Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3
By the way, Moonstruck, great movie!
(0)

Oh caregiverlvr1,

You're just being too damned nice!
Quit giving him so many excuses and chances.
You're second guessing yourself.

You want a normal relationship (you know you're not in one) and subconsciously you know you're not going to get it with him. Mommy Dearest will always be first.

There is something wrong with a man that sleeps WITH his mother. That's great when they are 2 but not 52!!! Sorry, too weird for me.

You go on about how EVERYTHING is wonderful UNTIL it comes to his mother. Well then everything is NOT wonderful. He's glued to her like flies on p**p.

First suggestion-Get a partner near your own age. He's too old for you and is like a father figure.

Second suggestion-Go to a therapist. Ask if you are on the right track. Take into consideration the 59 responses you have received here.

You have compromised your values to be a "second rate" GF. Is that where you want to be?

You don't need to be sympathetic to his mother's condition. She may have beginning dementia but she's also a manipulative old battle ax. I would not try to "work it out". You've had 2 years to do that.
Just an, "I'm sorry, this isn't working out." should suffice. Don't look back, don't believe the empty promises. Look at the history of the last 2 years.

Let him "be nice" to his mommy. You are just a convenient distraction "with benefits" when he can pull away from her.

Get a (new) life.
(8)

Caregiver, treeartust has a good point, maybe there is no mother.
I feel sad for you, but listen.
You came here seeking advice because you already felt something wasn't right.
Or you came here hoping someone would say its ok, this is normal, hang in there.
Truth is nothing about what you have told us is normal for behaviour of someone proclaiming love. If he loved you he would want you to be a part of his life, not keep you separated and held hostage with his words.
Please consider yourself, he is a selfish person when it comes to being a boyfriend. A relationship never works out well if both are not invested.
Oh, I wish I could give you a hug and tell you, you are worth more.
I will pray for you to see the light.
Best wishes. Keep us posted how you are.
(6)

I'm actually thinking that on page 5, you had it right. You said something to the effect that he does not want to let her down. I think he's avoiding confrontation. He's taking you out on occasion because he also does not want to let you down. I don't think he actually has any commitment to you, but he's afraid to break it off for fear of you crying.

Just say you don't have time next weekend to visit with him if you've bugged him about it already, and let you two grow apart. It does not have to be big blow up thing to not see him anymore. Just don't see him. I bet he won't notice if you don't call.
(6)

Great suggestion Surprise!
Ease out of the relationship. Do your own thing on the weekends. Go out with your friends, take a yoga class or whatever to put yourself out there to meet people (not necessarily men) that share your interests and make you happy. Clearly you are not happy now. You are only 32! Don’t waste one of the best times of your life on this guy.
There is definitely something wrong with a man who would sleep in the same bed as his mother. Please look at this objectively. Their relationship is not healthy.
I hope you find your inner strength to extract yourself from this arrangement. You deserve so much more. You ARE worthy of the best. Maybe therapy will help you through this as well as help you understand your worth and that you deserve respect and acknowledgment of your needs especially in intimate relationships.
You can turn it around. It sounds as if he recognizes your self doubt about yourself and uses it to his advantage.
No you aren’t being selfish because he chooses to be a caregiver. His mother and her demands of him are not normal. Has she been diagnosed with dementia or is this just a rouse? You will never know as you haven’t even met the woman. Don’t allow them to manipulate you any more.
Begin to step away.
(5)

I was going to ask if he and his mother sleep in the same room when they go away, but then you tell us he sleeps in the bed with his mother? ??? I can't get past that. This sounds like a dysfunctional relationship.

He's 52. Doubt he's going to change. And another thing to think about - you're only 32. Do you want to end up taking care of HIM, since he's 20 years older?

Question -- you said he's in healthcare. Is he a doctor? Nurse?
(4)

What sort of Indian?

In most Indian/Asian cultures women go to live with their husbands' families on marriage. Sons remain more or less attached to their mothers' households. Your boyfriend's situation might get him affectionately mocked or pitied back in the sub-continent, but it wouldn't be considered at all abnormal.

You also don't know how many potential partners this mother has seen off, of course.

Look. If he is a 52 year old doctor who is comfortable in his own culture and you're not from it and you wouldn't know where to start with it, you haven't a prayer of making a successful relationship out of this. That doesn't mean you can't stay friends, but if you're looking for a partner in the meaningful sense of the word, look elsewhere.

If he took you to meet his mother, the chances are that she would be utterly vile to you and make you both miserable. If you retaliated... from his point of view, it doesn't even bear thinking about. It may be regrettable that he is so afraid of what might happen, but it's not without reason. You are not "A Suitable Girl." His mother is not going to be happy for him. Face facts.

And don't worry about him! - he'll be fine. Without even trying I can name three men in comparable situations - one married at 50 and now has three fine sons; one married at 46, went through merry H*ll with his mother over it even though he had chosen a wife who on paper met all her criteria, somehow survived and, now an orphan, is still married to the same lady 24 years later; and one never married, is widely assumed to be gay (he isn't), but on the plus side can enjoy all the material benefits of a comfortable home and generous pension with no one else's needs to consider. Worst case scenario for your b/f is that he ends up alone but very secure, with lots of godchildren, nieces and nephews, and everyone says what a wonderful son he was to his mother.

So he'll be happy. And so can you be - with someone else :)
(5)

What strikes me is that the boyfriend has said terribly cruel things to you, again and again. I wonder if there's something wrong with him in addition to his enmeshment with his mother. Frankly, he sounds like an abuser. If you decide to end the relationship, I suggest you do it either by phone or in a public place, just in case. Sorry if this is too strong a comment --- the administrators should delete it if it isn't allowed.
(6)

Why are you dating someone who is almost old enough to be your father? Are you looking for a father figure?
(2)

Missed a lot of answers here but everyone seems to be of the same opinion, lose this perverted looser. Mommy can have him bedfellow and all. Just makes me shudder. you are worth more than that.
(6)

Hi cmagnum,

No I am not looking for a father figure. My father has always been a present person in my life. I have dated men my own age. I've just always believed that age doesn't matter as long as there is a connection and mutual maturity.
(0)

CaregiverLvr1, you want mutual maturity with a 52-yo boy who sleeps in his mother's bed?
(5)

You sound more connected to him than he does to you as connected as he is with his mother. Being connected to his mother as he is, I question his maturity.
(3)

Caregiver
Have you met his siblings? I HAVE to know! Please answer....yet another red flag if you haven't. Wonder what that excuse is..he is just 1 BIG excuse isn't he?

So many red flags .....too little time to address them all!

I think you are well aware that a healthy relationship would have included meeting his Mother within 6 months so presumably 2 years down the road you would both be involved with supporting her. Any Caregiver would /should welcome that situation as it is so very taxing caring for a Dementia patient. A SO to call or stop by for short visits would be a God send. So for him to completely shut you out of that role is leading me to wonder what the truth really is.

Is there even a Mother & let's just say there is. She doesn't have Dementia to the extent he is leading you to believe as evidenced by so much alone time, dinners out,socializing with friends,plane trips,vacations etc etc.

I hope you are still on a time out with him............stay strong....this is not what you are looking for.
When his Mom does pass would you be able to forgive & forget? I know I couldn't.....
(1)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter