Follow

I have been reading but have been too busy to respond until today.

Update: I went to Las Vegas from California to visit my uncle for 2 weeks (the wicked witch, my uncle's 2nd wife who had married him in his backyard and not telling any of our family.....sneaky b*tch, had died a month before) She knew he had a dx of dementia because I had taken my uncle to the neurologist and had told her in her face.

So her scandalous grown son was still at my uncle's house with him after his mom had died. As soon as I got to my uncle's house I told him to get out as did my uncle. Due to some of the things I told him our family knew about and would press charges against him he made the smart decision to leave.

I knew by the 1st day I was going to end up staying much longer than 2 weeks. So I called some of my family told then my concerns. I told them I could stay as long as my uncle needed me due to I'm retired.

Come to find out the second wife and her two grown sons were stealing money from my uncle.....no surprise there as they were isolating my uncle from his family.

My cousin and I were granted guardianship of our uncle. I stayed two years with my uncle until he died last November.

My cousin and I paid a lot of money to the attorneys due to the son's wanting to fight us over my uncle's estate. Our attorney found so much fraud that they decided to walk away.

Sad how some people can take advantage of the elderly who have money.

The judge praised my cousin and I for stepping in and taking care of our uncle, which we were honored to do so as he had taken care of our aunt for over sixty years. He treated her as his queen everyday until she died.

I miss them both so much but will always cherish the memories I have of them both.

Being a caregiver is hard work and I hope to never have to do it again.

Nicole

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Glad you were able to take action to help uncle retain some of his funds, and his dignity, and improved his life.
(0)

The wicked witch talked my uncle into changing his will (making her executor and beneficery) after they were married (this was her plan all along) yet my uncle had been dx'd with dementia a year earlier.

So her oldest son who lived in another state was named 2nd executor/beneficiary of the estate if his mom died before my uncle. He would get everything that my aunt and uncle worked for all their lives. The younger son was living there with his mom and my uncle (in my uncles house)

My cousin and I had to rush and get guardianship and have the will changed. We were finding out from other people, uncle's Dr, pharmacist, neighbors would tell us they noticed a big change in my uncle. He would be withdrawn, seemed like he wasn't happy.

Found out from a caregiver she had witnessed the wicked witch push my uncle many times and would call him names (good thing she died before I got there, cause I would have handled her)

She wouldn't let any of the family talk to my uncle, whenever we would call she would answer the phone and say he was busy, in the bathroom, eating....etc. She especially didn't like me because I was very close to my uncle.....she actually said she was jealous of me......she was in her 80's. REALLY???

Youngest son actually thought he should inherit because he was the "step son" (who was at the time 56yrs old) of my uncle because his mom had married him (they were only married for a year before she died) family laughed about that.

Aunt/uncle never had biological children but I was the "favorite" aunt named me and wanted to adopt me (this was my mom's sister) but my mom said no. My mom was jealous of how much my aunt/uncle loved me. I don't have a relationship with my mom anymore so my aunt was like a mom to me.

So between my cousin myself and my husband and my uncle (uncle had his own attorney) my cousin and I had our own attorney $100,000,00 later my cousin and I were awarded guardianship.

His attorney talked to him about paying for some of this amount (we all know we can't "talk" to a person with dementia about money, but legally she had to, he kept telling his attorney he didn't have that much money.......she and all of us knew he did) my cousin and I were authorized by the court to withdraw $70,000.00 from my uncles account to pay for some of the legal fees.

Funny how how the person with the most money (uncle) had a free attorney with legal aid. Crazy.

We offered the brothers the $10,000.00 life insurance pay out my uncle had received from his 2nd wife's policy to walk away forever or we would be exposing them and their mother (who has already died) with all the evidence we had against for stealing/abusing our uncle.

So of course being guilty and not wanting to face legal charges they took the money and went away.

Cousin and I had to have the will amended (with approval from uncle's attorney) to have the wife and brothers removed.

Took almost 2 long years. I'm beyond exhausted. But grateful I was able to take care of my uncle in his home until I just couldn't do it anymore (hospice was amazing) uncle died in an MC. We were grateful he was only there for 3wks before he passed away.

Im still struggling, cry and so exhausted. Thank you all for your kind responses. Really needed that.

Nicole
(0)

Why would her son even think he was entitled to anything? The man was not his father nor raised by him. I would wonder if you could sue him for a frivolous lawsuit. I would why a lawyer would even take his case.
(0)

Wow, what a journey! Thank you so much for the update. Caregiving is indescribeably difficult. No one can understand it until they actually do it. Your incredible effort blessed many.
(0)

I am so sorry for your loss. Your Uncle was very blessed to have you.

Well done for everything you did to help and protect him.

May The Lord bless you greatly!

Your Aunt is beautiful.
(0)

The picture is my beautiful aunt. She was a model. My uncle's wife for 63yrs. Sadly she passed away in 2014.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter