Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
OK - I'm motivated. Will get dressed now and start exercising with a YouTube video
(2)

I never liked those 20 minute over the top workout videos, they were too intense for me even when I was younger. I've found a couple of very easy 15 - 20 minute exercise for seniors videos on youtube that I've been using just to get myself off my a** and moving. I do try to get out and walk most days too.
(3)

I love workout DVDs and my goal is to do one every morning. That fluctuates based on how I'm feeling. Hoping to lose a few pounds and gain more energy
(2)

Also trying to exercise more. Walking outside and dancing to music at home. Hoping to lose some stomach fat so my outfits look better.
(2)

JuliaRose,

This is great! Wish all caregivers really devoted some time to do something for THEM. And although I know exercising is not necessarily pleasurable ( ‘me’ time should ideally be enjoyable) it brings so many benefits to our physical and mental health.
So here is what I started doing about two weeks ago since I get up early anyway and after all my morning to-dos here in the house and for my mom are completed, I go to the gym and do cardio first (the elliptical), which I find is the most difficult part, so I like to get it done with first 😆. And I create imaginary competition, for example once I calculate I have been on the elliptical for about ten minutes I look for someone that is just starting and say to myself: I’ll keep doing it for ten minutes extra after he or she finishes; or I compete with the calories burned, since I can see others machines, I try to burn more calories than others doing it for the same amount of time I am.
Call me crazy but it motivates me and keeps me engaged..and entertained! Oh, and I watch TV so I’m not only focused on the exercise or on how tired I am, normally The Big Bang Theory or Friends...and I know that after one and a half shows I will be done! Lol I do it for about 35 minutes.
Then I work on my abs with two different machines, I think in total I do about five series of ten in one and three series of ten in the other. Then I do arms and legs. So I try to work on all areas.
Im also modifying how I eat, cutting down carbs and sugar almost to nothing, and having a very complete lunch -healthy but yummy, made by me- and no dinner. So far I have lost about 7 pounds, but my goal is to lose more, so I definitely appreciate this idea to motivate each other and to keep ourselves honest! Thank you Julia, and will keep in touch! Good luck with your exercising plan and let’s do it!!!
(3)

I am game.

My goal is to exercise at least 5 minutes in the morning before I start my day and 5 minutes at night before bed. Once I start exercising, I usually keep going for about 10 minutes. I've been watching self defense/martial art for fitness videos on YouTube and follow along. It helps motivate me.

Each day, I'll post here to let others know if I did or didn't exercise. I plan to weigh myself at the end of this month, and I will report how much weigh loss (hopefully not gain) since the last time I got on the scale (end of November).

Lets get healthy!!!
(2)

It's great to hear from you both! Snoopy, it sounds like you have a good routine of being active. I agree with you that I do best by attending an exercise class, but that's not possible right now. Riverdale, I'm impressed that you do barre! I was never flexible enough to enjoy that, but I envy those who can.

No more excuses for me. That's why I started this thread. I have to exercise, but again I let today slip by without moving! (unless you count showering my hubby and commode transfers...)

Here are the reasons I want to exercise: I'm still in my 30s, but my muscles are very tight and my shoulder and hip joints are starting to hurt. I also have poor posture probably due to weak back muscles. Plus, a big eye opener has been watching over the last 5 years the toll of not exercising on the human body and mind. It is scary to see the muscles waste away. I don't want that to happen to me.

I OWE it to Myself to not let my life pass me by, but to treat my body and mind well. I'm great at making plans, but execution is the key...

Here are my ideas:
- 2 days a week, walk outside for 20 minutes (I do this already)
- One day a week, go to the gym. Ideally, Tuesdays (as if I can schedule anything)
- 2 days a week, do a Zumba video
- 2 days a week ... I'm not sure. If I had an elliptical at home, I'd do that. Any ideas?

I tried to start the mornings with a 10-minute stretching Pilates video each morning. I noticed improvement in my tight muscles and joints, but then I stopped for no reason. It's so easy to stop... ugh.

Monday goal: stretch in the AM, then do zumba when convenient. I'll let you know how it goes.

What's your goal for the day?
(0)

I'm in! I try to get exercise every day. I miss it when I don't, usually at bedtime when I find I have more trouble falling asleep if I haven't at least done a little something for a few minutes, however minor.

Tonight my sister I share caregiving with took the reins after being away today, and I went for a nice long walk to a nearby park, where I could go on a little mini-hike and see some sun-tipped clouds at sunset.

Hiking/walking in nature is my favorite exercise. I've never tried barre, but I used to love yoga B.C.(Before Caregiving). I might go back to trying to go to a weekly class again, for the structure a class gives. Having a set time when you HAVE to stretch and breathe is great. The $$$ is a factor. I have had a wonderful yoga teacher for several years who has urged me to come back to her class without paying, but of course I feel weird about doing that.

JuliaRose, what exercise are you planning to do at home? Exercise tapes? YouTube exercise? Old-school calisthenics? Dancing to a favorite song?
(1)

I really like barre classes. This month I am in NY getting our house ready for sale. We have moved to SC for retirement and for better and more affordable AL for my mother. I used to take classes here but that studio closed and I just feel so overwhelmed with packing. I can't wait to get this house on the market and go back to SC and classes there and the life I prefer. I am so over living in NY.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter