Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
It is tough keeping to an exercise routine! The other day, I actually really enjoyed stretching before bed. But then yesterday was like a rat race and I didn’t finish until 2 AM. Too tired to do anything at that point. Today, I’m groggy, hungry, and a bit down. But I *should* do something just not to lose momentum and fall back into the habit of not moving. So many excuses not to be active, but anyway, that’s life...
(1)

OMG! 2am? That was very late. No wonder you felt groggy. Just exercise as much as you can, so you don't lose your streak. Maybe a few rounds of jumping jacks. Those help circulate blood all over your body.
(1)

Bright and shine. Well not exactly. Rain is coming. But I'm ready for my 5 to 10 minutes of exercise to get blood flowing and circulating...

Anyone joining me today?
(2)

I’m with you, PolarBear!

Thanks for your your encouragement yesterday. I did some stretching before bed. Today is feeling a bit better, so after grocery shopping, I plan to do one of those cheery Zumba 10 minute workouts.
(1)

How are we doing exercising buddies (and bodies;)? I am doing five days a week at the gym so I didn’t go yesterday, but I have to say, I was absolutely depleted in terms of energy, so I really couldn’t have gone even if I wanted to. It actually got me concerned because i normally don’t feel like that. I literally had trouble to get up and do my normal to-dos, when I don’t have the luxury to take a day off from my caregiving duties and normal house duties.
But yesterday I tell you, it was a physical and mental shutdown; today I forced myself to get out of it and also tried to eat more because I’m afraid I might be overdoing it, but I think I’m going back to normal. If there is something I can tell you is that I won’t quit! Actually exercising helps me a great deal, aside from the multiple obvious benefits, it makes me get out of the house and feel I have some time that is mine, just mine.
Actually on Friday after working out, I went to a nice coffee shop and had a delicious and relaxing jasmine tea that really did me well, just to seat outside and look at people on a nice sunny morning was a blessing, even if still sweaty and in my workout clothes; I might do it more often.

It is these little moments that we all need to make room for and look forward to, because those are the drops of sunshine in a life that sometimes tends to hide its light.
Hope we all keep going strong!!
(3)

Rosses, your little tea break sounds wonderful!

Today finally did some upper body work, 10 "girl" push-ups. Yay! Want to keep going, with some lower and upper body work every day.
(2)

JuliaRose - 10 minute Zumba workout sounds like something that would fit my schedule. I bet there are some Zumba videos on YouTube. I'll check. So far, I have saved some workout videos so I can watch later and not have to search for them. I got a couple of Fitness blender vids, a self defense for fitness vid, a stretching for dancer vid, even a chiropractor vid on how to massage your neck to get rid of knots and pain.

I just finished doing arm exercise to tone up and stop the developing underarm flaps that come with age.

Rosses - so glad you can go to the gym. Yes, it's time for yourself that is so so needed.

Snoopy - girl push-ups are just fine. That's what I do too.
(2)

I did 12 minutes of walking on the treadmill today! First time in a long time. This thread inspired me!
(5)

Barb, good for you!
(2)

I joined a healthy nutrition support group starting next week
(3)

Getting ready to do my morning exercise...

Lvnsm1826- that's great. Let us know how you like it.

Barb - so glad you started. Hope you continue. Even just a few minutes...
(2)

Did one squat and one push-up late last night before crawling into bed when I'd realized I'd forgotten to do it during the day. Have to keep the momentum going!

Did a set of squats and push-ups this morning. I think I might try to get a habit going of doing them early so I can't forget about it in all the hubbub of the day.
(5)

I wish i had the motivation all of you have. But im going to try my hardest. What would all of you suggest to someone who has let herself go taking care of both my parents. Now that i have a little time on my hands i think getting healthy is a great idea. I have started eating better, cutting out the soda and bread that i love so much. But i need the motivation to start an excersize program. Reading this post i want to start moving too. Good luck everyone. Im thinking better health and that will get me moving.
(2)

P.S. me again. I do have an excersize bike and the weather here is pretty nice so i think im going to start there. Bike in the morning and walk in the afternoon.
(2)

Hi Dcuman - so glad you can join. The more the merrier.

The hardest part for me is the part where I have to physically get up from sitting or laying down to start moving. But once I start, it's easier to keep going. This thread motivates me each day...
(1)

Anyone exercised today?

I got up late and didn't have time to do my 5-10 minute routine. Had to rush to get the kids to a class. Will try to do extra later.
(1)

I spent 3 hours each day this week, cutting, spliting, loading and stacking wood. I sure hope that counts as exercise. Was able to do some sit ups the last few days and do my 2 hour bike ride, and will ride tonight.
(2)

You people make me wonder why I bother at all - when this thread pops up it does inspire me to get out of my chair though. Today the only exercise I got was walking to and from the restaurant where I met friends for lunch.
(2)

Polarbear,

I did! I did my usual routine plus ran errands in house and out of the house all day. My feet hurt.
I ate a couple of things not in my “preferred list” lol as in things I should not have eaten, so I absolutely needed to exercise today.

Lets keep going! Even if it is just to take a walk outside, it brings incredible benefits, more than anything for our minds and hearts (the real one and the emotional one).
(3)

Dcuman,

At what time do your to-dos start in the morning? I’m asking because the time I have before my mom gets up is PRICELESS. I do home shores but after that, I seat in a rocking chair which I place in front of the door to get some cool breeze (I live in Central America, the weather is very hot) and I pray in silence to prepare myself spiritually and emotionally for the day ahead, and then I bring to my mom her first part of her breakfast and normally she is still sleeping, that is at around 8am, and then I go to the gym.

Im sharing this because that allows me to prepare myself mentally, spiritually and physically for the day, and by no means this assures that my days go wonderfully! No caregiver has such luck unfortunately, but it helps me to remain somewhat healthy to face what comes my way.

Please try to allocate some time for you, only you so you can feel somehow fulfilled, and it would be great if part of that time could go to exercising! It is worth it to get up an hour or two earlier to help yourself :) Keep coming back and sharing how you’re doing!
(4)

Smeshque,

WOW! I think what you have done beats all of us! Not even my punishment of the elliptical plus the bike, plus weights plus etc, etc., will ever compare! And on top of that, it is all outdoors, wonderful for you!
(2)

I just saw your initial post. I haven't read all the replies yet, but I am definitely interested. For myself, I know for this to be helpful to me, I'll need some kind of structure as far as accountability is concerned. And in order for me to feel connected to the group ... Know what I mean? So I'll be looking for that as I read through the replies. I'll probably be back in touch afterwards with some questions. Thanks for the idea!
(1)

Hi, I’ve been avoiding this thread because... you guessed it... I haven’t gotten myself up and moving the last few days. That last post about planning to do a short Zumba video? Yeah.... didn’t happen.

Today, I was so frustrated with a long-distance group project I’m part of that I went for a walk to blow off steam (yay! at least it got me moving). I ended up walking to the hospital resource center 10 minutes away and realized after I arrived that there was a caregiver support group meeting going on at that very moment! Talk about perfect timing!

Afterwards, I walked back home 10 minutes on gentle sloping streets. Today felt like a gift.
(2)

Welcome, Leonine!
Tell us what you did for exercise each day or whenever you’re able to fit it in, and know that you’re not alone in the struggle to become more active and healthier. If you have suggestions for a different structure, I’d be happy to hear your ideas!
(0)

"Sweat is Fat crying" :)

That little voice in your head that says,
I'm too tired
It's too late
It's too hard
I can't do it
I don't have time
I don't feel like it
Insert your own here <______________>

That voice is a liar.

Remember a body in motion tends to stay in motion.
(2)

Exercising now...with a Fitness Blender video on YouTube..

No equipment needed. That's a nice thing. Maybe I'll add a hand weight later.
(2)

Leonine1

How about each of us try to report back to the group at least once every other day whether we accomplish the exercise goals we set for ourselves?

If someone is absent too long, someone else can send a PM to follow up?

What suggestions do you all have?
(2)

Move more, eat less.
Keep walking. Even if it is around the house.
(2)

All right already, I'm getting up. Honest!
(6)

One hour.....are you up yet?
(3)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter