Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Yes, it's draining to figure out what to discuss with my MIL who has short-term memory loss and mild dementia, so we only call once a week (she doesn't remember that she just talked to someone on the phone). She's in a great LTC facililty near us. Since not much is happening at her end we just give her the low-down on what we did all week: what our kids & grandkids are up to, the mundane things we do at home, funny anecdotes if we can conjure any up personally or from the news. Nothing that requires her to participate in the convo. When we visit her in person we mostly just show her pictures on our laptop or funny YouTube videos of animals. What more can one do? You're doing your best so just rest in that fact!
(2)

JudyBlueEyes - yes! sometimes I have a reason to call earlier in the day and I also celebrate that I already called and to boot, probably had a reason => a productive, positive call. 'each call means love to you' yea. Yup.
(1)

I never called my parents daily, usually once a week or two. What in the world would I have to discuss with them that often. 

Of course I admit it, I am not a gabby phone person so I am sure that has something to do with it.

I would change to calling every other day, give yourself a break!
(1)

Yes... Same here. The pattern of the call is pretty routine to the point of following a "script." Some days a topic of interest in the news comes up and gives us a few minutes of genuine discussion . Others, it's painful to fill 5 minutes. I try to remember that each call means I love you to both of us. But on the occasion that I call earlier in the day it's a mini celebration to have a change in the pattern.
(2)

Oh my gosh! I am feeling the exact same thing right now. In fact, I even rationalized it as you did - someday I'll want to talk to her and she won't be here any longer. No advice but please know you are not alone. Hugs to all of us in this season of our lives❤️
(5)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter