Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
You go Girl !!! I take care of my sister 24/7 (Alzheimer's) and I find that saying "in a minute" or "not right now" or "as soon as I'm ready" gives me just that little bit of control over my own life that I so desperately need. She'll hand me a piece of tissue for me to throw away. If I moved every time she asked me to, I'd be nothing but skin and bones!!! Good for you for standing your ground! Sometimes healthy people with dementia get really good at manipulating us ! I love my sister to pieces, but I have no problem telling her she can do it herself and I'll watch. lol
(2)

As far as the men stepping up, it is as others have said they are told they are not caregivers. After more than a year of bathing and doing bedtime care for my FIL, I explained to my husband that I didn't want to continue having every evening tied up, for an indefinite period. He said would be willing, but did not feel comfortable doing it and asked me to walk him through it several times. He then started giving care every other evening. (His sister, when she came to visit did not pick up the care.) My husband was glad he could serve his dad in that manner. As far as my parents go, my 5 brothers have all done various things to help my parents. Although I probably do the most, my brothers step up when I ask for a specific need. Also, by asking them to step in, my dad has learned he can ask them too. It has been a learning curve for all of us to change our life long roles. I do have one brother who has not been as responsive. I think it is he has not properly grieved his wife's death at the age of 44. My mom is in a memory care unit for 5 years and he has visited her 1 time, because another brother insisted he go with him. He had been the momma's baby growing up. This is to say there are emotional issues that also determine how we interact with our parents.
(0)

If the guys are not asked they won't help but by asking then you plant a seed that they can help - we ladies become enablers of the men in our lives who don't help just as much as if we were driving to a liquor store & buying booze for an alcoholic -

It doesn't matter if the towels are folded just right as long as they are clean because you can take them out of a laundry basket & use them without them ever sitting on a shelf - help come in many forms - eg. the brothers could even take on the gardening at the sisters' places or home maintenance to free up time on the sisters' roster if they find themselves incapable of directly helping their mom but generally it is just excuses as they expect sis to pick up the slack

This doesn't come easy to anyone but women generally see a job that needs to be done & do it whereas men don't see that job at all - sometimes men just need to be awakened to what is necessary - I mean that the sons help & not that they pawn it off on their wives because this is their mom/dad when all is said & done
(2)

Good for you! Enjoy more days in the future! I too feel guilty if I don’t call my dad every single day and go take him to town every other day. I would like to just say no occasionally. You have given me inspiration.
(0)

Moecam I love the #youtoo idea!

In addition to caring for my Mom, I work as a Pediatrician and so have quite a bit of insight into women's lives. In any given day, 85% of people who bring kids to see me are Moms - regardless of how many hours they work in and outside of the home. It seems to me this caregiver gender role imbalance is very clearly still in place as we care for our aging parents.

I think it might be that there was an unexpected dark side to the Women's Movement. Of course, it gave us a tremendous amount of opportunity and I am eternally grateful for the women who came before me and faught so hard. With that opportunity, though, came a lot more social and financial responsibility. And here it is... the problem with the Women's Movement is that there was not a corresponding and equal Men's Movement. As women took on more responsibilities outside of the home, men didn't for the most part pick up the domestic slack. Of course, there are wonderful exceptions but from my view point, spending my days talking with Moms (and now fellow elderly parents caregivers) as I do, these aren't all that common.

I'm 52 and think of myself as in a kind of cusp generation. Not really a Baby Boomer, not exactly Gen X either. My peers and I have seen a lot of change in our lifetimes. When I was a kid, most Moms were home - working Moms weren't common - their children were "latch key kids" (when was the last time you heard that one?). For me, though, there were very different expectations. It wasn't a matter of would I go to college and have a career - it was a matter of which one? So I happily went along, preparing myself for a productive life as a physician, married along the way and then BAM! - kids came into my life. I had no idea how to balance work and kids - had no role model. I had to, in effect, be both my mother AND my father.

In those early days, my husband spent a lot of time fishing. Yes, I did learn to let him know what I needed him to do and yes when prompted he did step up to the plate but really?? Do men really need a list?

In the past few years, as my kids have moving slowly toward independence, my parents (just Mom now) have started the slow slide toward total dependence. Again, I find myself at the helm in providing care, and when I look around what is see for the most part is other women doing the same. It's not hauling strollers and car seats around in parking lots any more - now it's cane and walkers. It doesn't really feel that different.

So yeah, Moecam, right on with the #youtoo. Sign me up.
(2)

Awesome! You did the right thing for self. Self care is so important! My break from my mom is going to work Mon-Fri..she has dementia and the caregiver is with her all day. Mom lives with me and so I have no time off from her on weekends and weeknights unless someone in the family feels so bad for me (no more than 3 times a year) to keep her. I'm hoping to plan a birthday trip away this year so I am giving my family enough notice because my birthday is in December so someone can watch her for me to celebrate my birthday.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter