In the news...

Follow

Anyone see the news from Arizona about the 92 year old lady who shot and killed her son on Monday because she believed he was going to move her to assisted living? She also assaulted the son’s girlfriend before the gun was taken from her and she was arrested. What a sad turn of events, really makes you think...

Comments

Show:
1 2 3 4 5
Do we even know if the police knew there were guns in the house? If they are not aware of the existence of the guns, we can not expect them to do anything. If the DV calls had involved firearms, they would have confiscated and someone would have gone to jail.

Opinions and bung holes, everybody has one.
(0)

CMagnum, I suspect the Sheriff's Office may take some heat for its handling of the situation, but this raises another issue that crosses over into caregiving, and that's hostility sometimes escalated to violence on the part of elders with dementia.

I don't know if the previous calls for domestic violence are admissible as "prior bad acts", so that might be an issue as well. As to what could have been done, one of the parties could have been incarcerated but if the 92 year old was the violent one, I suspect there would be negative flak for jailing a woman of that age.

These folks probably shouldn't have been living together. And how many times have we seen posters raise similar issues here? I think that's the larger issue, which also turns on the ability of people to either fund or convince elders living somewhere other than with the family.

CM, your suggestion is good; perhaps psychological counseling should have been ordered for both, as well as a dementia eval for the mother. Still, those aren't necessarily going to change behavior and create the ability to problem solve.

I still think this has the potential to rally supporters on both sides, with pro-caregiving organizations arguing, justifiably, that funding is needed for more options for folks who need non home placements, but can't afford it and don't qualify for Medicaid.

Ali, I think the Sheriff's Office could have seized the guns; I don't know why they couldn't, unless state statute prevented that option.

Thinking on this line and remembering when I worked in the Juvenile Court, situations like this could have been addressed a few ways: the juvenile would be removed from the home (as protection from the parent(s) and placed in Children's Center while the parents themselves would be ordered for counseling, as well as periodic reporting and monitoring.

Or if there wasn't a history of family violence and this was first incident, the minor might have been left in the home and everyone ordered for counseling, monitored by the Juvenile Court.

Would either of those options have solved the problem? Sometimes it helped, sometimes it didn't. It all turned on family dynamics.
(3)

I hate this discussion simply cause it's like the euthanasia thread. It never gets anywhere. It's always he said, she said, I think, you think, you are wrong for what you think, I am right, type of discussion.

In a perfect world where everyone got along and there wasn't ever any fear of any kind of violence, we wouldn't have to be talking about this. My Hubs always says "God was wrong when he gave us free will" But, he did so whats the point of even saying that. Can you imagine a universe where we didn't have free will? What would be the point?
But, along with free will comes the choice, should I buy a gun? I'm glad that in Canada at least, we have strong laws in place forbidding carrying firearms. Yes, I know that if someone really wants to they could get a gun illegally. But this argument that someone could just as easily kill someone with a knife or a spoon even is valid but at the same time ridiculous. I don't think when people go out and buy their cutlery they have the intention of using it as a weapon at some further date. You could smother someone with a pillow too or a blanket. Hell, use your dogs chew toy and stuff it down someone's mouth. Let's get real here. When someone goes out and buys a gun unless they are just going to use it for target practice it's still a lethal weapon and if they use it it's probably to maim or kill something or somebody. End of story.
(4)

If they believed the two were a danger to each other, I think that they could have had them each sent to the ward where they would have been evaluated.
(5)

What could they do, Cmag? Could they legally seize all the guns in the home? I don't they have the legal authority to do that. I'm not sure what more could have been done. From what I've read, this is the state of the investigation/discussion right now, focusing on that question: what more could have been done to prevent this...?  I don't personally know of any laws that would help here. If the son believed himself in imminent danger, he could have left the residence they shared.
(2)

If the police were aware that there was a potential for future violence in this situation, then why didn't they do something?
(3)

Well... I don't know about "crack shot." The thing about guns is they're extremely lethal. There are numerous accidental homicides every year in the U.S. where someone happens to fire off a gun, not meaning to hit anyone and definitely not meaning to kill, but it happens.   Or the numerous homicides around Chicago where a child is on their front porch, in a window, in a park, and a bullet strikes and kills them.  There's no aiming there; it's an accidental victim, but still very much lethal shot.  

It's a sad story about the woman killing her son. I don't think it's representative of much to do with gun ownership in general. When a 92 yo is certain that her son means her harm, what's to stop her from cutting his throat while he sleeps? He may have survived... but he may have survived being shot, too.

I'm the last person on Earth to ever argue "weapon of opportunity" arguments (they usually drive me insane, "she could've killed him with a spoon/car/pencil/baseball bat just as easily"), or be pro gun rights. But... this is a weird case, a one off.
(2)

She is a crack shot if she could still shoot to kill at 92
(1)

A USA Today article reported that.

"Sheriff Paul Penzone said his office will be will review whether his officers made appropriate judgments in the visits to the Fountain Hills home that preceded the shooting.

"Our agency had been to the home a few times prior. The reason we were out was to investigate domestic disputes between the victim and her son and potential threats," Penzone said.

There were six calls for service at the residence since January, according to the sheriff's office.

Of the six calls, four alone were on June 21 for a domestic dispute, officials said. Another was for a possible identity theft report and another involved a wrong-number call, MCSO said. Further details were not available.

"There were communications between the parties expressing the frustration in the relationship even to the point where both had expressed a concern that the other party could become violent," Penzone said.

While there were potential threats and concerns about violence between the mother and son, the Sheriff's Office did not intervene, Penzone said.

He said the agency will investigate how those calls were handled."
(4)

I'm far more interested in how this news story develops over time with additional facts that will come out about it as the investigation and case continues.
(3)

1 2 3 4 5
Related
Questions