Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
My dad. Unconditional love, always. His mother, my grandma--same thing. If you have 2 people in your life who love you without condition you are BLESSED!!

My mother's mom. While not the traditional grandma--she was a hoot and we absolutely loved every moment spent with her. She was always up to do ANYTHING.....

A friend's sweet mom who kind of just took me into the bunch and loved me.

As an adult, I have been blessed with a fabulous neighbor who is an absolute saint to me.

A few (very few) dear friends. My older sister. My BFF from high school, who is a guy, so after I got married, it was weird, but he saved my bacon a lot and loved me more than I knew.

My #2 daughter who is always there with amazingly good advice. She guides me when I am uncertain about where to go.

In my opinion, it's the people who give and love without condition that make the most difference in your life. I hope I have been that kind of mom and grandma.
(4)

Oh this is easy. My dad. Hands down. Best person I have ever known. He was my Super Hero. Losing him was one of my biggest, maybe THE biggest heartbreak of my life. I have so many memories that I will always cherish. I'm thankful for those.

Also my son's grandmother on his dad's side, Nan. We are still close and I love spending time with her. She is kind and giving, and a joy to be around. Still doing well in her own home at 86.
(3)

My grandmother. I only had one grandparent and she was all I could need. She was a simple country woman, of great faith and perseverance. She was quiet and strong. Her life wasn’t an easy one but I never once heard a complaint. She taught me the meaning of contentment. She truly was content with exactly what she had and didn’t spend time wishing for more. She was happy to spend time with me and always made me feel loved
(6)

i knew an old man when i was a teen who became the biggest influence i can remember . he would sit and have coffee and smokes in the mornings at his kitchen table and threaten a backyard rooster with " dumplings " many times a day . the man was quite a cusser and just a blast to be around .

his wife would drink longnecked fallstaffs , smoke her pall malls and effortlessly be preparing an absolute feast for 50 or so extended family members who would arrive throughout the day .

i was raised to believe anyone outside of a church were miserable hellbound wretches . i was lied to . if im anything like that old man ( and woman ) now that im the ' old man ' ive a lot to thank them for .
(5)

My maternal grandmother. She was the kind of grandmother every kid loves - warm and loving, always a full candy dish and cookie jar, a patient teacher. When we became adults she never shied away from lively discussions about the topics of the day like politics or abortion or the pros and cons of marriage. Through it all she was a caregiver to my grandfather right up until his final days in hospital, her example was a big part of why I became a caregiver.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter