Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Barb, good for you!
(2)

I did 12 minutes of walking on the treadmill today! First time in a long time. This thread inspired me!
(5)

JuliaRose - 10 minute Zumba workout sounds like something that would fit my schedule. I bet there are some Zumba videos on YouTube. I'll check. So far, I have saved some workout videos so I can watch later and not have to search for them. I got a couple of Fitness blender vids, a self defense for fitness vid, a stretching for dancer vid, even a chiropractor vid on how to massage your neck to get rid of knots and pain.

I just finished doing arm exercise to tone up and stop the developing underarm flaps that come with age.

Rosses - so glad you can go to the gym. Yes, it's time for yourself that is so so needed.

Snoopy - girl push-ups are just fine. That's what I do too.
(2)

Rosses, your little tea break sounds wonderful!

Today finally did some upper body work, 10 "girl" push-ups. Yay! Want to keep going, with some lower and upper body work every day.
(2)

How are we doing exercising buddies (and bodies;)? I am doing five days a week at the gym so I didn’t go yesterday, but I have to say, I was absolutely depleted in terms of energy, so I really couldn’t have gone even if I wanted to. It actually got me concerned because i normally don’t feel like that. I literally had trouble to get up and do my normal to-dos, when I don’t have the luxury to take a day off from my caregiving duties and normal house duties.
But yesterday I tell you, it was a physical and mental shutdown; today I forced myself to get out of it and also tried to eat more because I’m afraid I might be overdoing it, but I think I’m going back to normal. If there is something I can tell you is that I won’t quit! Actually exercising helps me a great deal, aside from the multiple obvious benefits, it makes me get out of the house and feel I have some time that is mine, just mine.
Actually on Friday after working out, I went to a nice coffee shop and had a delicious and relaxing jasmine tea that really did me well, just to seat outside and look at people on a nice sunny morning was a blessing, even if still sweaty and in my workout clothes; I might do it more often.

It is these little moments that we all need to make room for and look forward to, because those are the drops of sunshine in a life that sometimes tends to hide its light.
Hope we all keep going strong!!
(3)

I’m with you, PolarBear!

Thanks for your your encouragement yesterday. I did some stretching before bed. Today is feeling a bit better, so after grocery shopping, I plan to do one of those cheery Zumba 10 minute workouts.
(1)

Bright and shine. Well not exactly. Rain is coming. But I'm ready for my 5 to 10 minutes of exercise to get blood flowing and circulating...

Anyone joining me today?
(2)

OMG! 2am? That was very late. No wonder you felt groggy. Just exercise as much as you can, so you don't lose your streak. Maybe a few rounds of jumping jacks. Those help circulate blood all over your body.
(1)

It is tough keeping to an exercise routine! The other day, I actually really enjoyed stretching before bed. But then yesterday was like a rat race and I didn’t finish until 2 AM. Too tired to do anything at that point. Today, I’m groggy, hungry, and a bit down. But I *should* do something just not to lose momentum and fall back into the habit of not moving. So many excuses not to be active, but anyway, that’s life...
(1)

Finally finished about 10 minutes of cardio exercise with multiple interruptions by my mom in between.
(3)

I remembered this online challenge today and did 21 good, legit squats while my dad brushed his teeth! Now need to start doing upper body stuff. . .
(2)

Meshque- wow!!! You did gooood.
(2)

You all are doing great.
I split more wood today for my cardio. Plus doing my 2 hour bike ride. Trying to get some time to do sit ups and pushups and weights. I really try and get a work out in whatever I have to do for the day.
Don't forget to be drinking your water. I probably drink over a gallon a day. But, I like water. People get dehydrated in winter as well as summer. Your muscles need that water.
I am way more boring than ya'll.
Keep up the good work.
(2)

Hi JuliaRose. Don't be too hard on yourself.

When I'm short on time, I do my exercise right before going to sleep, for about 5 minutes. I do 10 sit ups in bed, it gets my heart pumping, I rest, then do 10 more. Then I do the leg lifting, maybe 10 repetitions and 10 more, then call it the day. It usually takes less than 5 minute total, but it gets my heart rate up.

15 minutes is good if you can find the time. What I find is that I only want to commit to a minimum of 5 minutes, then if I want to I can continue, and I usually do. So, if I can't do more than 5, I don't feel so guilty.
(2)

It sounds worse than it was! I started with the mindset to do five, and rested. Then, I aimed for 5 more.

The hard thing is now it’s 10:20, and I had no chance to exercise nor do my schoolwork today. (I teach) Should I pass today? I still have a few hours until my usual bedtime. I think I’ll look for a 15 minute stretch video. That’s the best I can do!
(1)

Hm, I'm tired just reading that. You go girl😉
(0)

Day 3 (yesterday) of 7 was successful. I did sit ups, push ups, stretches, and exercises with hand weights for 15 minutes. I’m starting to feel a bit sore, so I think it’s working!

I haven’t done anything yet today, but plan to after dinner. I have to keep it up and meet the 7 day challenge, right PolarBear?
(1)

watching a Fitness Blend video on YouTube and following along...
(2)

PolarBear, Great! Let’s do this!

That video... 😄
(1)

Jolly funny! I'm with Mallory.
(1)

Hilarious, especially the two people on the side lol
(1)

Hilarious exercise video. Thought I'd share.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSr7HPikHog
(2)

Julia - I'm with you. Will exercise everyday.
(1)

2 days in a row! I’m on a roll... lol! Let’s see if I can exercise every day for a week. Anyone want to join me?

If you like beginner zumba, I found the dancers very sweet and full of positivity that wasn’t fake on this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRkNfdlm5Qs.

Ginger, that’s so true about keeping positive even if you miss a few days or run into difficulty. Just get back into it.

Snoopy, I do the same with bad timing!
(2)

Went for a short walk outside yesterday evening despite raininess and brief hail. (I was walking along with an umbrella and a reasonably gentle pitter-patter of rain then suddenly feeling crunchiness underfoot and thinking, Oh, hail no!!) Detoured to return up a hilly street to get extra leg work in.

I have a pretty good walking routine going already, so my current exercise goal is to get back into a bit of strength training to build muscle: squats, push-ups and using the pro-quality kettle bell from the kettle bell class I used to take a couple of years ago.

My problem is that I completely forget to do any strength training except for times when I can't do it (for example, right during or after a meal, about to go to bed when my body needs to wind down, etc.). I need to try to link it to a walk or some other activity. . .
(2)

I like this thread. I wanted to mention I think it's important not to get into negative self-talk if we do not meet a particular objective but instead focus on the long term habits we are building. I hope we find something we enjoy that makes us feel better afterward.
I live in the Midwest. It was 20 below zero last week, then snowed, now an ice storm. Getting outside is hit and miss. I go to the Y and do the treadmill, and just enrolled in a 6-week Tai Chi class. Other than that, each morning I take a few minutes to stretch, breathe and do light weight lifts. Maybe it's my age or just stress, but about a year ago I woke up with aches and pains in my joints I've never felt before and knew I had to do something for myself.
(3)

Seeing this thread reminds me it's time to get up and start my day with some exercise...

My A1C level is at borderline at last year's test. I intend to lower it this year and stay within the normal range,
(2)

I too am trying to get back in shape. Hard to find time and motivation. But I am determined, and this accountability thing might be beneficial to us all.
So I have been eating healthy. Started riding my exercise bike for about 2 hours every night after Mom goes to bed.
Today I got good cardio and strength training in cutting, splitting and stacking wood. :)
I want to start my exercise Dvd next Monday, that is when I can begin to set aside the time. It is called power 90, it has cardio and strength training, and I have done it before and had great results. So I am desperate to get back in the shape I was bc.
Best wishes everyone, we can do this. YES WE CAN!! Right? :)
(4)

I successfully did the Zumba YouTube video, too! I almost chickened out because my hubby was very needy today, not wanting me to leave his vicinity, but instead, I set up my laptop in his room with the sound on low and jumped around for 20 minutes trying to copy the movements. It’s a tough workout! I’m sure I looked hilarious, but he didn’t comment.

Hard to believe that 20 minutes of exercise a day can change your life and make you less likely to get diabetes, high blood pressure, etc!
(2)

That's great, everyone! I wish we could reply to individual posts. Just imagine that I'm sending encouragement to each of you.

As for myself, I completed my morning pilates... It's a nice video by the seaside, not too rigorous like many of the videos. Cwillie, I agree that many are too intense. Maybe you'd like this video, too: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eZTnGRulqo
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter