Follow

May I start a topic on movies just to talk about something amusing?
Today I was feeling like Kathy Bates in Fried green tomatoes at the whistle stop café. I found myself quoting I am older and have more insurance!
Well nothing to do with cars or insurance but with the problems created by a much younger person I have to work with. I talked about her in some previous posts...
Well, she is trying to fool everybody... But I am 20 years older!

Coming back to movies... I loved that film!

What are your favorite movies? Are there particular scenes that have come back often to your mind? Or parts you would quote?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
CM,

I love Casablanca!
(0)

Top three are Casablanca, The Third Man, and Brief Encounter. Don't think that list has changed for decades!

But goodness, how do you decide what gets into the library? I'd have to have Clueless -

"... you're a virgin who can't drive." Was there ever a crueller judgement from one girl to another?

- Dirty Harry, Assault on Precinct 13*, High Society, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Ghost, The Thomas Crowne Affair (the real one, not the pointless remake), definitely Some Like It Hot, Reservoir Dogs (or Jackie Brown if we're only allowed one Tarantino), Star Wars (the proper one), Grease...

* especially for the line "can't argue with a confident man" which I quote pretty regularly to clients!

And Withnail & I. Which I can't in good conscience recommend, necessarily, because it may not travel well in time or place, but can't leave out. Lines include "throw yourself into the road, man! You haven't got a chance!" and "we've come on holiday by mistake."

And Life of Brian. Obviously. Nobody has any right to be offended by it because it mocks absolutely everyone human (and nothing divine).

Oh gosh, Little Big Man. You can't leave out Dustin Hoffman anyway, but another line I often think of at work is Faye Dunaway's "I shall a-vert my eyes." What a performance she gave, lovely lady.
(2)

Pam,

Yes, really good action adventure movies are fun!

There is one Blockbuster left!

My kids loved going to Blockbuster. RedBox is still around.

Remember Netflix early days? They sent out movies. Whew! Times have changed.
(1)

I love alot of the movies I watched with my daughter or when I managed a video store ( remember those?) I can watch "the Goonies" any time, and of course the Princess Bride. I also loved 13 Warrior,, Anything historic with action!
(1)

I also love Fried Green Tomatoes!

I like anything that is good. It doesn't matter if it's a drama, comedy, sci-fi or fantasy. I love classic films.

I think that I still have a crush on Robert Redford. My aunt took my cousin and I to see him in Barefoot in the Park when I was a kid and I think I went to see just about every movie he did when I was young. It's odd that I was attracted to him because I am drawn to dark hair. I married a handsome Italian man!

My favorite Disney movie as a kid was Alice in Wonderland. I must have read that book a dozen times as a kid! Also Mary Poppins. Read that book a bazillion times too. Love the movie. I adored Lion King with my children.

Love any Hitchcock movies!

I hate crappy remakes. A few are good. Hate bad sequels, although a few are good. Aliens 1 and 2 are good. Hated the third one.

Loved all of the Lord of the Rings. Loved Potter films.

Adored Harold and Maude.

Just about anything with Bette Davis.

I really liked the movie 'Her.'

Too many others to list!!!
(2)

I will try to watch the films you mentioned!
(0)

One of my favorite lines from a movie was from Whoopi Goldberg in Fatal Beauty. She got called into the boss' office for doing something wrong. When she came out, her partner asked her how she was doing. Her answer was " I've got more ass than they have teeth!"
(0)

Good topic: Movies. My favorite movies are the Classics from the 30's and 40's with Greta Garbo, etc. They have no swearing, great plots and interesting dialogues. For instance "Footlight Parade" and "Larceny, Incorporated".
(0)

My favorite is from The Big Chill...at the lu chronic after the funeral. “They throw you a great party on the one day they know you can’t come.”
(3)

Loved Fried Green Tomatoes! My mother and I watched the old movie Pillow Talk once and I’ve loved it ever since. I love the language of Moonstruck with Cher and Nicolas Cage, lots of Italian and good writing
(2)

I love that quote. And as I get older I love it more.. lol I also love almost any quote from the Princess Bride.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter