Follow

This is really not a question but observation. I have written in other post that my mom is a shy introvert. She has never been comfortable socializing. Now that she is in an ALF, she is doing what she is comfortable with….spending time alone. She does enjoy a couple of activities but eats in her room. The dining room gives her anxiety due to the people and noise.

So, when I visit, I am encouraging her to make friends but she simply is not comfortable doing that. When I leave our visits, I know she will be alone, with the exception of the Aids and it just breaks my heart.

She would go out if I was with her because SHE IS ONLY BRAVE when I am there. When I visit and roll her, in the wheel chair, to the garden, she waves to others like she is in a parade.

I guess my point is, a full time caregiver would drive her crazy but her other alternative is isolation. I think she wants to be alone but seems unhappy alone now that the disease has progressed. Does that make sense?

I hate this disease.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
As an introvert myself....Leave her be.
It isn't about shyness, although your Mom might be shy, it's about engagement styles. What you call isolation is the only way to charge the batteries for an introvert.
personally, I find extroverts exhausting! (and a bit annoying ;) ).
(4)

Let her relax in her room and enjoy solitude if that's what she likes. Not everyone has to be a social butterfly.
(5)

Even an extrovert with Dementia can go into themselves. My Mom was kept in the Common area most of the time. I did not want her left in her room a lone. She spent her days walking the hall and sitting in the chairs along the way. Found her shoes next to one of the chair. Neatly put there.
(2)

Msblcb, you could try a private part-time caregiver if it is in Mom's budget. It helped my Dad as he was quite shy. You would need to find someone who is a "good match". Dad liked his caregiver, she had a similar childhood on a farm, etc. Finding common interest helps.

Dad's 7am-1pm caregiver did get him out of his apartment, even if it was the sunporch or outside porch where he would people watch. If she noticed there was a music event that had music that Dad enjoyed, she would bring him there. She also made sure he got to his physical therapy sessions. During those session, she would do his personal laundry.

I know how your Mom feels about dining room noise. It can become overwhelming. I know for myself, I rather eat at home [get carry-out] then deal with all that clatter and talking, kids screaming, etc. Got to a point we couldn't hear each other to talk.
(4)

It totally makes sense. I guess we can never achieve a perfect balance. Everything has its pros and cons.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter