Follow

Mom woke me at 1am. She couldn't start the microwave. I got up and she had it set for 33 minutes and had an unopened soda can in there....yay!
So, I made her a hot chocolate and ordered oven locks.

Then she wanted to go outside (12 degrees and snow) to smoke a cigarette. She had stopped smoking over 20 years ago. I told her she didn't have any cigarettes and she was adamant that she did.
I went back to bed while she tore up her bedroom looking for smokes.
Brain damage can be so much fun at times.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
It all depends how your house is set up, but I was able to put a baby gate in the entrance to my dinng room kitchen area. We closed it at night, and mom couldn't get to the kitchen or back door. We also left a nightlight on in the bathroom, but kept the rest of the house dark, which also deterred her. And if she managed to turn on a light it usually woke me up. Of course it helped that we have a pretty small house, and our spare room was across the hall from me.
With small grandkids we had childlocks on all the cabinets with the cleaners in them already, and I placed my laundry stuff on a high shelf that she couldn't reach.
There are motion alarms you can hang on doors, so if they are opened it will wake you up. My mom used those on me when I was young bc I sleepwalking.

This is hard. The constant vigilance, especially being woken up multiple times at night,, is one if the things that led to my mom being placed in Memory Care.
(2)

Cashew,
My mother used to raid the fridge and kitchen cabinets and ate anything she could get her hands on. She ate sugar, flour, raw pasta, cat food, etc. and she drank a whole carton of OJ. I had to put locks on every door in the kitchen. I also installed special locks on the front and back door so she could not open and go out. Before those locks, a couple of time she opened the doors and triggered the security alarm at 1 am and 3 am and woke up the whole house. Boy, was it fun! For my mom, this phase lasted about a year.

I hope your mom will move past this phase soon.
(3)

Cashew: Very dangerous if she could venture outside in such frigid weather. Not to mention that microwave could have been a serious problem.
(1)

Cashew, my grandmother thought she was peeing in the grass behind the tree.

It was a brown recliner in our living room with variegated green shag carpet.

If you tried to stop her she would shoosh you, because someone would see her.

It wasn't fun at the time but, I laugh now when I think of how adamant she was. I kinda understand her confusion with the colors.

I am glad your mom couldn't start the microwave, that would have been a real fireworks show.
(2)

Safety locks and those childproof catches for cabinets, safety plugs for sockets, leaving toaster and coffee maker and microwave unplugged when you are not using them are options.
Getting an extra lock on doors leading to the outside is a good idea.
Also, some sort of motion activated alarm near the kitchen or the exit door, so that she passes it and it goes off...you will hear it!
Call your local senior center, area on aging, or the Alzheimer's association for information on making a home safer. Every family has a different risk tolerance.
Having 2 or more falls in 6 months is the time to consider a higher level of care, I think. Certainly 3 in 6 months. Good luck.
(2)

Here's the thing about dangerous dementia behaviors: what if she'd gotten outside to 'smoke her cigarette' in 12 degree snow, wearing only a nightgown, and you didn't realize it? Or if she'd pressed the start button on the microwave with a soda can in there? Or decided to mix together bleach & ammonia to clean the mess she made in the bathroom? What may seem cute or amusing at first can suddenly turn into your mother killing herself accidentally, God forbid. I've seen it firsthand when I was caring for a gentleman who had Alzheimer's. The family insisted he was 'better off' staying in his own home, etc. He did get out of the house one night while his wife was sleeping and was found in the street, several hours later, by a neighbor. He died the next day in the hospital of a subdural hematoma. This is not said as a scare tactic; just as a precaution.

THIS is why suggestions for placement should be considered; as a safety measure rather than a 'punishment' or a statement of a 'failure' on your part or any other such thing. Dementia is such a terrible thing, it really is. You have my sympathy for what it's doing to your dear mom.
(7)

Cashew, I understand.

Experience has taught me that being ready for the completely unexpected is never a bad idea.

That applies to childbirth, marriage, parenting, eldercare and life. "I'll never..." used to be in my vocabulary. No longer.

I wish you only good things.
(9)

BarbBrooklyn
we are in disagreement but I appreciate your concern
(2)

Cashew, it IS time to "start" looking for placement.

Even if it's six months down the road, it's good to be prepared.
(2)

Vegaslady,
thanks.
I mentioned Mom's actions to a "normie" who doesn't understand caregiving and the dangers in the behaviors of dementia sufferers.
She just thought I was "sweet" for making Mom some hot chocolate.... hmmm...K
(1)

Geaton777
I have a lady come in twice a week. But, no one in my area handles overnight.
It isn't time for placement, yet.
(0)

I'm so sorry... do you have any options for relief or residential placement that you can consider?
(2)

Oh dear. Just, oh dear.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter