Follow

I have been pretty much house bound caring for my husband since Nov 2018. I was able to go on quilting retreats about once a month from the time I retired in 2012 until Nov 2018.
My family loves to go on all family vacations, and I have had to turn down the invites. This year they are planning to go to Rosemary Beach in Florida in Aug. So today, I started looking into Respite Care, thanks to my wonderful caregiver. On May 3, I am going to tour 2 facilities to see what they have to offer to take care of him for a week. Then, I'll have a better idea of what will be available when the time comes.
Which might be sooner than I had thought, because today he told me he knew my name. But he didn't think we were married. Even tho "Janie" ( the name of my grandmother's caregiver 35 years ago) said we were.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Maple,

Shedding tears is natural. Wishing you all the best as you move forward. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
(2)

Update on my First Step. Today I toured 2 facilities for my husband so I can go on vacation in August. After visiting the first one, I sat in the car and cried for 15 minutes. Its a lovely facility. It is one run by the same company as the assisted living facility my stepmother was in. I will probably book his stay there.
But it all just seems so final. That i have given up all hope of him ever getting better. Which i know in my head he never will. But its just so hard and so damned sad.
(1)

Revive & survive! 👍😇

I'd image there will be nerves being away the first time, but hopefully they settle quickly & it becomes a really positive change to your lives.

Respite is taking care of BOTH of you. Well done for taking this step.
(1)

That’s great news! I hope you find a suitable place and you are able to enjoy your trip. Respite time is mandatory for caregivers, it’s so smart to do this.
(1)

Good for you! I cannot imagine how much harder this would be alone :(
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter