Follow

"Quoting writer Jane Ayres: "If I'm not learning, I'm not living."

Confabulations are a major annoyance — when friends, family, and the medical community take everything our loved ones say at face value, no matter how false we know their statements to be {http://www.alzcompend.info/?p=293}. I face this situation as a caregiver 24 hours a day. My interest is how other deal with, this situation. I understand correcting the person is inappropriate.

So what do YOU do when someone else is in the conversation?

Confabulation
People say things containing information that is blatantly false, tell of actions that inaccurately describe history, background and present situations. They are coherent, internally consistent, and appear relatively normal. This despite contradicting evidence.

Professionals recognize the person is Confabulating. This is distinct from lying because there is typically no intent to deceive and the person is unaware that the information is false. Life is fraught with confabulation speak.

we all Confabulate [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confabulation]. We make..verbal statements and/or actions that inaccurately describe history, background and present situations

"... similarities between confabulation and delusions; e.g., both, involve the production of unintentional false statements, both are resistant to contradictory evidence..." ~ Alzcarer

"delusions that are frequently observed in Alzheimer’s patients include beliefs about theft, the patient’s house not being his home, a spouse, is an impostor, belief an intruder is in the house, abandonment, spousal infidelity, and paranoia." ~ alzcompend.info

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
with dementia patients i usually carry on an undertone of corrections to the doc or visitors. its no good to correct the patient but the visitors catch on real quickly that the patient is harking malarky. what the patient is saying often goes in illogical circles. your corrections to the visitor make sense and are quickly regarded as the truth.
(0)

aunt edna told visiting home nurses the other day that she sometimes climbed in the tub and took a good bath. i told em B - S . shes fibbing to keep you from throwing her in the shower. my explaination made more sense than a feeble 90 yr old climbing in and out of a bathtub and a good chuckle was had by all..
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter