Follow

My furry caregiver passed away three days ago and I feel she was the last straw holding me together. Daisy was such a tiny delicate kitty, but she steadily stood by me in times friends and family could not or did not want to deal with. Does anyone else feel like they help us so much on this road?

I posted about this two days ago, but not sure if it was deleted or if it is just that this new website makes it difficult to locate your own posts or search in order of date. Anyway, my apologies if repetitive but I thought it was worth trying again. Those with animal companions will understand.

Upon my husband’s diagnosis Daisy did not panic or treat him or I any differently. She stayed up with me through all the nights I could not sleep. She greeted us at the door when we came home after his surgeries and treatments. She gave us a sense of normalcy. She sat on my husband’s lap when he came home and eased his mind with her gentle purrs. She did not turn away from us even when circumstances made us feel isolated.

My mother has dementia, but my husband was the one with the illness in my household. Life became very complicated a couple years ago as I became a caregiver to both my mom and husband. I realized how important it is for the caregiver to have support and compassion since we go through our own difficult journey that often gets overlooked. To those with furry caregivers please give them a little bit of love today, extra treat, and most of all enjoy your time with them. I guess I didn’t have a question, but wanted to honor her darling soul and anyone else’s fur baby too.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Im so sorry for the loss of your fur baby. Animals in many instances are better then some people.
(0)

Daisy has gone where we will all go sooner or later. it is a very painful separation for those of us left behind because our fur babies are the loyalist of friends.
Many animals show exceptional bonding abilities. Dogs and cats are those we are most used to understanding but even little mice can show love.
Some show exceptional loyalty at the end of their human's life and will refuse to leave a dying loved ones side for any reason for days on end.
Even big guys like horses show a lot of love. Many times I have put my arms round a horses neck and they have responded by wrapping their head round my back and listening to all my problems.
One inadvertently threw me off over his head on a trail ride and immediately stopped and put his head down. I got back on and all the way home he kept looking round as if asking if I was alright.
I know it is painful now but don't let too much time pass before you adopt another or two fur babies
Love and furry hugs.
(3)

GingerMay
I totally get it!! Whenever life gets too overwhelming, one of my three dogs (or my fur babies) seems to know it, climbs up on my lap and shares their "quiet peace" with me. They never want anything in return except my love (and the occasional treat :)) The unconditional, unquestioning love they provide are a Godsend and help me to maintain my sanity during life's most stressful times.
Good for you that you are going to find another new friend soon. While one fur baby can never replace a lost love, the different personalities they all have will bring a newfound sense of wonder back into your life.
My sincere condolences on the loss of your beloved Daisy!!
(1)

Thanks everyone for your comments and sharing stories of your own fur babies. It gives me comfort to know I am not alone with realizing how much an animal companion fills our home and hearts. I read "The Rainbow Bridge" and do believe we are reunited with our pets eventually. In the next few weeks, I plan to start looking at the local shelter for another pet. I feel they are such a blessing.
(2)

I have been caring for my husband for 6 years. He has memory loss and other cognitive problems due to chemo. A year ago his mother (95) moved in with us. She is in a wheelchair, ostemy bag, etc. I also work full time at a stressful job. I leave a stressful job and go home to another stressful job.

As my name implies, I have cats, actually 9 cats. (All rescues) My husband loves the cats and takes care of them (box, food, etc). I also foster kittens through the shelter where I volunteer. They make me happy and relieve the stress.

I totally understand that your kitten was your lifeline. Cats do not judge, do not criticize, they only want to be loved. And science has proven what we know - that purring can relieve stress. I tell people that kittens and gin keep me sane. I will not give up fostering for that reason.

When the time is right, perhaps you could consider adopting another kitten. The new one would not replace the one you lost. I have lost many cats over the years. One in particular I lost 15 years ago and I still miss her. However the new ones give me a lot of comfort and support.

Perhaps you could go to a no-kill shelter and just look. If you go to a no-kill shelter you will not feel guilty for not finding the perfect one right away. I feel certain that another kitten or cat will touch your heart, maybe not the first time, but eventually. You will know. I know you must feel very lonely without your furbaby. You can give and get love from another kittten and still honor the one who has crossed the Rainbow Bridge.
(1)

The last day of my Mom's life I had just come home from visiting her thinking that it may be her last day but not knowing for sure. I was laying on the couch crying and my little tabby came and sat on my chest and touched my face with her paw. I'm sure she knew something.

Our furry friends are very perceptive for sure!

Sorry for your loss!
(2)

So sorry for your loss.  I also am caring for 2 people, and my young Labrador is essential to all of us!  The last time we lost a furry caregiver, I could feel his energy coming into the room on many days.
(3)

I am so very sorry for your lost.
This is a very hard lost, not that any lost is easy.
Our fur babies do so much for us and ask very little of us.
My cat Scooter was my rock. I was sick for many yrs and she never left my side. As friends come and go Scooter was there by my side. Parents got sick and I was crying in the dark Scooter was there. I wish she was here now, although, I think she would beat up Moses my new cat. I feel your pain.
I like to believe Scooter is still with me...it sounds stupid...but it makes me feel better.
I like to think Daisy is with you.
Again, I am sorry for your lost.

May God be with you in your time of need and send you a new furry little friend in Jesus' name. Amen
(4)

Rest in peace Daisy. You were a best friend anyone could ever have.

My furry care giver is my 10 lb. toy poodle named Sandy. I call her my Sandy therapy. She keeps me sane and gives me so much love and joy.
(4)

Sometimes I feel that my pet is the only sane one in the household - very sad to hear of your kitty passing to the Rainbow Bridge. There's a photo frame for sale that says ' thanks, I had a wonderful time.' I'm sure you gave Daisy a great home.
(4)

Read Sally goes to heaven it's about a dog but think of it as your cat also
(2)

I am so heartbroken over your loss. For those of us (that had furry caregivers) it’s like losing a family member. To me, a house is not a home without a pet.
We lost our beloved collie 6/14/17 & I am still not over losing him. Then I had a hip replacement in 1/18 & my goal is to get well enough physically to get a dog. I am not there yet.
I get my “dog fix” now when my best friend travels and brings her Labrador here. She is 11 y/o & very mellow & sweet. When she leaves (the dog) I find myself looking for her around the house. It’s weird but it just validates my need for my own canine.
I know exactly how you feel. RIP Daisy. Love to her humans as well!
(5)

I'm so sorry for your loss Ginger.

I never realized how heartbreaking it could be to lose a pet till my 16 year old border collie had to be put down 2 years ago. She was also my rock...my best friend when everyone else turned away from the ugliness and isolation of being a dementia caregiver... my girl was there for me and my parents... always.

Dogs and cats are the best and can provide so much unconditional love a comfort ..regardless of the circumstance. Us humans could learn some lessons from them.

Fly high sweet Daisy.. I am sure she is still looking out for you!

((hugs))
(4)

Dear Ginger May, your post almost made me cry. Daisy gave you a different way to look at what is important, with simple love through every crisis. Bless her tiny heart.
(4)

Hi, Ginger. I'm so sorry you lost your fur baby, your companion through it all. I'm going to put a link here to a thread where some other users on the site talk about our pets, and if you want to go there to talk more about Daisy, you'd be most welcome.

You can just keep posting comments in this Discussion thread you've started, too. I thought I'd extend an invitation to the "Cats Behaving Badly" thread, though, because it's an ongoing thread where many caregivers chat about our current and previous pet's antics and issues.

https://www.agingcare.com/discussions/caregivers-cats-behaving-badly-426496.htm
(3)

Hi GingerMay,
Please accept our condolences on the loss of your loyal companion, Daisy.
Any time that you would like to review something you have posted, click your profile picture in the top right corner. It will open a profile menu that contains direct links to your personal profile information. If you click "Activity" you will see everything that you have posted on the site.
Here is a link to the original question you posted,
https://www.agingcare.com/questions/coping-after-your-furry-caregiver-pet-passes-442307.htm?orderBy=oldest
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter