Follow

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/17/health/napping-dangers-dementia-study-wellness/index.html

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Sigh...Critical reading is a lost skill in this country.

Nothing in this article says napping leads to Alzheimer's. It says that EXCESSIVE napping can be an indication of it and might indicate a need to be evaluated. In simple terms, the study said that too much napping might be an early SIGN, not CAUSE of cognitive impairment.

Those who don't know the difference between news reporting (what this article is) and news analysis (the vast majority of what the on-air talking-head shows are on CNN and Fox) do themselves a disservice by dismissing a news source simply because they don't agree with the political leanings of the source.
(3)

lealonnie - lol. That was my gut reaction, too, but I decided to give it a chance. Yup, it lives up to CNN's reputation.
(1)

Sorry, when I saw an article from "CNN" I immediately clicked OUT of there.
(1)

I dunno about absolutes when it comes to dementia. From what I've learned so far, is that dementia affects everyone differently. So, how can that be factored in research? Other than the cognitive decline, memory loss, and a few other very, very broad generalizations. Like napping. My husband always napped, he had an extremely demmanding job and would nap. Now he has been diagnosed with dementia, can not work or drive. He naps, quite a bit more than before. Which I am ok with. It's his body, his world and what he wants to do. Some days are better than others. I'd sooner have that, than to impose some sort of routine that he must adhere to, because people with out dementia don't nap, don't have memory issues, then he should be able to get back to normal and not change. Here's a hint-dementia does not care and does as it wants, when it wants and where it wants in the brain.
Why, yes, he just went to take a nap.
Thanks GardenArtist for such a well written, cohesive reply. I've worked in research and appreciate your post!
(2)

My entire belief in and approach to determining whether or not a study was worth reliance changed after taking statistics classes. There are so many variables that aren't distinguished in studies, and sometimes in my mind make them worthless.

I skimmed the cited article, and with absolutely no offense to WearyNow, I didn't think it was particularly unique, or frightening enough for me to consider napping when I feel like it. On the contrary, I think napping is the body's method of resting when it's needed, or especially after working hard or outside. I used to feel the need for a nap after mowing the lawn or gardening!

First, there apparently were absolutely no other dementia contributors factored in. From articles I've read, sugar consumption if more than "average" (whatever that is) could be a factor. It's well known that sugar and excess sugar consumption is not helpful to health, for various reasons.

Second, the sample tested is small. How many people between 74 and 88 exist? What percentage is 1400 of that total number of people in that age group? 1% 5% 10% more???? Who knows?

"The new study used data gathered over 14 years by the Rush Memory and Aging Project, which followed over 1,400 people between the ages of 74 and 88 (with an average age of 81)."

Third, apparently no other health factors were considered in the study. What was each person's health status before, during and after the study? Did the people exercise on a regular basis? Interact with others? Eat a Mediterranean diet or an American diet?

Live in a large, populated area, or a remote area? Live in a country which supports family interaction through generations or one more like America in which generations sometimes separate and move through different lifestyles?

Fourth, what support did they have - family, friends? Were they interacting with others, whether still working, part time jobs, volunteer jobs (that to me would be an important issue).

Fifth, the study duration is small, very small: 14 out of 365 days annually.

"The new study used data gathered over 14 years by the Rush Memory and Aging Project, which followed over 1,400 people between the ages of 74 and 88 (with an average age of 81).

"For 14 days each year, participants in the current study wore a tracker that captured data on their movements; No movement for an extended period between the hours of 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. was interpreted as a nap."

What season was this? People get more tired during especially extreme weather. And weather has changed over the last several years. Summers are hotter, people have less energy, and that can also occur when it's frigid outside and some people cuddle up in warm blankets instead of moving around a lot.

From what area of the country was the sample? If I lived in Florida or Texas, I know I wouldn't be moving around as much as I do in Michigan.

Conclusion (skipping a lot of factors):

"I don't think we have enough evidence to draw conclusions about a causal relationship, that it's the napping itself that caused cognitive aging, but excessive daytime napping might be a signal of accelerated aging or cognitive aging process," she said."

At least the conclusion is qualified, as it should be. This could be the start of several studies, and I don't blame the researchers; CNN phrased the study, qualifying it, yet not as much as the actual study did. However, that's the nature of news, I think, is to qualify, infer and inject conclusions.

WearyNow, thanks for sharing this. While it's not conclusive and as PolarBear pointed out, "suggested" rather than provided more definite observations, it does raise the issue of dementia, and can be a reminder that there's still a lot of research to be done on dementia.
(6)

No, no, no. Napping too much does not lead to dementia. What the study suggested was that napping too much was a sign of possible/impending dementia. And the study was done on people between the ages of 74 and 88. For one, my mom rarely took naps, but still developed Alzheimer's.

Sleep deprivation can be very bad for your physical and mental health. So, nap all you want if/when you need.
(5)

I don’t quite understand, from this article, if they are saying that the association between napping and dementia is through a causation, or rather through a correlation. ??

C.
Settling in for my daily afternoon 😴!
(2)

thanks for the warning, that napping too much during the day might lead to dementia.

hugs to you wearynow!

none of this is easy…
helping our LOs AND having a life.

wishing everyone a great weekend!! :)

bundle of joy :)
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter