Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I think a lot of the pushback is coming from rules that seem arbitrary and senseless; why is one store safer than any other, why can I buy groceries a Walmart but not shoes, why are people being fined for letting their kids use the swings in a deserted park or their dogs run in the no leash areas, why do some businesses get to do curbside pickups and deliveries while others are not no matter how safely and intelligently? Where I live the vast majority of the problem seems to be centred in nursing homes as well as high density urban areas, I think that allowing for a phased in regional approach - ever vigilant for any sign of new outbreaks, and that relies on timely testing - could, perhaps even should take place soon. But then those of us in Ontario who live outside the golden horseshoe are used to political management that forgets their issues are very often not the same as ours.
(2)

If you want to stay in, you should.  The government should be the least restrictive as it can
(1)

I do not understand the thinking behind restricting home improvement purchases like paint or restricting yard work which normally includes social distancing. The home improvement stores are huge with very few people for the space under normal conditions. Our local Lowe's has had a pickup service where you could order online and pickup from a special counter just inside the door for a couple of years; now they will bring your order out to the curb. Even smaller hardware stores tend to have a lot less customer density than any grocery or target/walmart.

During a "stay at home" period, being able to paint and make other small self improvements to your home can be a good project to occupy yourself or your family. Having something productive to do is also good for mental health! I've got the kids putting down patio pavers around my porches and an area adjacent to the 10'x24' storage building (otherwise known as the toy barn due to its contents). I purchased raised garden bed frames and plan on planting tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots and string beans around May 10. My window sills contain cottage cheese cartons of plants just waiting for the overnight freeze warnings to clear. I have a little bet going with my nephew that I'm going to harvest more tomatoes and cucumbers from my little raised garden than the main garden will produce. Because of the heat and humidly, we tend to have a problem with tomato blight which I will avoid completely with the raised beds (better drainage and watering the soil instead of the plants).

I have purchased a gazebo kit for the kids to build (with my supervision) this summer. My idea of social distancing includes pushing the kids outside into the 5 acre yard as much as practical. We're going to open the above ground pool as soon as possible too since the chlorine in the pool water kills viruses.

Some of my friends working in retail are complaining about people making "non-essential" purchases but I think a lot of their complaints are more about not being able to consider what may be secondary needs for other households. Food and household supplies are primary essential needs, but there are other important secondary needs too. One grand-nephew is in a growing phase and as the temperatures are warming, he doesn't have much summer appropriate clothing because nothing he wore last summer fits anymore; he can't even get his athletic or jean shorts over his hips. Coloring books or a plastic water table toy may not seem like essential purchases either unless you are staying at home with a couple of younger children. If you are already going to a walmart like store for groceries, I don't see brief trips through the men's department or toy section or using the pickup service for these purchases as greatly increasing your infection risk.

We are not going to have a CV vaccine for a year and we cannot stay in total isolation until then. We are going to have to use mail order and thoughtful local shopping to manage our exposure risks and prevent wide spreads of the disease.
(7)

Mid, our middle child is pregnant with her second child in Park City,due in August. I am so glad they were able to relocate from SF in the past year. The daycare is of course closed but they were able to hire someone for half a day since they can work from home and she and her husband have alot of work due to their fields of work. She has said she is cooking every night. I love it there but I have left NY and snow so that aspect makes me only want to visit. I was there last June. We hope we can go around the time of new baby's arrival.
(1)

Here in Utah, all restaurants are closed for 'indoor eating' but most are open for curbside pickup. DH and I are trying to support local small restaurants by eating 'out' more than normal.

Most stores are open, but someone is cleaning the carts before you use them. Some small businesses are closed, others aren't.

Some people are wearing masks, most, in fact, but many are not. We really don't even know if they help, but it does give us a sense of 'control'.

We do social distancing, any 'visiting' is done outdoors on the doorstep. We haven't had church in 6 weeks and no end in sight for that. Many of my neighbors don't even go outside, and that, I think, is kind of ridiculous. Sunshine and fresh air is important. Also, being stuck indoors is leading to depression and anxiety. I think I am OK and then I have a rotten night--can't sleep, nightmares and anxiety. PLUS we've been having sizable earthquakes, something over which we have zero control.

I hear we are going to have a 'soft open' around May 1st. Some places will be opened for shorter hours, slowly easing us back into normalcy.

Yes, at that time there will be an uptick in deaths---but it is impossible for us to continue in lockdown mode forever.

I have a daughter who is moving back to Utah from VA in a month or so. They are struggling, do they drive or fly and have the cars towed? It's a risk either way.
I'm just sick to my stomach thinking of them staying in random hotels for 4 nights.

On top of all of this, I am still recovering from cancer and last week came down with shingles. I KNOW it's due to stress, but still. About the last thing I need.

Trying to be upbeat and positive and sharing that feeling and attitude (which I often don't really feel!) with my neighbors and family is exhausting me.

And I fully agree--we have people who are flouting the rules right now--just being jerks about using common sense--you're right--you can't fix stupid!
(9)

Our stores are limiting the number of people allowed in the building and we can still buy anything.

My washer broke down and the appliance repair house was open, you order on the phone and pay, when you get to the facility you call and they put it outside for you to pick up. I think lots of stores are doing business this way.

Thankfully, because we can't imagine how difficult this would be having to deal with broke down household necessities and not being able to get parts. What if it was your fridge? Yikes.

Michigan is governed by a complete idiot. I think that people tend to live up to expectations of them. I hope that she is prepared for the consequences of her expectations of her fellow man living in MI. I hear reports of companies making their employees collect unemployment, because they are supposed to be closed and then requiring them to work for free. Sounds like fraud to me. But she is not even dealing with these types of situations, maybe it's getting in the way of her camera time?

I feel very blessed to live in a state that has a governor that has loads of common sense and runs the state in a manner that brings some security to the table. I know that he is looking at the big picture and makes good decisions to keep things as safe and normal as possible. Like feeding our truckers and giving them a safe place to rest. Helping our supply chains and essential workers remain safe and cared for so the rest of us can continue to have our basic necessities met and then some. It's great to see how the community is working together to help those that risk their lives to be there for others.

I think that my state will be opened in a safe process, intended to get back to business without needlessly endangering anyone.

However, you can't fix stupid and there will always be people that rebel against common sense and fly in the face of doing anything for anyone else. So be it, I just pray that they suffer the consequences of their choices and not others.
(5)

here’s another side on allowing all aisles open.... HD, Lowe’s, Ace are open all sections for us (Louisiana coastal). I’ve been to all 3 as flurry of extension cords, lighting etc as hubs WFH. I’m the shopper as he’s at risk. At HD & Lowe’s, I’ve seen lil 4-6 person family groups carousing the aisles, 1 had grandma too. Not shopping but a get out of the house family fun-day field trip; kids playing in the kitchen & outdoor design sections, gramma sitting in one of those plantation chairs scrolling her phone, the paint sample area at one looked like it had been raided for arts n crafts, the build a pond / water display had a frickin toy in it. Not a single one wearing masks or gloves. These folks were not shopping, not buying stuff, paying and getting out. Like the employees don’t have enough work stress to deal with.

HD did get water fountains sealed up & moved the coke machines out somewhere and put the snacks/ candy bar bins next to customer service last week tho’. So yeah I can understand why having nonessential items cordened off or covered up can be a good thing.
(6)

i have read about your restrictions and watched the protest of people in their cars. I hope your governor does not win re-election. I think her choices are awful. Not being able to buy paint and not allowing landscapers to buy their needs is terrible. I wish she could be forced to remove these barbaric restrictions.
(1)

I think one can make a personal choice to stay home or stay home more if restrictions are lifted.

One daughter of ours is in Houston and this is devastating to their small business. They can do some online business but they have specific inventory meant for this present time period. They are offering discounts and free shipping as incentives as well as curbside pickup for those interested but they are sitting on a large amount of inventory meant for this time period.

I am truly sorry for those sick and the tremendous loss of life. I am also concerned how those of us will be able to endure a fractured economy. My busband and I are fortunate as we are retired. I am more concerned for the generations after us.
(4)

Riverdale, we're not only not able to buy paint, but can't buy garden supplies at HD or Lowe's.   I'm not sure about grocery stores although they have a nominal selection anyway, and following the governor's mandate, probably will just move the gardening stands out of customer reach.

In addition we can't hire landscapers, so for those of us who can't or don't mow lawns, we either let them grow taller and face citation by cities, or we hope some goats will wander over and feed on our lawns.   I'm hoping for the latter; goats need to eat too.

I do think that those who refuse to maintain proper distance and refuse to wear masks are hazards and should be following those guidelines.  However, after the wild protest in the state capitol yesterday, I don't think there's as much actual understanding of the mandate as there is the desire to inject presidential politics into the mix.   

I've only been out 3 times since Feb., for laundry and groceries.   And now I really don't want to go out; I just dread waiting in the longer grocery lines if I don't get up around 5 am to shop during the early Senior hours.   And I also will resent it if anyone gets near me and isn't wearing a mask.

Tempers are beginning to flare, for a variety of reasons, but I've had it and have no sympathy for those who refuse to at least mask.

I have mixed feelings about opening up now.  I don't feel it's appropriate b/c the virus is far from under control.  OTOH, I'm haven't heard any traceable statistics verifying that closures are effective.    The infection chain needs to be traced to really determine how and where infections are transmitted, and that's not being done.  

The one advantage about having a junky looking house is that hopefully it'll be less of a temptation to criminals, which I anticipate are going to start crawling out of their rat holes as opportunities present themselves, especially if food lines become as long as those in San Antonio and people are away from their houses for hours.
(2)

Without testing (wide spread testing) it is a dangerous game. Well, so many of the 10% just want their economy back and if a few (2-5%) of us peasants have to die to get it...well...it is a small percent, and they should be glad to die to bring the economy back for them...right?
(13)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter