Follow

My therapist recommended keeping a gratitude journal. Every morning, when you first wake up, jot down 5 things you feel grateful for. At the end of the day, jot down "bonus" things to be grateful for.

So I went to Michael's and bought a journal that said "Be the windshield, not the bug". This has been really helpful to readjust my focus to the positive aspects of life when things get rough.

Things get overwhelming sometimes, but boy does journaling really help! I'm finding that writing everything down really does help. But I highly recommend the gratitude journal thing to my fellow caregivers out there- gotta count as many blessings in life as we can!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Journaling helped me tremendously in the caregiving journey as well as life's
journey. Mine was not a gratitude one per se but when I felt grateful I would say so in my writings. I put all my feelings there especially ones that were difficult.
I still write in my journal... with the pandemic, my retirement and life events there was no way I could not document what is going on. I don't write every day but when I am feeling something intensely or something I have to get out, I write.
Keeps me sane, I believe.
Even your closest friends do not always want to hear the tough bits of your life so my journal is that "ear". It doesn't gossip. (smile)
There are very beautiful journal books out there with encouraging sayings. a treat for the eyes.
It's not good to hold feelings in and journaling helps to release them.
In the toughest situation, there is something to be grateful for. Sometimes, you have to dig deep to find it but it's there, if you choose to look at it that way.
(1)

I did a "grateful" notebook for well over 10 years(and that started probably 20 years ago), and then got out of the habit. I've since done it on and off, and you're right, it's amazing how it not only changes your attitude, but your perspective as well. No matter how hard things can get, we ALWAYS have something to be thankful/grateful for.
Thanks for the great reminder.
(1)

That's wonderful. I find journaling such a help in so many way. One such as yours, to gain perspective. I also kept a journal of my work for my bro, and all concerning him, when he fell ill and I became POA and Trustee of Trust. It serves as a good document to look back on as timeline.
After my bro died I took on a journal of notes and letters to him, when I thought of him, what I saw that day that reminded me of him. I collaged that one. That "Grief" and "celebration" book was a great comfort the first year after his death.
I am glad you mention this and it may help many. Wish it had been posted in discussion where these subjects kind of take on a life of their own.
(1)

I am pleased to hear you say you've found a way to manage your stress. Your post may help other caregivers. Gratitude is an overlooked emotion that many never consider as a way of coping. When reading posts of current and past caregivers, we read words like grief and guilt, seldom, if ever, do we read about gratitude, the third G. Being grateful for someone's life, both living and deceased, can help reduce and possibly eliminate some strong negative feelings and emotions.

“I'm doing the best I can, which is all that can be asked of me.” I love your attitude. You're right, caregiving is not for the faint of heart. It's refreshing to hear such a positive attitude about caregiving. Thanks for you wonderful post.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter