Follow
Read More
I would love to. I struggled with anorexia and now I am 50 still thin but I really want to gain muscle back. How can we do this. I am all in
(3)

Polar bear,
If you do the arm/shoulder stretch in the warm shower, add a massage, your arm will feel better sooner. Imo.

CWillie,
I know, because when I say I can't walk at times, it means it hurts so very much to walk, and I need to hold on to the walls, or just sit down for awhile, try again later.
Being more physically fit would help. Reminder: In a disaster emergency, we will be YO-YO. Getting up and down on our own.

YO-YO = You are on your own!
(2)

Every time I get down on my knees for any reason I remember my mother telling me how one day she couldn't get up again after getting a can from the back of her lower cupboard. I guess she must have found a way somehow since she wasn't on the floor when she told me the story🤔.
(2)

Imagine trying to get down on the floor next to the bird's cage, (during an earthquake), and finding your knees no longer bend enough to stay there.
That "squat" is all I was able to do.

A reminder to increase my walking, and any exercise I can possibly do.

Hello exercise buddies!
(3)

Just did some squats and stretching...
(3)

Remember any exercise is better than no exercise.

Motivation: Our health and well being
(3)

Today I took my coffee over to the nearby park to watch the kids at the splash pad and, swings and climbers and I thought - why can't grown up fitness equipment be fun like that?
(3)

Massage and range of motion exercises needed for the pain.
Outside......not so much.
But I love the exercise buddies!
(2)

hi smeshque - great that you're continuing to exercise. My arm is better, but still weak. I'm still doing the stretching exercise that the PT told me to do. It does help. I can move my arm much better, it's just the strength that hasn't come back fully. I'm going to see the PT in a week and will ask him what to do to regain my strength.

Last night, I did some squats and karate kicks. Will do some more tonight.
(1)

I've been trying to get out on the trails a few times a week, plus I've done a couple of days of floor exercises and free weights. One of my challenges is my back wants to scream at me when I'm on the floor so half my workout is just working on straightening my spine.
(1)

How is everyone doing?
PB- how is the arm?
Julia- been walking?
CW- getting anymore walk/runs in?

I carry on. Hoping everyone is keeping moving

Hugs
(1)

Thanks for asking Julia. I really overdid my arm exercise and didn't do warm up. I woke up and literally could not lift my left arm. The doc said my tendon was inflamed. I am now on anti-inflammatory med and doing physical therapy. Arm is much better now, no more pain but doesn't have the full range of motion yet and is still weak.

I'm taking it easy right now and only doing the stretching exercises that the PT guy showed me.

How are you all doing with your exercises?
(1)

Good job, CWillie! I was thinking of going for a run, too. The weather is just so beautiful, it makes me want to get outside.

How is everyone else doing? Polar bear, how’s your shoulder? I hope it’s feeling better.
(2)

Thank you for all the inspiration, finding this thread at the top of my news feed gave me the push I needed to get out of my chair and out the door. I went for a walk/run today, the first time I've run at all since... I dunno, last summer I guess. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to run at all even with the walks in between, but I could!
(4)

My left shoulder joint has been hurting a lot the last few days and has been out of commission since. I think I really overdid the stretching and strengthening exercises. The urgent care doc said it probably was inflammation. I need to go see my regular doc so she can order an MRI to check for damages. Hopefully I can get an appointment tomorrow. So, I haven't been exercised. I probably can do some light exercise with my other arm and legs.

meshsque - do you have some knee braces? Those would protect your knees when you jog.

My DH used to run 5K, 10K, 15K races, 1/2 and full marathons. His knees are now paying the price. I also used to jog but knees are no longer able to take the excessive pounding. So I only jog in place for 5 to 10 minutes the most because not exercising and putting weight on the knees also cause the knees to wear out and go weak.

Julia- glad you found a nice lake to do your walking. It makes the time go by faster when you have something nice to look at.

Send - cleaning is exercise, too, and you kill two birds with one stone.
(2)

Smeshque, I did start walking! 15 minutes exploring around the new dialysis clinic. What I found surprised me: a beautiful small lake that has a paved trail and benches in the shade! I’ll be headed there for my walks next week!
(3)

Worked so hard cleaning, not really exercise, but I kept moving! Then, I was very hungry, but ate well. So, I am still an exercise buddy, committing to activity.

Hoping everyone can find some enjoyable activity. I am replacing the word exercise, for activity. My weight has not go n e up.

Good to hear of everyone's successes, or for just staying with it.

Smeshque, sounds good!
(2)

Julia- Were you able to start walking?

PB- were your efforts renewed?

Just checking in and on.

I use to jog, I loved jogging. But the years i have spent laboring on the farm and in construction with DH, and maybe the years of jogging have taken a toll on my knees. Just that they have some aches and pains every once in a while. But I have been thinking as soon as the wheat comes down, I am going to see about starting to jog again. It will be on dirt instead of concrete, which is what I use to run on. So the dirt will be less hard on my knees. I mean I still run short distance like from location A to location B and so on. But to run for the sake of running, I use to love it. And I think it would do me good. Or at least if I cannot anymore I can get it out of my head and move on to something else.
We will see. I have still been having good progress, I hope you all do too. It is rough but we can do all things.....
(1)

Hi! I’m getting back in the game! Starting next week, I plan to walk three days a week while my husband is at dialysis.
(3)

smeshque - that's wonderful that you keep losing weight. Keep up the good work. I'm still exercising but weight has not come down. Need to renew my effort. Glad you touch base because I was getting a little lazy.
(2)

How are the exercises going? I still carry on the same routine. scale has gone down more.

I hope you all are keeping active any way you can. Lots of little bits equal a lot. So a few minutes here and there add up.

Best wishes everyone, it is not an easy task. But we can do it.
(1)

Just did some push-ups after a few weeks of only walking. I'm going to keep at it! As a macho yet funny and self-aware male trainer at a gym I used to frequent before caregiving would always say in late spring: summer is coming, time to get the guns [arm muscles] going!
(3)

Good Job Polar Bear. Keep at it.

And with Cwillie as a Cheerleader, how can one not do well?
(2)

Good work polarbear! Here's a quote for the day

Success Is The Sum Of Small Efforts, Repeated Day In And Day Out
(6)

Just finished 15 minutes of aerobics exercise, and 5 minutes of hand weight.

I indulged a little too much over the weekend, so need to work it off before it takes permanent residence somewhere on my tummy.

Plus the weather is warming up soon. I plan on using the pool at least twice a week and need not scare the kids when I'm in my bathing suit.

How are you all doing with your exercise?
(2)

I hope everyone is keeping active as possible.
(3)

Send - common. You get yourself another swimsuit Costco has them in the warehouses and online, cheap and good quality. No excuse.
(2)

My favorite exercise is swimming.
Although there is a community pool where I live, it is unheated, frquented by toddlers in diapers. So, for only $5, there is a huge olympic sized heated pool at the city's sports complex.
When I find my swimsuit, I will be going.
Towel, swimsuit, swim shoes, bag.
(4)

I went birding today, which is more more stealthily creeping through the woodland trails than brisk exercise, nevertheless my hips are feeling it as it added a couple of miles to my daily step count. It was quiet on the trail but I spotted some warblers, red bellied woodpeckers and maybe a wood thrush (darn thing wouldn't sit still).
(4)

Good thing I stopped by my bed to rest, I can now answer you CWillie.

I forget, what was the question? What i s wrong with your chair?

As for forcing oneself onto t h e floor, most of us just wait for when we will be falling there anyway.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter