Follow

Five days since husband came home from rehab. Concerned about not having bowl movement in a while, try to find low fat, low salt foods to make meals when he is allergic or won't eat many foods. Needs me to do something or make meals all the time, I can't get much done each day, etc. And we haven't even started on me driving i by to rehab and doctor appointments yet.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Barbara, Has your husband's doctor given him any advice on the constipation issue? Miralax (if the doctor says it's okay) can help with constipation. So can eating several prunes per day (although if your husband is having difficulty using a toothbrush and dental floss you might not want to give him any dried fruit, because it will stick to the teeth).
(1)

my mom drinks prune juice for the easy to digest fiber, keeps her regular.
(4)

Rehab gave him prescription stool softener. He had a stroke. I wonder if adding prune juice would be good?
(0)

If you can solve his constipation through nutrition, that is preferable. Do you have a blender? You can make green shakes using kale, broccoli, and other leafy greens and sweeten with a few prunes, an apple, or pear. Because you are blending it rather than juicing it, the smoothie will be high in fiber.

His confirmed allergies aside, if his fussy eating habits are driving you up the wall, be honest with him that you love him very much, his nutrition is important for his rehabilitation, you're doing your best to prepare nutritious meals, and you would appreciate it if he stopped complaining. Channel Sally Struthers and remind him that children are starving in Africa.
(1)

Be careful with the prune juice and the green veggies if he is on warfarin as a blood thinner they can enhance the effect unless you use the same amount everyday. the newer blood thinners do not have food restricts. They are more convenient and they say better but many many times more expensive than Warfarin (coumadin) however they have the convenience of not needing frequent blood tests.
Talk to hubby's Dr or call nurse hot line or even ask your pharmacist. If he is really full it may take an enema to get him going. if you can't face that ask the Dr to request a Home Health Care nurse to come in and do what's necessary.
(3)

I have irritable bowel syndrome and I've been taking Heather's Tummy Fiber for constipation for years. It was recommended by my dietitian. It's high-quality acacia senegal (soluble fiber). I tolerate it a lot better than traditional fiber or laxatives. Would it be good for elders, too?
(0)

Is he on any prescriptions for pain? My husband refused to take prescribed narcotics because they were TERRIBLY constipating to him. He said that the constipation was worse than the pain (stage 4 cancer) He took Advil instead of narcotics.
(0)

No. No pain pills. He is on new blood thinner. Not Coumadin.
So I should tell him to eat vegetables he doesn't like cause they are good for him?
(0)

Stroke is an illness found to be associated with nutrition. (Diabetes and heart disease are two other big ones.) If you want to give your husband the best chance at rehab, then make him eat his veggies. More importantly for your health, give yourself the best chance of getting through caregiving alive.

Adding vegetables is never a bad thing. If you buy a spiralizer, you can make things like zucchini "pasta", and add a quick peanut sauce for an imitation Pad Thai. Zucchini is low in Vitamin K.

Big pasta brands are adding vegetables to their pasta products. Great option for good carbs.

Do you like chocolate cake? I puree beets and add them into chocolate cake batter. If yours is a good hubby who eats all his zucchini pasta, give him chocolate cake. He'll change his tune!

Variety is the spice of life. Each week, can you try one new vegetable and one new carbohydrate that is whole grain? And use your weekly circular to your advantage to plan some meals for the week. Cook with leftovers in mind for lunch.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter