Follow

Hello everyone, I just joined this group prompted by my 35-year-old daughter. I am so thankful for her! She found this site and sent it to me. My mother fits many of the various scenarios posted in this forum. I find myself asking why is my mom so negative, so grumpy, so cold? I talk to her on the phone every day and help her as needed. I have a brother in the area who does not help at all and Mom focuses on that rather than being thankful I am at her beck and call. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone posting. There is some peace in knowing one is not alone.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Karrie - unfortunately, there is usually a problem with telling someone with dementia to straighten up - they don't think there is anything wrong with them. I expect you'll discover this as things progress with your mother.

When I was little and my mom was struggling with her own mother, mom said to me "if I ever get like that - tell me". So when the time came to tell my mom she was being just as stubborn and unreasonable as grandma had been - mom said "no im not! Besides, I never said that". (Big sigh).

Anyhoo - welcome! I found this site to be a sanity saver. I hope you find it as helpful to you - although I also hope you won't need to!
(1)

cdnreader...........thank you! I told my daughter when I am elderly if I am being ugly I expect her to tell me to straighten up :)
(2)

Dear Karrie,

Welcome! Glad your daughter recommended this site. My dad passed away 6 months ago and I badly wished I had found this site after his stroke. The support and understanding has been very helpful to me. As you said, its so nice to know that we are not alone in our struggles.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter