Follow

I thought I'd post an update with news about my Dad as encouragement to those who are struggling. Dad, 91 alcoholic, blind and fiercely independent has been in his assisted living facility for 8 months now. I was able to get Dad financial assistance from the Veteran's Administration - this is a resource not everyone knows about so please be aware it exists! This has greatly helped with covering costs, although he is chipping into his very limited savings to make up the difference. A huge worry is what happens when it's gone, obviously. COVID lockdowns really made it hard for Dad's adjustment - as for months at a time there were no social activities, and meals served in residents' rooms. This was probably a factor in alarming spells of total amnesia and confusion - three so far, each one clearing after a few days. I'd say he is "settled", drinks - but only two drinks a day as provided by his residence, as he has no access to liquor stores. He misses his apartment and many personal belongings, but is mostly accepting of the fact that he would no longer have been able to live on his own. It's a pleasure to chat with him now that he's always sober, and a relief not to worry about him lying dead on the floor as I used to! Sharing some relatively happy news as there's often so much sadness and frustration in this forum. Take care, caretakers and be well.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Wow an alcoholic like that made it to 91?? I'm surprised.
(0)

Wonderful! All good wishes to your Dad, you! Everyone!
(1)

Ah, there's a book out there called "when will there be good news".
Guess we just got some.
What a pleasure, and thanks so much for filling us in. We don't often get updated.
(1)

Aw! What a wonderful update. Although it will never be "perfect", progress forward is a win. Yay! And, thank you!
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter