Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Lea, "in all your free time" if you haven't seen the Ken Burns documentary on the Mayo, it is excellent.

https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-mayo-clinic
(2)

Geaton, I agree with you about the Mayo Magic.....this really is the most incredible campus with exceptional doctors/nurses/techs, etc. It's so streamlined & efficient, it's hard to put into words the level of care we've experienced here. So yes, everything has come together to create a great scenario for us, so far. Of course, anything can go wrong at ANY time, and that's what the blood draws are for; to see if there's signs of rejection or complications in the biliary ducts. If such a thing happens, then other surgeries/procedures/med changes/tests have to happen stat. It can get quite hairy when that happens, too, I've seen it firsthand. So fingers crossed that if/when the complications do come up, they're minimal and fixable.

Alva; thank you. Kaiser won't allow a transplant patient to come here w/o a family member as their primary CG either. Period. It's way too much to deal with, even for the family member, never mind a casual acquaintance or friend. Sheesh......they'd go running for the hills! Just today, his clinics started at 6:20 am and went back to back till 9:15 am, were in 2 different bldgs that had to be driven to, parked at, him left off at the front door, etc. It's a lot. And there were no med changes today; had there been some, I'd have been called back to pick up RXs and re do his new pill box which came today THANKFULLY. They're individual days of the week boxes that you can take out of the case, and are divided into 3 parts, AM, afternoon and PM. Heavenly. LOL.
(4)

Lea, I'd also like to think a tiny bit of Chuck's exceptional outcome so far is a little Mayo Magic (and a lot of YOU, of course)... just MHO. Keep on truckin'!
(2)

His new name is Superman Chuck! (((((Hugs))))), Lealonnie!
(2)

9am Wednesday

Just got back from clinic, lab draws and DH’s first doctor visit which went perfectly. Dr A is thrilled "speechless" by DH’s progress and said he looks like a patient who's been home a MONTH rather than a day! His scar is so clean and looks so healed that the doctor said he was tempted to take the staples out on the spot.  😂 

The old liver looks terrible BUT no additional tumors were found inside of it, or in the blood vessels, which is remarkable and a huge relief. Had more tumors been found, that would've meant a greater chance of the new liver acquiring cancer ALSO and very close monitoring a necessity for years to come. Another huge blessing to be very grateful for. 

Clinics happen 2x a week with an ultrasound on Friday. Blood draws are vital to see if medication changes are required which we'll be notified of before the 8pm dosing. So far so good. 

DH’s appetite is poor and his pants are already falling off of him. I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off, no appetite either, sweating bullets, and the scale hasn't BUDGED an ounce. Isn't this just typical though? He'll lose 20 lbs during this run and I'll be lucky to lose 6 ounces 😑
(12)

I am a nurse, Lea, and honestly just can't imagine this. I am so proud of you. I had a friend that was going to have lung transplant, and honestly could not do it because of no family. Friends tried to get up a schedule to be with her and handle meds and they basically said "Nope, not good enough. To complicated". And I surely can understand that now in terms of the medications alone.
(6)

Geaton, and the prednisone dose changes every week, some pills have to be cut in half w the pill cutter, the color and shape of each I had to write down, put each day and AM PM into a Dixie cup, which sent me to Amazon yet again for a pill box. I'm cross eyed and going to sleep early w a 5am wake up alarm. 😐😐
(4)

Holy moly I got the hives just reading about the discharge responsibilities! So very glad for you two on this day and praying for many more of constant improvement (((hugs)))
(4)

1pm Tuesday
May 3. 2022

Today is DISCHARGE DAY!

On a positive note, he had his Miralax Moment a while ago and it was a blessed event 🙏 

I am looking at a 30 page discharge packet which has 8 pages of 💊 meds and instructions including 15 days of Clinic appointments that begin at 6:10 am. 😳 If we miss ONE PILL ONCE, we have to notify Mayo immediately. Not too much pressure. Praying to God I can keep all of this straight in my addled mind and keep him properly medicated, fed, hydrated and get enough protein into him every day. I ordered shakes on Amazon and plan to hit Whole Foods later on. The tap water here is so bad the 🐕 won't eat her food that's soaked in it, so bottled water is on the list too. We're spoiled in Colo with such great tap water but no 🌴 so it's a trade  😉 

DH climbed the stairs today with the PT following close behind, what a strong guy he really is 👏 👌 💪 

We're planning to plop him in bed with his spirometer (I'm a spirometer Nazi, just ask him) a bottle of water and Honey next to him, for the rest of the day. Tomorrow he starts walking every hour when we return from the 3 clinic appointments.

Thank God for a successful Part One. Now onto a successful Part Two: The Recovery

Thanks for all the 💘 everyone. It means a lot
(18)

Sorry, I've been offline for a few days holding my mom's estate sale over the weekend. (Oy! 😳)

So happy to hear of your husband's successful transplant. I hope everything goes well with his release and continued recovery. Keep up with your own health, too, because you aren't allowed to keel over -- yet.
(3)

Happy "Leaving the Hospital" day, Lealonnie and Chuck!!
(3)

The lady who's been waiting 4 months for her new liver (3rd transplant) got "the call today" and is in recovery as I type! 😁 Her 16 y/o DD is and has been her CG each time. Sorting and doling out the daily meds alone is a huge task, as I'm sure Midkid will agree with.
(11)

Shaking my head in sheer amazement!
Thank you, God!
(3)

May 2, 202212 noon Monday

DH’s being called the Rockstar by the staff, no joke! His recovery is amazing and he's being released tomorrow. 
The nurse is giving us some intense education at 10 am tomorrow about what to do when we get back to the hotel, meds, clinic follow up visits, what not to eat, etc. I feel ready to tackle the care. 
DH’s eating soup and grilled 🧀 for lunch but only a few bites. Still hasn't had his Miralax Moment :( Stomach rumblings are threatening, but still nothing. 
His last drain cane out 30 minutes ago. 🙌
(13)

Lea so good to hear Chuck is doing well. Sending love to you all xxx
(4)

Lea - what an amazing story! I wondered where you were as you were not posting with your usual frequency! I'm so happy for you that Chuck is doing so well. I'm sure that all his walking are certainly contributing to his stellar recovery! Keeping my fingers crossed for more and more good news!!!
(3)

Lea,
I’ve been following the story and praying so much for you guys. So glad your DD can be there with you. Praying now for continued quick healing and peace in all of your hearts.
Take good care.
(2)

Lealonnie, the evidence of God's hand being with you and your husband is so strong and obvious to all of us who are watching from afar.
What a testimony you will have when it's all said and done. And as the saying goes, you can't have a testimony without a TEST, and so far you and Chuck have passed that test with flying colors.
Myself and many others on here will continue to pray for you both, and look forward to hearing more of how God is working in your lives during this difficult journey.
May God bless and keep you both.
(4)

As someone with people who have undergone this sort of thing, I would say dh is making an excellent recovery, being even ahead of where most people should be. It’s going to be time to take him home sooner than later, and I bet you can’t wait! Good luck, or even more than that. He will be home soon!
(3)

My DD is coming in on Weds evening to help me care for Chuck for a week. His sister has a bazillion Marriott reward points so she's getting her a free 1 bedroom suite at our hotel which I can use to sleep in at night (queen bed instead of the SOFA BED in our studio). I'm thankful to DD and my SIL. His drug regimen is huge, clinic is 3x a week, so there's a lot to do for him as CG.

My son bought Chuck a camera and long lens in Dec for photographing birds, to pass the time and to keep him occupied. They went birding in a local park together every day since, walking 3-5 miles a day. Sometimes Chucks son would join them also. His surgeon said that walking has made a huge difference with his recovery rate now! When I told my son he may have literally saved Chucks life, he said he's so happy he's going to upgrade his lens to a better one after he recovers!! Chuck will be ecstatic, he loves photography. Chokes me up big time to retell this story.

Chuck is nodding off in his bed here, 2 drains out, 02 out, catheter out, pain minimum, hanging onto his liver shaped pillow when he coughs. The staff all signs the pillow, same as they did with his heart pillow when he had triple bypass 18 months ago. I'm praying there will be no more organ shaped pillows to add to his collection, and this is it.
(17)

Cheering you guys on from here!

And, good for you for putting your foot down about the possibly too-early discharge! Your Aging Care buddies are so proud! 😂
(5)

May 1, 2022

11:00 am Sunday
DH is in his room on the transplant floor as of last night, doing well... better than expected. The doctor told him he may be released tomorrow and I'm like WOAH NELLIE 😳 I don't think so! So Tuesday at the earliest he'll be released, barring complications. 
His scar is huge but clean as a whistle. The staples come out at day 21. Along with the triple bypass scar, he's now got a peace sign on his chest 😆 
He's very tired and nodding off a lot. 2 out of 3 drains are coming out today too!
His spirits are good partly because he's been put on a regular food diet YESSSSS so now he's ordered that sandwich he asked for when he was extubated.
(8)

This is simply amazing. Great that it is going so well!
(3)

Such encouraging news. So happy you have all been so deservedly blessed.
(3)

Awesome news!
(2)

So thankful for your husband's promising recovery Lealonnie! Cheers!
(3)

Lealonni your husband is doing amazing! He's a recovery rock star!
(6)

6:30 pm Saturday
The big guy is OUT OF ICU and in a room on the transplant floor now! The central line is out of his neck now too, thankfully. 
Everyone is impressed that he's gone from 3 IVs down to one in under 18 hours. What a beast 💪 
And sugar free jello sucks in all flavors. But lukewarm broth tastes like heaven on earth. 
That's all. 
It's been a glorious day!
(14)

Walk, Chuck, Walk!!

So happy things are going well, Lea.
(3)

In my hospital, even two decades ago, 1-2 patients was max in ICU; transplant units one patient only. California has had great staffing laws since Schwartzenegger was Gov; this libby-liberal thanks him for that! So good to hear this news. Many on thinking on and praying on you both!
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter