Follow

AND no physiciotioc meds, it also stated never to expire, at death, because if I had to still dispute medical issues and medical records, my husband was rushed to to hospital, er, drs said he had 100% blockage, I never saw proof of blockage at all. They said he needed to have an angiogram, and stent put in, he was allergic to IVP DYES contrast, they never contacted my husbands cardiologist, to see if the angiogram could be done they went against the DNR telling me that he needed it to survive. Was this legal to go against his wishes DNR? He went into a drug induced coma, died in Hospice care, almost bled to death too. I was furious. I was in total shock too, because I only signed to do it because the dr. told me he needs it to survive. I thought his cardiologist was informed, but never called, and he was against the procedure, my husband's cardiologist did stents 2008. My husband was allergic to Blood thinners too, he was diabetic, and heart disease, but still shouldn't of had this procedure done. Died 2018, after 10 days from admitted to ICU. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
You might ask an attorney to go over the document with you and answer your questions. It might help you feel better. Most of what you describe sounds like an Advance Medical Directive, not a POA. And the directives are normally in place when a person says IF they are terminally ill or have advanced dementia or language to that effect.
(1)

The POA dies with the person who it pertained to. The PR of the estate picks up after death.

You made the decision to sign the approval without doing your due diligence. This is not unusual as under stress people make uninformed decisions.

I am very much in favor of people not just assuming, this I do not do, I need to totally understand before I make any decisions pertaining to my or a LO's well being.

My opinion is that ppl have too much faith in what a doctor says, I question them. Keep in mind they all didn't graduate at the top of their class.

I am so sorry to hear this, let it go, nothing can be done to bring him back. I wish you the best.
(0)

All these questions should have been asked when he came into the ER. If the patient can't answer, then the family member is asked. First thing is there a DNR, which is usually given to the EMTs if there is an ambulance called. Then is there a living will. Then what allergies. Which, since Mom had been there before was in the records.
(0)

I think the word "expire" is used incorrectly. The first couple of sentences are confusing to me.

A DNR is Do Not Resusitate. So, if husbands heart stopped, they were not to try and start it.

Were you not asked about allergies and if he had a living will. My Moms medical POA was written like a living will. Did his say no extreme measures. Did his Cardiologist have privlidges at the hospital.

The problem I see with Hospitals in the area, they don't consult with the doctors that aren't affiliated with them. My Moms neurologist was affiliated with the hospital. I gave the nurse a list of Moms doctors. They told me they were waiting for a consult from a neurologist. I asked, who, it wasn't Moms. I told them hers was listed as her doctor and he should be the one to consult. Not one who didn't know Mom. I think it should be a law that when the hospital is made aware of a person's doctor that the one caring for the patient should consult with that doctor. A lot less mistakes would be made. I also had where dye was going to be used on Mom. The NP mentioned Moms kidneys could be effected so a test would need to be done. TG I was there because...Mom only has one kidney and it works half capacity. So they couldn't have used the dye and Mom didn't have to go thru the test.

Seems to me there were a number of errors made. Since ur husband was already seeing a Cardiologist he should have been consulted. If you weren't asked about allergies, you should have been. You may have grounds for a lawsuit.
(0)

Who rushed your husband to hospital?

At what point was the ER doctor informed of your husband's health directives (including DNR)?
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter