Follow

My MIL passed away two weeks ago after a short stint in a nursing home under the care of hospice. She lived a long (94), healthy life and lived independently until the last year. She was miserable to her three sons and their wives. Her daughter seemed to be relatively close, but there seems that there was a falling out the past few years. This is not a close knit family by any stretch. Sister made all the necessary arrangements for cremation and now they will have a short, small service at the graveside. She will be buried with my FIL. Now we find out we will be responsible for half of the cost. Brother #3 has little extra cash on hand but went above and beyond by having her live with him for six months (at which time she would verbally abuse my SiL) and sister never steps up for anything. MiL was on Medicaid the last year and claimed bankruptcy (2nd time) just prior to her application.

I know my husband has to step up and see this through as his 2nd brother has been floating his mom for years......purchasing her a car, etc. He payed for his dad's funeral twenty years ago. He has no children and lives very comfortably. It would not be fair to expect him to burden the full cost of this as well. That being said, I am resentful that no planning was done on her part at all. Frivolous spending was her only concern.....and taking what she could from her sons. Although we can afford to do this, it will come at a cost. I am retired and my husband is 72 and still works.....we are trying to "bank" as much as we can so we might be able to enjoy some time together before we are too old to do so. I just think the lack of responsibility to take care of ones own needs when capable is selfish......but then again she knew someone would step up and do what is necessary. I know it's not really my place to say anything but up to my husband to do what he needs to do. I'm just really frustrated at this point. And angry. Defiantly angry.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Joann, if your daughter had the money would she pay for the cremation? I’m hoping she doesn’t feel obligated to do so! Let him stay at the mortuary, he gave up his rights and chose not to be her dad. She owes him nothing.

I did push back a little on the cremation but that’s because at the time, I was highly annoyed with my BIL for sitting in his azz and not taking care of anything. I told my husband that he shouldn’t have had to pay anything and that they could wait while BIL probated the will and got access to the bank account. The estate was valued at less than $2500 so he would have gotten access to the bank account pretty fast. My husband felt obligated to pay because it was his dad! If this had been my MIL who raised him, I wouldn’t have questioned it at all. It would have been a non-issue, I wouldn’t have pushed back on anything. The only part of the funeral trip I pushed back on was the RV. We wouldn’t have saved that much money by going in the RV with everyone else because we still would have had to stay in a hotel and get a rental car. And we would have had to help cover my BILs share since he didn’t want to pay his own way as usual. We made a vacation out of it despite the circumstances so it was worth it to go. I just resent having to pay $500 toward the cremation.
(0)

I would have done nothing for this man. Maybe pitched in for the cost of the cremation but traveling 1700 miles to bury him, nope.

My daughter is from my first marriage adopted by my now DH. Her father gave up his parental rights so my DH could adopt her. From that day forward he had nothing to do with her. He died at 69 from heart failure. He lived as a hermit and looked like one. The coroner thought he was homeless. He was cremated but still sitting on a shelf at the funeral home. His sister was able to get access to his bank accounts and left with the money. Daughter can't afford to pay for the cremation and shouldn't. He lived the way he wanted to and had no right to ask her for help.
(1)

I think that generation didn't look ahead because they didn't feel that they would live that long. I am surprised they had no life insurance. Even if it just paid for the funeral.

I think all the children, but the brother who paid for Dads funeral, should share in the cost. A cremation and graveside service couldn't have mounted to as much as a casket funeral. Cremation here is $2300. Cost to open grave is high. If minister present, a donation. Maybe it can be done by scale. Everyone putting in what they can afford.

I have a SIL that "assumes" when it comes to money and helping Mom. She felt that we should all (3 of us) send Mom money each month after Dad died. I told her lets see if she can make it on what she gets. Which she did. But at Christmas when I suggested to SIL that money would be nice so Mom could shop for what she needed, she preferred to send tops that Mom would never have worn and didn't. They were in a drawer when I cleaned out never washed or worn. Birthdays and Mother Days were sketchy. A lot of the time Mom received nothing. No card, no gift, no money. My Dad said to me once that he didn't care about himself (he never received anything either) but Mom deserved a lot more from her boys. I was the only one who thought about them. So it got me when she said we all should send something to Mom monthly. By the way, I am the oldest and retired for the last 8 yrs, DH 10. My SIL is 11 yrs younger than me my brother 7. They both work.
(0)

Abby, I sympathize with you. You have every right to be upset over this so vent away! I can so relate to this as we went through something similar when my FIL passed away a few months ago. We had to pay for part of his cremation AND travel 1700 miles to his home state because my BIL & SIL wanted him buried there. I was ok with the trip despite the fact it cost Thousands for a family of 4 to travel that far since our kids would get to meet my FILs side of the family for the first time. But I was very unhappy when I found out we had to help pay for the cremation My BIL was POA and should have, in my opinion, should have made sure FIL took care of hus final arrangemwnrs when FIL went on hopsice. We were told he wasn’t gonna live but a few months. We had already been through this with MIL a year earlier & she took care of her final arrangements when she went on hospice so I don’t understand why the same wasn’t done with my FIL. My BIL didn’t try to do anything before FIL died, he did not even get access to his bank account or have his name added to it. He did nothing. I was also annoyed with my husband because 3 weeks before FIL died, I had a gut feeling we were going to get stuck paying for the funeral so I asked my husband if anyone had talked to his dad about final arrangements and he said “I guess that’s up to my brother to take care of”. And that was that. 3 weeks later FIL died and yep. I was right. With no access to his bank account and no prepaid funeral, we had to split the cost, we all had to pay for the cremation. I am still resentful. I can’t say my FIL did a lot of frivolous spending but he wasn’t around much when his kids were growing up, he didn’t pay child support to my MIL. He wasn’t an active part of their adult lives either, we all saw him once every few years. Never sent his grandkids as much as a birthday card....my oldest is 11 and received 1 Christmas present from him. And then when he got sick with cancer, he decided to move to California to be closer to the kids he chose not to help raise......can’t say I blame him but....I still think it’s kind of BS to come out here when HE NEEDED THEM but he wasn’t there when THEY NEEDED HIM. And they then get stuck paying for his final expenses. SMDH. He also did nothing to plan for retirement. He “retired” before 65 with only a $1300 social security check and a $600 truck payment......he could have prepaid for his cremation, he had the money but he didn’t.....and then my BIL goes and buys a fancy urn, the type you keep on display even though FIL was going to be interned in a cemetery.....and he asks us to pitch in $60 toward it. And he played the broke card because he didn’t want to pitch in toward the cost of gas for the RV my SIL borrowed from a relative so we could road trip out there....she ended up letting him go in the RV with her and not help pay for the gas. Which is par for the course, he always has money to blow but never wants to help pitch in for anything so he gets a free ride. We ended up flying because I wasn’t down with paying for his share of the gas and being stuck with them in a RV for 2 days.
so yeah I am still resentful over the whole thing.
(1)

It is shameful that people do not plan for this and just ignore it like it is not going to happen.   After the fact, there really isn't anything that can be done. The brother she was living with should have gotten you all together and forced her into setting aside money when she was living there.
(1)

I would be upset too, some people just float through life on someone else's dime, my husbands parents were the same. Vent away!
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter