Follow

An oncologist wrote a really interesting essay about why he wants to die at 75 and not later. It really gave me some stuff to think about. I often wish death with dignity was legal throughout the States. Do you?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/10/why-i-hope-to-die-at-75/379329/

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Both he and his brother, Rahm Emmanuel, spend a lot of time thinking about what a strain on the system those pesky retired seniors who have finished contributing paycheck taxes turn out to be. Considering that they want you to work until 70 (and they're floating 72 now)...? Very 'Soylent Green' of them.
I advocate for it in certain cases, but I question the motivation here, and I think it's absurd to set a timeframe. That was written in 2014-wonder how he feels about it now?
(0)

I would love to have the "option" for final exit. However, stats indicate that those who have it, even when terminal and in states allowing self-deliverance, often don't take the meds. They are comforted that they can if it gets to be "too much".

I have to laugh at the 75 years cut off that any person BELOW that age would make. One who wishes to go at 70, 75, 80, often has a whole new perspective when they actually are THERE. I am 80, so I guarantee that. You know you have all these aches and pains and "issues" but you "feel" younger in your mind. And often aren't ready to swallow down that elixir.

l think we should check in with the oncologist when she/he is 75.
(2)

Older post but a timeless topic!
(0)

Unfortunately The Atlantic is now fully paywalled and I can no longer access it, but I assume from Countrymouse's comment the author is nowhere near 75? I share her sentiments, it's so easy to talk about living too long due to excessive medical intervention until you or your SO are the ones in trouble (as clearly evidenced by the many caregivers on this forum who have struggled with heart disease, transplants, cancer and other health related problems).
(1)

I don't suppose I'll be around to find out, but what I'd be really interested to know is what the oncologist says about it when he actually is 75.
(5)

I would rather have the dignity of being able to choose my own destiny at the end of my life..and spare my loved ones the trauma of seeing me suffer.
(1)

Peanut,

My mom developed dementia later in her life. Yeah, Parkinson’s disease is dreadful.
(1)

The suffering - and watching the suffering - is sooooo awful.
(3)

My dad has been living with Parkinsons for 25 years (actually longer considering how long it took him to visit a doctor). How sad to see them suffer. In some ways, the dementia has saved him. I'm not sure he totally understands the condition he's in. But my mom, my sister and I certainly see it.
(2)

I'm so happy to hear you are still active and happy! It's really sad to watch my parents suffer so greatly. But it sounds like you are taking care of yourself. I'd admire you greatly!
(2)

True! For many, like my parents, their bodies keep working despite dozens of health problems that are very serious...euthanasia is the only way for them to get out of this (besides the natural way, but that this point, they've survived so many tragedies I'm having a hard time believing that'll happen soon). They're just suffering. I think my dad would like to die with dignity. I'm not sure why this doctor thinks he'll just magically die at 75. Unless he's saying he'd take matters into his own hands?????
(2)

This is an intensely personal topic.

My husband’s great grandmother lived to be just shy of 102! No health issues, had all of her faculties, no meds other than Tylenol for an occasional headache. No cane or walker!

She grew up on a farm. She married and gave birth to 12 children. She outlived some of her kids and all but one of her siblings.

We threw a huge party for her when she turned 100! We hired a band and she was dancing along with the music. She was still cooking until her late 90’s! We should all be so lucky in life to be this healthy, right?

My great aunts lived to be in their late 90’s, still volunteering in their communities, making fruit cakes to give for the holidays and so on. They lived wonderful lives.

My mom, on the other hand who lived to be 95 would have loved to have died sooner. She suffered with Parkinson’s disease and was ready to die much earlier than she did.

After watching my mother suffer for so long, I definitely don’t want to live an extremely long life unless I am in good health.

I wish we had euthanasia in our state. Change is slow. I wish it was available in all fifty states.
(2)

Amen sister.
(1)

Yes, as an 80 year old and a former nurse, I very much wish that we had right to die laws in every state, and that they were not as restricted as they are. VERY MUCH.
I am 80 and pretty good still, independent, on my feet, and enjoying life, but I am also very ready to go, and I would certainly avail myself of such a mode were I able at a point I could not live independently and with my faculties, physical and mental.
Just an opinion.
(4)

I read about this guy on a different news site. He’s 65 now and his mother is still living at 89. Guess his attitude helps sum up how he feels about her still being here! I’m the article I read, I thought he made some valid points about what often happens to people in very old age. I can agree about people chasing less and less effective treatments, becoming seen as pathetic by others, living lives in pain or revolving around medical care. But he loses me on refusing antibiotics for basic illnesses and some other points. Death with dignity is a valid conversation and I think, need. Don’t we all fear our final time being one long illness, filled with pain? We are often kinder to pets and release them from having to endure such. And yes, I do believe in a God who has a purpose and plan for us all. I’m just not sure suffering an awful death is supposed to be part of that
(3)

I don't like what he says here, "Since the 1990s, I have actively opposed legalizing euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide. People who want to die in one of these ways tend to suffer not from unremitting pain but from depression, hopelessness, and fear of losing their dignity and control." That statement makes NO sense to me at all, and sounds insulting to boot. For him to say people who want to die do not suffer from unremitting pain but depression, hopelessness, etc. is ludicrous. I feel like euthanasia and physician assisted suicide SHOULD be legalized all over the world. There are many reasons why people want to end their lives, and he's not privy TO them.

I managed to get about 1/2 way through his article and quit reading. It was a bit too morbid (and boring) for my tastes. I hope the author 'lives to 75' as he wishes, and doesn't find himself in TRUE need of physician assisted suicide, huh?
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter