Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Earlybird,

True, Insurance is very expensive. Out of a lot of people’s budget.
(1)

It’s a trade off, Cap. Plus sometimes it’s more care than a person can handle. Know what I mean?
(0)

i think the current laws make perfectly good sense . if you would like to benefit from your parents accrued assets youre going to have to take care of them . if you leave it to the state the assets will be burned up .

if my kid or grandkid sees to it that i stay in my home , they become the owners of a dam nice home and property . they will have earned it imo .

it aint always that simple but many times it is . a fellow i used to work with was btchn about his mothers assets disappearing in only a couple years of institutional care . there were 5 kids in his family yet no one could take care of mom ? must not have wanted the assets very badly .
(0)

When my kids said they would care for me, I stopped them immediately and said to them, “Like hell, you will! No you will not because I won’t allow it but I appreciate that you want to.”
(2)

I have made it clear to them that they are to put me in a facility. I'm certain i will die before i get old so it likely wont matter, but i have been explicitly clear in my wishes.
(3)

I had long term care insurance, but cancelled it years ago when it was reasonable and I was younger. I wish I did not cancel it, but too expensive now. Do not want any family members caring for me. I hope to live the rest of my life in my own home, but if not possible I want to be placed in a nice decent facility.
(3)

My experience with caring for mom really taught me the importance of planning ahead. My husband and I plan to talk to the lawyer to get our own estate plan in order. Honestly, before I became a caregiver, I had never thought too much about having a will, trust, POA, etc. It was always something I'd think about "later". But after all that we went through and mom being relatively young when she started to develop dementia and memory loss and then when she passed, it really opened my eyes. We never know when illness might put us in a position of needing care.

I personally want to be placed in a facility if I can no longer care for myself, and plan to make provisions for that in the estate planning process if possible. I want to spell our wishes out in writing for the kids, and have a plan in place to take as much of the load off of them as we can.
(2)

Unless we establish a trust, we are all subject to someone declaring us mentally unfit and taking over everything we own - even kids you never thought would do that! They can spend the money on themselves and we are left to handle life on our own (happened with my mom - younger brother about bled her dry). I would urge everyone to see an eldercare atty to protect your assets.
(7)

A lot of people don’t have long term care insurance because they can’t afford it or they never thought about it. My mother doesn’t have it and neither do I. I heard it is expensive. My kids both told me at thanksgiving that if I ever act the way grandma does, they are putting me in a home!!! I said not if I don’t want to, lol. But if I got to a point where I couldn’t take care of myself I would want home health aids to come to my house. I would be agreeable. I wouldn’t give them a hard time. Now if I had dementia, well that’s a different story. I would want to go to a nursing home and not be a burden to my kids.
(3)

Let us know what you find out please, 1826.
(0)

Not yet, but I'm considering it
(1)

Yeah, we have not checked into that. I guess we should consider it. Do you have it?
(1)

That's very considerate. I also would want my children to live their life. Keep things as mom and daughter, not caregiver. I dont have kids. Just saying.

A good thing to have is long term care insurance, so we have it when we need it.
All the best :)
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter