Follow
Read More
3 4 5 6 7
Knees are recovering okay, I figured out that it was the quick direction change in the walk forward then back ward move that was causing the strain so I've changed that. I've been looking for some different exercise programs but I haven't found anything else I like yet, the ones aimed at seniors are not challenging and all the other "beginner" ones I've found are way too intense.

As for the shovelling - I've got one of those big snow scoops so although it's heavy pushing I don't do any lifting.
(1)

CW, you certainly got your exercise for at least a couple of days. Hoping the best for you and being able to move tomorrow.

How are the knees?
(0)

Shovelled the driveway - rain then snow makes for heavy slush 😫
(2)

LOL, I am still walking the hall. May be ready to try Sansone again. CW, I can see where her workouts could be hard on the knees.
(2)

Sidewalks are icy as heck here today so after a quick walk to the dentist office I'm back to Leslie Sansone's videos. As simple as they are I've run into some problems with my knees so I have to modify the moves that are causing that.
(1)

HI CW and all. I am doing great, still hall walking most of the time. I.like to get it done in the morning and it is cold out. Some afternoons are pleasant enough, but until I want to get a full three miles in each day won't be going out.

Covid is so bad here. About 640 active cases last Thursday. Must check today. The National Western has really caused quite a spike here.
(2)

I'm really enjoying the Leslie Sansone videos, no complicated moves or crazy over the top pace, just steady movement!
How are you doing Glad?
(0)

I went for an outside walk today. This big round yellow thing was in the sky today. Not sure but I think it was..............wait for it.........THE SUN!!!!!

I almost didn't recognize it. ;)
(7)

Ok, I am officially whipped! Increased reps and added weight. Hopefully, I will sleep well. One stretch I just cannot seem to get and sure exposes my lack of coordination! "The world's greatest stretch" absolutely kills me! 😃😅😅 I think it is called klutz!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aiN-2yAIkec
(2)

Glad, pace yourself. Don't overdo it. You are doing great. You put me to shame. Since the weather's been crappy and workout room is closed due to covid I've done nothing.
(2)

Exercised too late last night, I think. I had a terrible night.
I was still walking an hour before I went to bed.

Today got another three miles, exhausted stopped by about 4. Hoping fora good night's sleep.😴😴
(2)

I did a google search for 15 minute walking workout videos - there are a lot of them so I think I'll try some out to add variety to my routine.
(1)

I think I will be fine tomorrow. What is really surprising me is how this watch helps to motivate me. Maybe 5 miles tomorrow? Just kidding.😉🌝
(2)

Glad if you are like me you'll do nothing tomorrow. :)

I always push myself too hard one day and then pay for it the next day and then don't do anything for the rest of the week.

But you aren't like me Glad so don't worry.
(2)

Ended up with 3 miles today, did not do another six minutes of 12 minute mile.
But 3 miles is twice of what I usually do. See what happens tomorrow.
(2)

Well I made six minutes, might try another six minutes later. And amazing, I have a Withings Move watch that counts steps and such. 1.3 miles is about 3,000 steps. This 6 minutes was about 445 steps, not very close to 750 for about a half of a mile.
(1)

I might try that 12 minute/1 mile this afternoon. Looks a bit too energetic for me. I did my 1.5 mile inside hall walk this morning. It was 18 degrees outside.
(1)

Thanks for that Grandmaofeight, I just did her 12 minute 1 mile routine, that was a fun change!
(1)

My exercise was nearly impossible to do when both my parents were alive. I have recently committed to myself for my sanity. I love Leslie Sansone videos. You can find many on YouTube for free and I downloaded the app last week which has tons of walks. It is in home walking and takes very little space. Add in some upper body free weight exercises and you would be surprised how effective it is
(2)

It's a beautiful sunny morning here today, I know it was supposed to get cold last night but it's 11:00 now, it can't be that bad, right?
Checks thermometer... -18°C (around 0°F)
Hm, maybe I'll walk inside today.
(1)

Hi I am driving batty.I am here for you and yes I would love to help you. Please let's help and support each other and be here for each other ok? I am into walking, in the house and indoors, kick boxing, pilates,karate, yoga and meditation. Lets get started ok?😀
(2)

I bought a cheap stepup bench from Walmart. Doing 10 on each side is great for balance and mobility.
(4)

I am going to think about it some more.
(1)

Yeah well, despite my reluctance I forced myself out the door.

There are 23 steps from my front bedroom wall to the other bedroom wall at the back of the house, then back, back again only this time through dining room, then downstairs and twice back and forth down there, then upstairs - repeat. This is how I get my 250 steps each hour, and on days I can't go out if I concentrate on 1000 steps each hour I can hit my 10,000 step target. It gets old.
Plus... going outside is good for my mental health. But this time of year the trail is a treacherous rutted icy pathway and I end up walking main street from end to end (small town, so that's slightly more than 1.25 miles each way).

I have snowshoed other years but we've had a mild winter, so I can't do that. I haven't been able to cross country ski since I broke my ankle 30 yrs ago.
(5)

Or you may be able to walk a circle in your house, which is what I do, throwing in some stairs periodically. You can add in squats, modified plank, some pulling exercises with an elastic band, wall push up starts that push up type of exercise gently.

Remember the XBX Canadian Airforce exercises? I used to do them. They can all be done inside with no equipment, I was thinking of starting them again - gently, You can download a PDF document of them
(1)

CW, you just need a long hallway. Mine is 45 steps round trip. This afternoon I could have walked outside but I have this post cancer program I am doing. So this afternoon it is stretching and other exercises, including the sumo squat.😮 Very aptly named you can imagine what it is.😉

CW, have you seen eldergym?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TinZ3_BNvNk

Why did you search for outside CW? Snowshoeing, cross country skiing? Snowshoeing is great exercise if you have enough snow.

Get a stability ball and a couple of weights.
(2)

I don't want to walk today so I googled outdoor exercises for seniors. From WebMD

biking... uhm, it's winter
golf - see above
swimming - yeah, the pool's covered in ice
gardening.... Uhm..
tennis.... but...
water aerobics.... IT'S WINTER!!

tai chi and yoga, playing with children 🙄

I specified for seniors in my search because otherwise I get results like running a marathon
(1)

Well, met virtually with trainer/coach/pt yesterday. Went through the different exercises I will be doing, about 15 different ones. I was a bit sore today. Then he sent the first full workout for today. I went through it, finished it, and now even my fingers are sore.😦😦

I am in terrible shape. Will now check into silver sneakers through a part b supplement. Leaning towards UHC through AARP. Theirs is not silver sneakers but called Renew Active. There is only two gyms in town one takes silver sneakers, the other takes SS and Renew. The one that takes both is the only one with a pool.

Will think about it a bit longer.
(6)

Lol @ Willie!
(0)

I talked to sister for 54 minutes this morning so I've got 5000 steps logged🤣
(3)

3 4 5 6 7
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter