Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Sure we don't want elder abuse, I don't want anyone to be abused. But, it is very important to "get out" the fact that those who give their all to care for their parents end up as Jesse Belle said at their whim. If they are delusional and one day take offense for being told not to reuse their toilet paper, they just might "get even" by telling a story. It is way for them to keep some sort of control. Truly not every elder is a sweet little person, sometimes they are quite passive agressive and totally annoyed by losing control and independence. Social Work should look into solving this problem.
(3)

@ social work,
looks like you came to a good place to get input on this subject. most of the replies are from a carer perspective and influenced by personal experiences.
(1)

Mandatory report? No leave it where it is. Teachers and healthcare workers, who are currently licensed in their profession are mandatory child abuse reportersand are required to show they are current in their training whenever they renew a license. I would only support making it mandatory for elders if the reporters were healthcare workers not just the man or woman in the street.
Inflicting physical injury on another is a crime so of course that needs to be reported to the police.
(0)

SW I am glad you brought this problem into the light-it needs to be addressed and I feel it is these days just as abuse to women is being talked about finally- a little late for me but God did protect me and I came out of the dark finally and stood my ground before he died. You are very insightfull and will make a good social worker-I hope you will continue to talk about this subject-an aide in a NH near hear was caught hitting a pt.-with a camera the daughter had put up in her mothers 's room -she hit the resident so hard she fell out of the w/c and this nursing home was believed to be one of the best.
(1)

JessieBelle I totally agree, carers are undervalued and recieve little if any support. Here in Australia and I am sure its a worldwide problem the shortage of residual care places. As our Elder population grows along with medical advances we are all living longer which has an impact on the services for the aged.
Like you said there is no easy solution for both the individual and for the carer. I guess all we really want is too grow old happily and with dignity. Dementia is a cruel and unforgiving disease the sooner they find a cure or a decent treatment the better. But that can be said for a long of diseases that plague our civilisation.
As a student its by reading your feedback and others I can gain insight into both sides of the story and hopefully take that insight with me into practice. Should I be lucky enough to gain employment into the aged care field I will be revisiting this website to further expand that insight.
(2)

If this law was there definitely it will make people think twice before they abuse a senior. For every law there are people who will try to misuse it. So it doesn't mean we should not have that law. I support mandatory reporting.
(1)

Physical abuse can occur after a person is driven to the point of frustration and anger, no one is going to stop and think about a law then, if they did there wouldn't be any murders, manslaughters, etal.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter