Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
4 5 6 7 8
It is disappointing to report that I just weighed myself and as suspected I gained 2 pounds since November.

I will renew my effort to exercise daily. I've been doing it on and off only. This week and next, I am going to weigh myself daily in the morning just to remind myself to not over-indulge.

Hope everyone is working out, exercising, keeping fit and eating healthy.
(2)

Polar bear,
Looked this up on the internet.
Also, I think one may drive themselves nuts weighing daily, but really, I would be doing that too if I owned a scale.

Here it is:
"Daily weight fluctuation is normal. The average adult's weight fluctuates up to 5 or 6 pounds per day. It all comes down to what and when you eat, drink, exercise, and even sleep."

Wishing you all successes in your efforts to exercise.
(2)

Some days, just walking the dog is enough!
(2)

Good to know Send. I'll weigh myself the same time each day, early morning before breakfast, so the the results should be consistent. Will report back in a week.
(1)

Send - you're so right about the weight fluctuates. I weighed myself just now, after the usual morning routine and before breakfast, I'm down 2 pounds. I was very surprised. I expected it to be the same. But I won't let that temporary weight loss give me permission to over-indulge.

Question for everyone. How many calories do you think you consume each day? Anyone keeps track?

I haven't kept track of my calorie count, but my guess is around 1500.
(0)

I am a new caregiver for my wife and I am just getting things sorted out.
She has mobility problems and is rapidly developing Alzheimer's.
I have now got 10 hours of home care weekly arranged to allow me to go back to my 4 days a week gym workout and a few hours for shopping.
I have only been out of the house once in the past 2 weeks and it gets pretty lonely and confining with nobody to have a sensible conversation with.
(2)

JARLATHK - Welcome to the forum. So glad you found it. I stumbled upon it by chance almost two years ago and have been a frequent visitor ever since. Most everyone here is a caregiver. One thing 99.99% of us share is the feeling of stress and burn out from caregiving. So, we come here to vent, to ask questions, and to share our experience with one another. Feel free to post your own questions whenever you want. Although many of us here are women, there are a number of men who take care of their wives, too.

It is good and important for your mental health that you find time for yourself, and to exercise is even better.
(1)

Recently because of caregiving and nobody to relieve me I have been doing some exercises with weights at home.Starting Monday I will return to my gym routine.This includes socializing as much as working out.Today my exercise will be taking my wife to get her nails done (both hands and feet).This involves getting her dressed and into a wheelchair.Then from the wheelchair into the car.Reverse all this when we arrive at the nail salon.Repeat all actions when returning home.
I am exhausted just thinking about it.I can't wait for next week when we will have do this all over again for visits to her doctor,dentist and hairdresser.I am now realizing what kept her busy when she was well.
(1)

JARLATHK - do you have any one helping you with the caretaking of your wife? If you don't, you're going to get burn out soon.

I saw in your profile that your wife is 76, I am guessing you're somewhere in that age range. Helping someone with mobility problem will require physical strength. From reading what many posters have said, after a few years of supporting and lifting their loved ones with mobility problem, their backs are shot to he!!. Don't let that happen to you. Good that you're working out and staying fit.

Since you're new to caregiving, do you know of some resources to get help for you and your wife? If not, post your question as a separate post under the Questions section, not Discussion section. More people will see and will respond to you.

A family friend whose mother also had mobility problem found a doctor who did house calls. Some hairdressers some will come to you, just have to pay a little extra for their time and gas. It would save you some trips if you could arrange for house calls.
(0)

This week, I'm going to be mindful of the calorie intake. So far, I had a good breakfast, a big lunch, so I'm going to try to keep my portion smaller for dinner.

Did my Zumba exercise this morning. Also did some stretching and hand weights. Hopped on the scale this morning, and it showed 0.2 lb. less. Woohoo!!!

Hope everyone is exercising...
(2)

Anyone still exercising?

I am. Try to do it at least once a day for 5-10 minutes.

I've been mindful about the amount of calories and carbs intake but weight hasn't changed. Maybe I gained muscles. Haha. I can tell my push ups are becoming a bit easier. My left shoulder joint hurts a less and I can rotate my left arm more. Still hurts when I raise it above my head to pull off Tshirts or sweaters, so more work is needed.

FIL's Bday is this weekend and we're taking him out to a restaurant of his choice. Hopefully it's not a buffet. Too much good food and so hard to resist... :D
(1)

Sorry, not too much exercising going on here other than walking - I just can't seem to give a d-----.
(3)

Just yard work, bike riding and my vibe machine.
Last few days didn't eat so well, lots of carbs. Stress maybe. Will do better this week, I hope.
Good job polarbear keep at it
Cw- walking counts
(2)

smeshque - I read in another thread that you had a funeral (your husband's estranged mother?) to attend to and that kept you busy. Is that what is giving you stress? I am sorry for his loss. Hope all will be back to normal for you.

How's the vibe machine? How does it help you?
(2)

cwillie - walking is good, too. Don't stop.
(1)

Send, JuliaRose, Snoopy?

We miss you...
(2)

And JARLATHK, too. Sorry. Didn't mean to leave you out.
(0)

PB- Thank you for your condolences. Yes I believe all the activity/stress surrounding DH loss of his Mom caused mt eating tooo much. The family eats always when they are together and we were together a lot this last week,and get offended if you don't so I did not want to offend anyone. So I ate. Plus being stressed didn't help, And I am sooooo full. It was food that my body is not use to and I feel so blah. I feel like fasting for a couple of days.

The vibe machine has been great. I often have back pains and such and I get on there for 10 minutes and it relaxes me and loosens up any tight spots in my back. I use it daily. A couple of times I felt so much stress and went and used it and it helped relieve some stress. It is a neat thing.

What happened to all our fellow exercise buddies?
(1)

I did not fast but ate way less today. Yay! feeling better already.
So I am going to add back into my days push ups. I know there are only 2 more days of this week, but It will be a headstart on next week. When I was going to go into the army before I got married I was in the best shape of my life. I could run miles, do a hundred pushups at once, and I did sit ups on an incline holding a 25 lb weight. I do not think I have that kind of energy anymore but I dream.......
I am really going to see what I can do. One of these days......:)
I think something happens when you hot 40 that makes you have to work harder at these things to get the same results. :(

Keep up the good work ya'll
(3)

smeshque- Impressive. You were in great shape, and still are.
(0)

Will return to walking very soon....in the next 3 days.

Thanks for missing me.

Keep going everyone, keep trying, even when your heart is not in it.
No one has to be perfect.
(4)

Just saw this post and dropped and did about 20 girl pushups -- yay! Still doing my walks but got out of doing the strength exercises I want to do due to a sinus infection which is hopefully clearing up. Also taxes, paperwork, bill paying, and weeds that were taking over yard, etc. etc. As we all know, there are always so many reasons NOT to exercise.

But I'm getting back on track NOW!
(2)

20 pushups. Yay! Go Snoopy go!
(2)

20 squat thrusts.
(3)

15 pushups! Inspired by PolarBear and NYDaughterinlaw.

Thanks, everyone, for keeping this discussion going. I hit a rough patch- definitely the depression part of grieving- after my hubby was in the hospital. Things are getting better slowly, and we are learning what the new normal is. Spring is here, so that makes it more enticing to go out and exercise... I hope!
(3)

It is good to see all of you back in the action. Keep it up everyone. Yay! team AC
I added push ups to my daily routine. I wasnt feeling well today, head cold and all, but forced myself to do push ups, vibe, biking.
(2)

I had to look up squat thrusts, I'm impressed. I used to do be able to do burpees but I haven't even tried in the last year and I never would have got close to 20 on my best day.
(2)

Hey buddies, I am so excited. The scale finally moved. I have noticed my clothes loser, but scaled never budged.
Bur, finally, FINALLY, it's down 3 lbs.
Oh I am so celebrating, with some cheesecake.
😀I kid.
But I am excited, to crack to code. And looking forward to more of it
Didn't know who else to tell. Thank you for being here.

Keep up the good work, buddies. It will pay off.
(2)

Woohoo! smeshque, way to go! Your hard work paid off.
(2)

Thanks PB- I was pretty excited.

Did my push ups added some crunches, vibe machine and cycling.
(1)

4 5 6 7 8
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter