Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3
CASABLANCA

Wizard of OZ
(0)

Danny devito and Billy's crystal were in throw mama

John candy was in a wonderful film with Maureen Ohara - Only the lonely
(0)

7 brides for 7 brothers
Oklahoma
Singin in the Rain
Meet me in St. Louis
Some like it hot - Marilyn Monroe, jack lemon and tony Curtis
my all time favorite ever filmed at the hotel del on Coronado island in San
(1)

Did not watch this movie-and don't anybody get any ideas:

I think John Candy was in "Throw Momma From the Train".

No offense intended, really.
(2)

My Fair Lady - Audrey Hepburn. Okay - done now - I mean it this time. So sorry!
(3)

OMG! How could I have forgot The Sound of Music!!! Okay - I'll stop now.
(0)

Meet me in St. Louis, An American in Paris, 42nd Street - all have a ton of music. Sheez- this is making me realize what a nerd I really am!
(2)

Gentleman Prefer Blonds has lots of music. My two all time favorite old movies are Roman Holiday but there no singing and a bittersweet ending. And, The Barefoot Contessa with fabulous Ava Gardner and Humphrey Bogart - but it does have a sad ending. I also am a huge fan of Imitation of Life with Lana Turner and Sanda Dee. Which reminds me to suggest any of the Tammy movies - always perky with lots of singing.
(2)

For the care facility crowd: I've never seen it - but wasn't Carousel big, back in the day? I've recently saw Daddy Long Legs again - love it - and I've always loved Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart - which leads me to Funny Face - which leads me to Breakfast at Tiffanys. How To Marry a Millionaire doesn't have music but it is shorter in length which might be good. And of course An Affair to Remember - if you don't mind the classic line "Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories". Sorry! All classics in my humble opinion.
(2)

Thanks, everyone. I already have a couple of these (South Pacific and White Christmas), but I will search for some of the others. I lean toward the musicals because my mom likes music and one of her fellow residents is a retired high school music teacher. And they can still enjoy the music even if they can't follow the plot.
(1)

Planes, Trains and Automobiles with John Candy and Steve Martin, hilarious. I watch it every time it comes on.
(3)

akdaughter, anything Rodgers & Hammerstein--especially South Pacific
(3)

Akdaughter, if you are looking for older more classic movies, I'd try:

Yours Mine and Ours with Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball. (quite funny and good story)

White Christmas

Auntie Mame

Around the World in 80 Days

Kiss Me Kate

Cheaper By The Dozen

Arsenic and Old Lace

Sabrina
(3)

May I add a qualifier to this question and get some input? I am looking for movies suitable for my mom and her fellow residents in a memory care unit. They have a "movie room" where they play DVDs and allow the residents to wander in and out as they wish. They mostly play episodes of old TV series like "Little House on the Prairie" and "Bonanza", but I am trying to add some variety. So far I have found a couple, but I am looking for suggestions for movies and musicals from the 40s and 50s that are not too complex and not frightening or suspenseful (I don't want to make things harder for the staff). There are some "collections" online, but they are mostly movies that I have never heard of, so I don't know anything about their content. I am going to look for "The Long Long Trailer", but does anyone have any other suggestions?
(1)

It should probably go on the CBB thread, but the one episode of Fawlty Towers that has the wonderful Joan Sanderson in it. If you laugh at the hearing aid scene you definitely are a caregiver behaving badly, though.
(5)

Not a movie, but a great TV series done in the 60's era Australia, called LOVE CHILD. Iwas able to see the 1sr season on an obscure cable channel, but the second season has never turned up. You can watch it on Utube though, and well worth a peak! It's about teenage girls, knocked up, and sent to a home for uwed Mother's. But the whole 60's thing was well done, if you like that sort of thing!
(1)

Early Tom Hanks, "Big" and "The Man With One Red Shoe"
Bill Murray in "The Man Who Knew Too Little"
(1)

Her whole life was bloody awful, Rainmom, poor kid - what chance did she ever have? The only good thing (good thing FOR her, that is) in it was Joe DiMaggio - no one else she ever encountered didn't want to take something from her. But she did get to be the most sexually captivating creation who has ever walked the earth - I have zero lesbian tendencies but I still think so - and I don't think dying so early was the worst thing that could have happened from her point of view. She was never going to make a happy old lady.

Sodding Arthur Miller. Fat help he was.
(2)

I was thinking about this some more and wanted to give The Birdcage another plug. The entire cast is outstanding- not a clinker in the bunch. And the whole dinner scene - if you don't laugh out loud at least once - well, then you've got no sense of humor.
(4)

Churchmouse- I thought about Some Like it Hot, but anything with Marilyn Monroe tends to make me melancholy. My co-dependent nature starts thinking about her tragic demise.
(2)

(Correction: Netflix is $7.99USD per month. I mooch off my friend's account with his permission so I wasn't sure... I'd pay that amount in a heartbeat but I'm added as his 2nd user {included in basic subscription} so I pay nothingggggggg lol)
(0)

"You're b-b-b-brain-damaged and you're worried about approval ratings?"

"Or Mommy and the kids won't get to say goodbye - [to Chase] want to tell the class how that feels?"

Kidnap, assault and battery, house-breaking, substance abuse, practising medicine under the influence of hallucinogenic drugs, outspoken opposition to informed consent...

Yeah, I love House too. I love Cuddy and Foreman more, mind.

And speaking of Jack Lemmon - has nobody mentioned 'Some Like It Hot' yet???
(1)

And those shows I mentioned - DH, House - they're not written as comedies, but they're very light wit even given the overall dramatic plot. They work, for me, as "light and comedic" watching.
(0)

Any Monty Python, any National Lampoon production. Recently I discovered the animated show Family Guy... which has moments of racial/sexist/other offensive humor, but surprisingly, I found it all quite funny. There are 300 episodes of Family Guy on Netflix. If you don't currently subscribe to Netflix, I recommend anyone signing up. It's $9 per month and I never run out of things to put on/watch while I work around the house, or relax at the end of the day. I've gone through all the Desperate Housewives episodes, working my way through 7 or so seasons of House, countless other shows that I missed when they first aired on their regular television broadcast. For the price, it's a good all-you-can-watch service.
(1)

Harold and Maude
Cabaret
The out of Towners with jack Lemmon

FARGO
(2)

Singin in the Rain
Donald O'Connor doing make em laugh
(1)

How could I forget "Clueless"?

The perfectly delivered: "You're a virgin ... who can't drive." My nomination for most devastating put-down of all time.
(2)

If you like stand-up comedy there is a comedian named Sebastian Maniscalco who is hilarious. You can see some of his full stand-up comedy routines on Youtube. You can download them to your computer and watch them on t.v. if you know how to do all that with a memory stick and so on. Very worth watching.

One of them is called "What's Wrong with People" Another is "Aren't you Embarrassed" Really funny.
(1)

And The Long Long Trailer ... saw it when I was a kid and just howled ...
(2)

LA Story, Life of Brian, Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, Legally Blonde, Spinal Tap ('What day did the Lord create Spinal Tap, and couldn't he have rested on that day too?'), Chicago, Blackadder, Mash (the TV series) ...
(1)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter