Follow

My 90 year old mom has been eating very little for a couple of months. It got really bad this week when she would only eat one small tub of jelly each day. After a short crying meltdown (my first but, I'm guessing, not the last), I regrouped and decided to feed her every 1-2 hours, instead of when we have our 3 meals a day. She has dementia, so has no concept of time. I just wake her several times a day.

I also bought a greater variety of small soft foods, trying to make things more interesting. Applesauce, Klondike bars, mashed potatoes with butter, etc. Added Boost with chocolate milk.

She is on hospice, but I can't just stop trying to make her a little stronger. I want her (and she wants) to see the birds and flowers again.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I think you are doing all the right thing in offering smaller amounts more often. Is your mom totally bed bound? I would encourage you to get her outside to see those birds and flowers now if there is any way to make it happen.
There is a very helpful pamphlet available from the Alzheimer Canada website, if you google the title it should come up.

Food - The four letter word in end of life care
(1)

Yes, totally bed bound. Once I get her stronger, I will start trying to sit her up again (orthostatic hypotension from being so dehydrated).
(0)

Great idea I'll try that with my mom. Thanks.
(0)

Also got Pedialyte freezer pops. After 3 days of this, she has already improved.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter