Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
A post like this always brings a bit of a smile to my face. It really does. My friend, read this comment and you will feel a whole lot better about making that phone call.

You can end the call any time you want. You don't have to call every day if you don't want to. Also read some of the posts from the members of this forum. You'll see that daily phone call in a whole new light.

Like the folks here who are scrubbing piss and crap off of their furniture and rugs daily along with their "loved one" who lives with them. Don't forget the refusal to shower or even change a soiled pull-up or diaper until it's literally falling apart and sometimes not even then. Or the ones who are actual care slaves that have no life whatsoever because 24/7 it's the elder's needs only to be met with stubbornness, nastiness, and bullying. Let's not forget those who have to spend hour after miserable hour in a filthy, stinking, hoard of a house caregiving because the senior won't allow anything to be cleaned up or thrown away. Last but not least and God save them all, the ones who move into that home so mom or dad can be kept out of a care facility even when they should be in one for their own good. Did I mention that so many of those care slaves get treated with less respect than a bag of garbage in a landfill?

Think of all this that you don't have to deal with and you'll probably feel a lot better about the phone call.

Or you could cut the phone call down to every other day. Or once a week.
(4)

Yes yes yes!!! I can’t imagine exactly how it is for all the daughters that are still care givers or as said care slaves in the trenches of the “Good, Bad, and the Ugly” times. Mother daughters seem to have a complicated “love-hate” relationship. At least that was mine. So I relate to all the comments.

my Mom at 91 was hanging on to Independent senior living apt by her finger nails….refusing services and ugly abusive language when I tried to help. At times, I too wished her dead. She would at least be happy so I thought.

In one sudden weekend, she went from independent to memory care on hospice and lasted 4 months in what she called “a nightmare”.

Im an old RN that still works in AL and Memory care part time and take care of moms and dads and watch the sons and daughters struggles. All the same struggles on both sides. The suffering and the joys are all out of sight and under appreciated.

No one knows until they get there what it’s like. I pray for comfort and strength for all of us
(1)

i want to call out Burnt Caregiver’s as priceless and so poignant: “so many of those care slaves get treated with less respect than a bag of garbage in a landfill?”

I will use that some day with my siblings. After mom died, they turned on me, threatened me with a lawyer if I didn’t execute her will “exactly nothing more nothing less”. Brought up how they had concerns about my competency as a care giver and old childhood grievances.

I had a triple death as the two of them started the attacks 4 days after she died. They both lived far away and have no idea what 24/7 was like.

I”m worst than a bag of garbage in a landfill to them.
(1)

Thanks for acknowledging the pain. Hugs much appreciated🙏💕
(1)

I limit my calls to once a week, tops. And like you, I feel a huge wave of relief when I hang up, knowing I’m off the hook for another seven days (at least). Will I miss this at all, once she is finally gone? No, not at all. No.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter