Follow

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nursing-home-settles-historic-transgender-discrimination-complaint/ar-AAYxxSp?ocid=EMMX&cvid=77b337b3d0b748e98e6f64a154a29fb1

The case came about because LTC refused to consider a trans woman’s admittance as they’d be put with so called cisgender women

In California, actually, we’ve had a law like that since 2017.

I stand with the real women here. When they see these guys, they are mostly seeing guys, and I do not blame them. Most women further haven’t seen a adult penis besides their sex partners, and we are supposed to be ok with this?

Easy solution, each trans gets a single room until someone else of similar status gets admitted.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
My daughter worked in NHs for 20 yrs. The people living there are residents not patients. It is considered their home and as such should have the right to reject ANY roommate they do not want to share a room with. Now I understand that there are residents that would reject every roommate proposed so don't mean that type of person. But even if Medicaid is offsetting the cost, my SS and pension are going towards my care and as such I am paying for that room too and I should be able to share it with whom I want. And putting a transgender female/male, who still has his family jewels, in a room with me is not right. Its bad enough people need to share a room with someone else as it is but a woman should not have to share a room with a man who identifies as a woman.

It used to be said of transgender people, they had a women's brain in a male body and visa versa. I just read not so, its a mental problem. So are they born this way or something tramatic in their lives made them this way?

Like I said, I have never been around Transgender people. If I have been, I had no idea. If they feel people who are transgender have rights, then I do too. And if I do not want to share a room with them, then I should not be made to do so.
(3)

I wonder what would have happened in this case if it were a MALE patient and a FEMALE transgender.
(1)

A new layer of concern has just been added to the long list we already have to consider when selecting the appropriate facility for a loved one. As OP said, each trans should be required to have a single room until another is admitted, but they should also be required to pay the extra fees just as we would if we had a private room.

I respect that there many who like AlvaDeer are comfortable so it will not be a problem for some. Those who are not comfortable should not be forced to share a room. I agree they should not be refused but not ignore their unique situation. Every person should be respected without being required to be comfortable with or accept their beliefs.

When my father was in a NH, there was a family who was concerned when a new resident was admitted into their mother's room because the new resident yelled almost all night. They took their contract to the administration and showed them a clause giving them the right to ask for the new resident to be moved. Anyone with a loved one in a facility might want to start reviewing your contract to see if there is any wording that might be applied to this situation.
(2)

I saw on one of those discovery ID shows about a cross dressing man who murdered an airline stewardess at a hotel. He raped and killed her. Not all cross dressing men are just trans or gender fluid or whatever they are calling it to make it more mainstream. Many are truly mentally ill and very dangerous. There was another that was in the military and liked to cross dress and murdered a bunch of women too.

It is not as simple as people want to make it. Not as black and white as they want us to believe. Some is hormones. Some defects in the brain. Even serial killers are born the way they are because of lack of empathy. Even pedophiles have something wrong with them that makes them attracted to children. Many not outspoken in the gay community acknowledge these things but their voices are silenced. And i don't believe you can fix a person. That they will be the way they are. Look at josh duggar. As long as you are not hurting someone i am if the mindset of live and let live. But you have to draw the line somewhere. Just because you say you feel like a woman does not mean as a man you get carte blanche access to a woman's locker room etc.
(2)

You have to feel sorry for people whose gender identity is fluid. I’m reading a medical book quoting a survey that says that "mental health issues are more severe for trans people of all genders, and are linked to discrimination, a lack of trans community connection, rejection from family, faith, work and school, struggles for recognition, and access to timely, non-judgemental appropriate care”. Suicide rates are way up. The book goes on “so while the superficial view might be a more relaxed and less labelled world of sexuality and gender identity, serious issues still exist”.

That said, JoAnn’s daughter might find it less concerning than an elderly lady who has never even dreamed of such a situation. And I feel fairly elderly myself.
(2)

The news has published pictures in the links. This bio male looks like they are a man in a dress. Now I have no problems with what anyone wears, but most people would objectively see a man there.

Now picture the female roommate. Chances are, they haven’t seen an adult penis except on their sex partners their whole life. Because for their whole life, they weren’t forced to room with one. They are told that if they refuse, that this is simply irrational hate.

This is wrong. Women, particularly old women, have the right to live with women.
(3)

The bigger issue is that there are men lying about their trans status to get access to women for nefarious reasons. There have been cases of women being raped by so called trans men. It's interesting you don't see women who identify as men wanting to be in men's restrooms and other male only places. Unfortunately separation of the sexes by gender is in place for a reason. And that reason many times is a safety issue.
(3)

Who are the transgender people really hurting?
(0)

I don't want any roommate of any kind. I'm in Maine and being released to the nursing tomorrow for rehab.
(4)

I understand that they’ve professed they feel like women, but female is not a feeling.

https://www.centralmaine.com/2022/06/13/transgender-woman-and-the-assisted-living-home-that-rejected-her-reach-settlement/

This story says the mtf was rejected because they demanded a female roommate. In California since 2017, there’s been no choice on the part of the female roommate. The progressives are claiming that for them to reject on sex is exactly like rejecting on race.

What hogwash.

People with vaginas have good reason to fear people with penises in their private spaces. That is why there are gendered spaces.
(4)

Depends on the roommate. For myself I would be just fine with a trans person as roomie.
(0)

Joann, if you read further in, the story said they wouldn’t consider the admission because the person would have to have a female roommate. I sense this is more a Medicaid ltc situation where the home is paid to double bunk people.
(0)

Interesting, something I never thought about. With an Assisted Living he/she will have his/her own room so I see no problem there. And the article says it was Assisted living. Caring for him/her will be no different than caring for a man who dresses as a man. My problem would be if I had to share a room with him. I don't care who you identify with, you are born a man or a woman. No matter how much you change your body, ur DNA states you're a male or female. Since I do not know a transgender person, I really don't know if I would be comfortable with this.

No, I would not want a transgender person sharing a bathroom with me but as my daughter said "they use the stall and you will never know". This is true.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter