Follow

You are free from all care giving for one month. Pick you mouth? What would you do with thirty days?

It's early September. Leaves turning in the high country. A touch of new snow on the highest peaks. Tourists finally clearing out. Given my age(80) I have a family member give me a hand climbing into our canoe. Water pretty tame this time of year. Just beyond the canyon, we push off toward St Regis. Yes, in a canoe, in my beloved native state, I am on the river again. Something so free about being on the Clark Fork again; totally focussed on the currents, the sandbars, the twists and turns of the river mirror those of our own lives. The air, the wildlife, the slight chill, brilliant blue skies.

What is your fantasy?

Me and my youngest he was about ten, would four wheel in the woods, on a friends property, we would sit up let, listening to the coyotes, the moths and spiders all over, put up a small tent, get up stiff as heck, cook bacon and eggs on a fire. Take a long walk in the woods, I would love to go back there in time. Smell the trees , and everything else, and have one one one time with my son again
(2)

That's sounds beautiful mamacrow
(0)

Oh what I would do for just one month, week, day, hour, minute lol. But a month and I'm on a flight to Maui - Probably in February to see the whales! Sitting on the beach at Kam II in Kihei, remembering the good times with my late hubby Rick (he passed on March 18, 2023) We were married in Maui - it was our favorite place in the world - 30 days each year for the last 10yrs at least - years back we started with 10 days and that grew to 30 days - We were hoping to buy a home there someday. A Burger at Tiki Lounge with a nice cold Lava Flow or mai tai, then off to North shore to see the Honu (turtles) then back to the condo for a nap and then get ready to go to the Old Lahaina Lua (Our favorite -they're opening again soon) A day in da life in Maui. Sunsets in Maui and Moon rises are out of this world! In fact, when all this is said and done - I'm treating myself to 30 days maybe more just to recover my soul! I need to rest badly!
(1)

Anxiety,

My mom liked pants but she did enjoy seeing everyone dressed up. She was very stylish.

My grandmother never owned a pair of pants. She wore a dress every single day of her life! I can’t imagine doing that! LOL 😆
(1)

Oh yes needshelp, the styles where beautiful in the 40s too. I know my mom misses the days when women wore dresses all the time. Wouldn't even consider wearing pants outta the house.

And times where so much simpler.
But in some ways I feel some things are better.
(1)

Anxiety,

The clothes from the 40’s were great too. My mother and her sister were stunning when they were young!

Oh my gosh, those tiny waistlines of the women of that era! They could wear anything.

My dad was stationed here during WW11. He thought my mom was pretty. He saw her walking around town with her sister and followed her home! Nowadays, he would be considered a stalker! LOL 😆

Daddy told me that he asked mom for a glass of water and she gave it to him. I said, “Daddy, That was your pick up line? I like it!”
(1)

Fawnby,

That necklace sounds gorgeous! They had style back then.
(1)

NeedHelp,
Over the weekend I unpacked a beautiful necklace and earring set that my grandmother used to wear in the 1930s to parties in St. Louis, Chicago and NYC. Very flashy crystal and so faceted and shiny. I wore them to high school and college dances. I believe that my great grandparents may have given them to her. They went to Austria, Germany and Prague every year and came back with presents for everyone.
(2)

Fawnby,

Sparkles it is!

My grandmother had one of those cool old record players. As a young child, I would sit on the floor next to it and listen to her jazz albums.

Jazz was considered to be rebellious in her day. She told me all about the ‘flappers’ in the 20’s, how they bobbed their hair, shortened their hemlines and danced to the jazz music!

My grandfather’s family came to America from England. Grandma’s family came to America from Germany.

Grandpa was a more traditional and enjoyed classical music. He preferred Waltz dancing. Somehow, he fell in love with my grandmother who appreciated jazz!

My grandparents were polar opposites in some ways but agreed on everything that was important in life. They were married over 60 years! I absolutely adored my grandparents.
(2)

Oh, I would love to dress up like a 1920s flapper.

Love the clothes from that era
(3)

@NeedHelp,
You can go with me to the ballroom. Everyone welcome. MUST wear something that sparkles. I have extra if you need it! :-)
(1)

Hey Fawnby,

When you find that time machine, please hold the door open for me to enter it.

You can go back to your dancing days and I will go back to my cycling days before my bicycle accident!

Now, I have to ride an exercise bicycle because my orthopedic surgeon said if I break my arm again he can’t fix it.

It was a freak accident. I didn’t see a tree branch in the road and I went down hard on the street ending in an open compound fracture!

I set off the alarm at the airport whenever I travel in spite of telling them that I have metal rods on my bones! I get thoroughly searched when I travel.
(2)

A warm summer day, walking along the shores of York beach Maine, cool breeze, waves crashing, and the smell of the ocean. Pure heaven
(1)

Fawn,
Love it 😁
(2)

April, and I'd be dressed up in one of my beautiful outfits (which I never get to wear anymore). I used to dance ballroom style, so I'd be with a favorite partner in a lovely ballroom, a mirror ball twinkling overhead, and we'd dance, dance, dance! Waltz, tango, merengue, Texas two-step, salsa, lindy hop, rhumba, cumbia, and maybe even a line dance or two.

Those were the days.......
(2)

Mine would be a cabin in the mountains, on a warm spring morning, next to a stream, feeling the morning sun , with a cup of coffee, watching the hummingbirds
(3)

This game is making my day.

My fantasy:
Getting in my car and driving, driving, driving … no destination required.
(2)

I’m no longer a caregiver but I love to dream, so I will chime in if you don’t mind.

My fantasy would be the opposite of yours. I am a warm weather gal. I grew up in the south. So, no snow on mountain tops for me.

I do love water, so a sunny day at the beach 🏝️ sitting under a tree with a cool drink in my hand!

That’s not much to ask for, is it?
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter