Follow

Funny Images...My sister & I are both in our 60’s and have some health issues of our own. So taking care of Papa, with his Parkinson’s is stressful, to say the least. I think it’s getting to my sister. This past week, she’s gone to the store twice in her slippers and the other day, she left without her bottom plate. She’s also had quite a few “blank moments” this week. Teehee 😂🤪

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Dear Becky,

I'm sorry to hear about the stress on you and your sister caring for your dad. I wonder if either you or her could get some respite. It is a lot even for two sisters to take on. I worry these signs are your sister getting burned out and needing more care herself. Maybe talk to a social worker and see what resources could be accessed in the community or possibly through church.
(4)

Caregiver burnout seems a likely cause of your sister's distracted state of mind. But those are symptoms I had recently with a UTI. I also fell down a lot. UTIs can cause very strange symptoms as we get into our sixties and beyond. It might be worth Sister's while to consult a doctor about these symptoms.
(3)

Becky - what do you mean by 'bottom plate?'
(0)

Dentures, I figure
(2)

Becky, what weird things have YOU been doing?
(1)

Yes, I was talking about her denture plate. I space out a lot, I can’t remember things that happened a few days ago. I imagine that’s from stress too, since I ran the sales department of a multimillion dollar manufacturing firm before my health issues took over. We were just trying to give you a chuckle and lighten your day a bit.
(4)

BeckyT, I hear you. The rituals of "normal life" that fall by the wayside when we're in the middle of full-time caregiving is a funny thing... as long as you aren't emotionally too burdened by it all, and overwhelmed with it, then it's just a matter of enduring each day's requirements without losing your mind completely. I would do things like run the coffee maker without putting coffee in it, put my keys in the refrigerator, I used to stay in same clothes for days with hair in a bun at times... You really drift off into the world of full-time caregiver with the mental overload. I say that going to store in slippers is no big deal in the big picture of things, unless there are people in your town you want to look nice for. 

Are you both getting through this ok, what with your personal health issues and everything? I think if you have your sense of humor intact and working well, you're doing better than most! big (((hugs)))
(3)

I think we’re doing ok, of course we are so, so tired. Papa isn’t falling right now, so there’s that. When he was, we always were always dressed & made up, ready to dash if needed. We try to rest every day, and we don’t do much that is not Papa related (dinner out once in awhile). I’m glad we have each other for support and to prop each other up.
(2)

I definitely see the humor in the situation, Becky, and I completely understand your need to see it as well! Sometimes when you're in the trenches of caregiving, you have to laugh, or you'll cry. Been there, done that....you have to find humor where you can.
(3)

Thanks SusanA43!
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter