Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Send, there you go!

In New York City there is a drop in type facility for overnight, of course there is a day program as well. Evidently the wait list is extensive to get a slot. Google, Riverspring at night in New York. First in the country of this sort of facility. Imagine caregivers could get a night off to go to dinner with friends, or their spouse, or just stay home and watch a show or two that we want to watch and at a comfortable volume.

I've also thought about a secure patio home type facility. A grouping of six, eight, ten tiny homes, with onsite caregivers. Elderly could mingle with each other, nap, watch a movie, whatever. They go back to their tiny home. How many to a tiny home? Probably two. And those tiny home kits relatively cheap, but infrastructure would push costs up, but not to the point of a large facility.
(1)

FF, sign me up, I want a job like yours, that is where my work experience is, planning. Where do I look for work like that. Ideally, with my caregiving experience and planning working for the developer of senior facilities would be perfect!

The American Planning Association has started an effort to try to meet the needs of us boomers, with affordability a primary concern, they know it is going to be a problem with so many of us aging, and they want to figure out how to make these facilities incorporated into neighborhoods and communities.
(1)

Glad, thanks for joining in! As this thread evolved, I kept thinking about the perfect job for you in this, and now here you are! Time to make your own job and start a elder spa.
What if it was for the client and their family caregiver? Client in dayroom activities and family caregiver in the gym and spa.
(0)

Send, no for me too much direct hands on after four years of 24/7. Franchise opportunities? Don't know at all about that, will think on it though. And financial backing? HEY, DONALD! You listening?
(1)

Yeah, donald can be the first client, we can set him straight, get him fixed up again, maybe he can run for office?
(1)

Glad, I meant you could be in the planning, design, administration, not the daily hands on.
(1)

Saw Riverspring at night, drop in has everything. If there is a waiting list....the drop-in part should be next door and much smaller.

Since the visitor/guest/client would be short term, the grouping maybe should be small rooms just outside a huge dayroom. People will get lost. The more separate the rooms, the more 24 hr. Staff required?
(0)

However, knowing my limitations, I am never going to be a part of this idea. It seems great for others and could be a worthy endeavor.
(0)

Maybe we all should just start dropping in to our neighbor's homes, supporting each other's lives. I could do that as long as I have something to give that they need.

As for donald, they should add an extra choice on the ballot: A vote of no confidence for all the candidates.
(0)

Here I am, we will just re-name Starbucks as the new daycare center and nursing home, drop off your mom/dad, shop at Vons. Give them a kindle for christmas and set them down. With a little planning, this is free to sit here.
(2)

Back in the 80's and 90's it was popular to drop your teens off at the mall, now you want us to drop off our seniors?
Lets see, it is climate controlled, there is mall walking for exercise, the food court for meals, lots of handicapped accessible washrooms, people watching for entertainment, even piped in music. And best of all it doesn't cost anything unless you go on a shopping spree...Sendme, I think you are on to something!
(1)

Ah, and there is mall security. The senior could be fitted with a special gps locator, so if they tried to leave the mall, security could re-direct them! And, they could carry little bitty coins to pay for their purchases ( sort of a pre-purchse that had to be approved by the caregiver when brought out to the car, sneaking back any unapproved pkgs.).
This is a good plan for the more functional elderly.
All I would be wanting is a place to lie down.
(0)

Doesn't this all sound like a five star resort service anyway? Forget the nursing homes. I'm going to the jacuzzi!
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter