Follow

I would open adult daycare centers that would be open 24/7 365 to be available for those families that couldn’t afford it.

I would start an elder shuttle service for free to go anywhere they needed to go.

I would open a soup kitchen with really good food every day. No one should go hungry.

I would match the elderly with others with similar interest. No one should ever be lonely.

I would make recordings of all the fascinating stories of yesteryear from interesting and fascinating seniors. These could be played to young people to learn about history. We have a top notch WW11 museum here. The exhibits have videos with service men telling personal stories. They are very moving to hear.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Being from Australia I would give those in USA the same as we have that is, If a spouse or long term partner or anyone that relies on living in the patient ‘s home, that home cannot be sold or counted as an asset. Then it’s a sliding scale of other assets to determine how much the patient must pay towards their care home. All health care and doctor bills paid for low income persons. All elderly get cut priced medications Every care home, hospital or memory care unit from the worst to the best would have to have rooms available to the poor and those who exist on the pension only. Mandatory random inspections of homes, staff qualifications and bookkeeping. Heavy penalties for places that fail this standard. A Commissioner/ Ombudsman in every state for Mental Health and those in care. Group homes organised depending on the type of care. Dementia specific only homes.
(2)

Wished I had made recordings... Geez,, how simple that would have been when they could actually speak.....
(0)

I like the idea of 24 hr day care. And elders making friends with common interests.
(0)

Unlimited funds would meet e v e r y b o d y ' s needs, so I would not have to choose. yay.
(2)

Just today I saw a post on Nextdoor.com by a senior who was offering herself as a "checker", someone who would (for free) visit people to check up on them. She said it brought her joy. Now this is a great thing, costs nothing and benefits both people.
(1)

You are describing Japan.
(0)

Needhelpwithmom, you have GREAT ideas!! I especially love the adult day care open 24/7 365 days a year!!! That would be wonderful!! I like your thinking!!
(1)

Geaton,

Checker? That’s perfect!
(0)

Tacy,

You have incredible answers! Love every single one of them 💗

Love free mental and legal help for all. So often hands are tied because of not being able to afford legal help.

Best of luck to you. Please update us!
(0)

Sendhelp,

True! But I am sure that you still have great ideas to share. I love hearing other’s thoughts. We learn so much from each other’s ideas.
(0)

Panda,

Nice, indeed!
(0)

Need to wash hair,

I had a Japanese penpal for three years as a kid but we didn’t discuss old people. I was 12. He was 15. It started as a school project. It ended because he had an arranged marriage at 18.

I loved corresponding weekly with him.

Not familiar with Japan’s care of the elderly but in America we need some positive changes.
(1)

Elaine,

I know you have good ideas. Your mom might block all of your ideas but if you could implement them things would change!
(1)

I would start a law firm of elder attorneys who would work to make it easier for well intentioned and capable adults to care for their parents with dementia. Our family was high jacked by a relative who got POA over my mother without her spouse or children knowing a thing about it - until the relative "informed" us one day. Surprise Surprise!! She was after mom's money, but her limit to care giving was a nursing home. This is a woman totally capable of living at home with supervision but that ate into her inheritance more than the nursing home. Thank God mom saw the writing on the wall before it was too late. This year has been excruciating for our family and this should never happen to another family ever again. Seniors with cognitive deficits should be subject to rigorous scrutiny when handing over POA to anyone but a spouse or their children and undue influence should be expected. A will making that same POA a sole heir should never be written the same day. Seems like common sense right? Go figure. If it can happen to us it can happen to anyone. It shouldn't happen ever again!!
(2)

So many good ideas, Ellen
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter