Follow

Being a caregiver forces us out of our comfort zones on so many levels. But good stuff often comes from that. For me...I had to learn how to install a new program box for our lawn sprinkling system...then figure out how to operate it. Guess what? I did it. And...IT WORKS!!! Guess you can teach a 73 year old grandma new tricks. Celebrate our achievements! 👏

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I love this. Learning new things (especially how to fix things) is so good for my mood. I use YouTube videos to fix all kinds of things. I’m thinking if you can install a new program box for your lawn sprinklers, I can finally tackle the outdoor lighting project at my new house. You’ve inspired me, thx!
(0)

I totally agree! IMO the best thing you can do for yourself and your family is to keep up with technology. Thirteen years ago my then 80-yr old mother didn't want to pay the price for a smart phone and data plan. She would have been very capable of learning how to use it. Now she's 93 and is cognitively very good, but there are often times I wish I could text rather than call her. She has a flip phone and uses a basic tablet to play games... but a smart phone would have really been a wonderful tool to connect her more to family and loved ones. I will keep updating my smart phone models, tv's and practice using the latest apps.

Two years ago my tech manager let me pilot his Tesla on the highway ("hands free" -- a weird experience for sure). He said I did "shockingly well" considering it was my first time. Think about being able to get into your own driverless vehicle when macular degeneration has compromised your vision (for one example) and being taken to visit your kids and grandkids in inclement weather or rush hour, and returned home safe and sound. This is in the near future and I'm hoping it is improved enough for when I'll be needing it.

With the abundance of video tutorials on YouTube, plus all the vast info on the interweb, there's nothing to prevent me from learning how to change my car's oil (etc.) if I really want to.
(0)

Ccongrats on the sprinkler system. Those things are not very user friendly to program, let alone install! It is really an achievement. For me I learned how to make pomanders using some of the lemons and oranges from my trees, plus cloves. They smell so good. You're so right about learning something new. It gives each day a little more joy.
(1)

Yes, learning is the best thing, I tried to assign me time.
I started gourmet cooking
Learning Spanish
Design and make bags.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter