Loved ones predicting their own death.

Follow

Many believe that some people know when the end is near. And some believe that the loved one has some control over when they go.They either wait for a certain loved one to arrive or wait until everyone is gone so that they can die alone.

Well, we will see if this has any merit. Mom just told me that she will not be here into the morning (she is in the hospital). I asked her where she was going to be and she replied "in the ground". I asked her if she meant that she was going to kick the bucket tonight and she said "yes". She told me that "they" had come in earlier and prepared her for death.

I asked her just how she expected it to happen and she told me that two large football players will come in and tackle her. I asked her did she mean to say that two large football players were going to come in and wrestle her to her death and she replied "yes".

OK, we will know in the morning if she was right. And, by God, if the hospital calls me tomorrow and says "Mrs Mom2Mom, here is what happened, there were these two football players....". I am going to fall out.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.

Comments

Show:
1 2 3
M2M, I am so sorry, but relieved for her and you that it was peaceful. I hope you will have some time to decompress after this, and that you feel a sense of peace for everything you did for your mom.
(2)

M2M, I am so sorry. You did so much for her and she is very proud of you! She went in her own time and quietly.
(2)

m2m - godspeed to your Mum.

Such a strange dance - this aging and end of life journey. Holding on and letting go is confusing choreography.
(2)

Not totally wrong, m2m. She knew she was going. Maybe she dreamed the football players. You will never know. I am glad she went peacefully in her sleep. That offers some comfort. ((((((((hugs))))))
(1)

Mom got it totally wrong. She was off by about ten days and there were no football players involved. She ended up going in her sleep.
(4)

More (((((hugs)))))
(1)

(((((((Hugs)))))))
(1)

M2M, please know that I am thinking of you during this very stressful time, and that when the time comes, your Mom passes peacefully, as both my own parents did, now 13 and 14 years ago. I still miss them desperately, but know that I had the most wonderful of parents ever, and I can live on with the happy memories I have of them.

Regarding your kids, I suggest you leave it up to them, keep the visit short, and gave someone available to take them home, if you decide to stay on with her.

Kids of this age are amazingly resilient, when it comes to death and dying, especially if you have been preparing them for this outcome. Especially if they are particularly close to her.

Be very careful driving, especially because you are tired from lack of sleep, and your mind is racing and distracted. You take care Sweetie!
(7)

Mom2Mom, I'm hoping the football players will be gentle with your mom, and I would not have the kids around to see her pass which is a possibility. There is even a possibility that the footballers would be waiting outside the door to claim her until the kids left, as that is usually the protocol when there is someone present that the patient wants to protect. Good memories are plenty. ((Hugs))
(3)

Mom2mom, just sending you good thoughts and wishing you strength for this evening.
(4)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Related
Questions