Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
My ex-SIL called me up one day when she was pregnant, and wanted to know if it was safe for her to take a bath with Vick’s vapo rub dissolved in to the water. She had the flu or something, she was sick.....I thought she was crazy but my husband said Vick’s baths are a Hispanic thing lol. Guess his mom gave them Vick’s baths when they were sick.

on the flip side, she thought I was crazy when I gave her a container of corn starch to have on hand Incase the baby got a diaper rash and the traditional creams didn’t work or she didn’t have any rash cream.
(2)

Okay, I have to know. Did anyone’s grandma tell them that they couldn’t go swimming or wash their hair while they were on their cycle? Mine did! She told me that when I was a teenager.

My friend invited me to go to go swimming and grandma told me not to go because I was on my cycle. I asked my mom an she said it was an ‘old wives tale.’

Mom told me not to ever mention using a tampon to grandma or she would freak out!

Barb,

My parent’s time cola syrup was supposed to be really good for an upset stomach. When I took my daughter to the pediatrician they changed it saying no to anything with sugar, no coke, 7up, etc. My MIL said they were wrong and coke was good! Hahaha
(4)

I've heard of putting a clove of garlic in your socks CM (crushed of course), I think I'd try that method before trying yours!
(4)

Coke syrup is really good for an upset stomach.
(4)

Garlic up the bottom.

😳

I haven't personally tried it, but I have heard it recommended and sworn by as a sure and certain way to stop a cold in its tracks. One clove, and shove it, so to speak.

I'll try it if you will...
(6)

Lol, it is funny Midkid.
I am going to guess that the science behind it is that one's electrolytes get low, and sugar too if we don't eat right or miss a meal.
This can be an urgent matter in many cases, such as diabetes. Or, if one is on medications that can alter electrolytes, glucose, thyroid hormones, etc.

The salt in chips, the glucose in soda, the liquid for dehydration, even the carbonation may fit in there somewhere.

I do think that foods can heal, but that would not be to the exclusion of other fixes.
I have had to drink a little coffee on rare occasions to help me sleep.....ha ha ha,
go figure. Do not have a clue for the science behind that.

This is not to discount one bit your statement as true: "There must be some nutjob doc out there". Lol.
(3)

My dad has end stage heart failure, we’ve thought he was at the end several times in the last year and each time he’s survived. An amazing number of the really bad days he’s combatted feeling quite miserable with his own fix of diet Mountain Dew and Cheetos. Go figure!
(7)

I remember one summer as a teen, I started feeling lightheaded at work. I panicked and called my pediatrician who told me to get a bag of chips from the vending machine. It worked!
(6)

You have to roll your eyes at almost everything that comes out of Hollywood, particularly prolific with the weird "health" tips are the Kardashians and Gwyneth Paltrow. The fact that people actually follow this stuff is bizarre to me.
(3)

I have been told by my endocrinologist that if my sodium and/or blood sugar are low and I feel dizzy to have a small glass of soda (not diet) and to eat a couple of pretzels. I’ve done it a couple of times when I didn’t have a glucose tablet and it worked very quickly. I keep a couple of cans of regular soda and a bag of pretzels in the freezer.
(5)

I'm going to assume that this lady's sodium runs a little low and that she gets "lightheaded".
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter