Follow

These are some of things I found helpful as a caregiver, please share yours. Every situation is different so some might not apply to your situation.

1) Be observant. My was having a very hard time getting out of bed using her walker. Her room has a somewhat deep pile carpet and the standard walker skids weren't working. I replaced them with skis, but that wasn't the problem. It was leverage. I ditched the walker in the morning and she transfers to the wheelchair more easily.

2) For muscle cramps, just chew on a Tums tablet (if you or your loved one can). It really works.

3) I found the Crosswave floor cleaner works like a charm. My mom dribbles on the carpet, so I will Crosswave it today and add a little Lysol to the cleaning solution.

4) For really smelly clothes, add a small handful of Borax to the washing machine.

5) Adapt and get creative. My mom was having difficulty pivoting into the car. My sister came up with the idea to put down a thin cutting board on the pavement, which helped immensely.

6) Take care of yourself. I try to spend a half hour or so outside.

Now here are some things I need to work on.

1) My loss of appetite. Maybe it's stress, I don't know.

2) My mom fusses with her Depends for at least 20 minutes and she won't let me help her. My dad had dementia, so he didn't care if we just pulled them up.

3) I need to get an OT to the house to show us how to do things like preventing falls, getting her in bed, etc... I gave her PCP a heads up to call them anything but a "therapist". We see her PCP Thursday and she has been pretty helpful.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to share. If I said anything wrong, please correct me.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Thank you for sharing. I will give this more thought ... lesson learned and what to work on.
(0)

Yankee,

My mom died at age 95 with end stage Parkinson’s disease this past April. She spent the last month of her life in a hospice house.

I cared for her for 15 years in my home. So, I can relate to much of your posting.

My mom had mobility issues. Parkinson’s disease is a progressive disease without a cure. I found home health to be very helpful. Mom’s doctor explained that occupational therapy and physical therapy work best together. Mom’s occupational therapist helped her struggle with getting in and out of bed. She even changed the location of her bed in her room to make it easier.

Mom had falls. Falls are frightening. Please have safety bars installed in your bathroom. Then place washcloths on each bar because these bars are slippery while wet. Having a washcloth handy to grip the bar with works beautifully.

I can certainly relate to not being able to eat. Some people eat when stressed. I am the opposite, I can’t eat. I completely lose my appetite too.

Love your list! Great posting. I hope many caregivers will share their thoughts and experiences.

Wishing you all the best.
(0)

Nice tips, Yankee! Thanks.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter