Follow

My daughter and I, after strong suggestions from doctors, finally put her mother Frances (my wife) into an Alzheimer's care facility full time. Although Frances and I lived in Houston, we elected to place her into a facility near Meridian, Miss. where our daughter lives. That stay commenced about Jan 1, 2018. I have just relocated to Meridian myself to be near my wife and daughter. Our plan is that one of us will visit Frances every other day for a few minutes or as long as the visit seems to make Frances more content. MY GOAL HERE. I'd like to post my experiences and feelings hereupon as this stay evolves and to gain feedback from this community. I made my second visit to see Frances today. I just got relocated here 3 days ago. As they say in the legal world, without objection, I'll proceed in a day or so. Thanks for your attention. Fisherman

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Yay! So glad to hear that this last visit went well.
(1)

Welcome aboard Fisherman, and glad things are going better!
(0)

Fisherman, having the reassurance that Frances is in a good facility, that the Staff is attentive and welcoming, will give you and your daughter a bit of relief, per say. You both can now exhale, and know that Frances is getting great care.

Keep us up-to-date.
(2)

Thank you. Frances could not be in a better facility. The entire staff is very attentive and welcoming. She is far better cared for there than she could possibly be at home (even if that were possible).

We will be going back tomorrow.
(7)

I'm glad you had a better experience visiting your wife today, and apparently so did she. It must be very sad and disconcerting when she doesn't seem to recognize you, and very reassuring when she clearly does. Thanks for sharing.
(3)

Today, Sunday 08, 2018 was my second visit with my wife (along with my daughter). Yesterday was the first visit we made.

Yesterday, my wife was non-communicative. She didn't utter a single word, looked like she didn't know where she was and slept most of the time we were there (about 20 mins)

Today was a 100 % turnaround. She seemed to recognize us and was quite expressive but let us know politely when she was tired and needed to retreat.

All in all ... a real encouraging turnaround.

Tomorrow is another day.
(9)

Fisherman, I know about a year ago you wrote about your wife wanting to "go home" and wondering how to deal with that. My Mom had the same question to me when she was living in long-term-care. But her home was back in the early 1900's on a farm in the New England area of the U.S.

I realize it was a difficult decision for you and your daughter to place wife/Mom into a memory care facility, but it was a good decision. Excellent idea of either you or your daughter visiting Frances every other day for a few minutes or longer. Frances does need to get herself use to the facility, use to the Staff, and if possible make friends.

Yes, come back to us with any questions or to just vent. We will listen.
(1)

Glad you found the site and welcome. I grew up not so far from Meridian, hope you’ll find your new home to be a good place for you and that your wife will adjust well
(1)

Hi, Fisherman! I look forward to reading your next post as well. Welcome!
(3)

Mr. Fisherman - So glad you found this forum.

I hope both you and your wife are settling into your respective places. I can imagine that it is hard for her and you being in new places and being separated from each other. Please do share your experiences with us here and we will be more than happy to provide feedback. You will find that many of us are in the same boat as you and understand what you, your wife, and daughter are going through. Look forward to reading your next post.
(2)

It will be very good to have you share your experiences Fisherman. We learn so much from each other and recieve much comfort when in distress.
(5)

Welcome, Fisherman. And, you ARE welcome. As we’ve often said, we are open 24/7. We are interested in hearing your experiences as you, your wife and daughter travel down this road. We offer our opinions and sometimes, those opinions aren’t popular but we are always honest.

Come often to share your experiences!
(3)

Welcome, Fisherman. I'm sure your daughter is so relieved to have you both near her. I moved my parents 200 miles to be near me, as running down to them when they had issues was very hard on me (I was working full-time). It kept increasing over time and I finally asked them to move and they agreed.

Please keep us posted on your journey, we all learn from and comfort each other.
(5)

Welcome, Fisherman,
I am sorry about your wife. I am happy to know that you will be close to your wife and daughter. I am very well acquainted with the rolling hills of Meridian. I hope your wife settles in well and that you both will be happy there. Come back and share whenever you want. This is a supportive and caring community.
(4)

Welcome, Fisherman. You don't need anyone's permission to post here. All are welcome. I'm sorry you are dealing with Alzheimers and your wife has had to be placed in a nursing home. Many of our posters are facing similar circumstances. I'm sure you'll find lots of support here.
(6)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter