Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I had the same thing happen to me. My sister first filed an "Elder Abuse" complaint about me about my dad. It was investigated by the social worker, they interviewed him and found no basis. A few weeks later, she filed a motion for "guardianship" because she mentioned in the motion that I have been "misappropriating " his money for my self. On the day of the hearing, they withdrew the complaint, but her lawyer sent him a the cost for his services. a bill. I am POA for both my parents who I have been careing for for 20 years.
(1)

Be brave, do the right things, and document well. APS has to err on the side of investigating all reports, reporters are relatively protected from anything that could be retaliation and inhibit reporting of true abuse, and bad faith is so hard to prove. They will normally let you know the report was made and that it was unfounded, no matter how many times it happens. They are not infallible but will normally see through any phony reporting - treat them as kindly as you can when they come over and they should understand that the whole thing makes you angry and nervous, but do your best to keep your cool, show concern and respect, but you can certainly let out a little frustration that the person making these reports has not even been around or been trying to help in any way and you do not understand it.
(1)

Whew, and I thought our family was the only one dysfunctional to this point!! I am seeing that this behavior is somewhat typical on the part of a family member (sibling, in my case) who probably carries around a lot of guilt for not being involved in the caregiving of his/her loved one. I try to convince my sis that it is OK that she is not helping, not everyone is alike--just wish she would stay away and not make trouble by bringing her omnipresent drama into our home!
(1)

BTW, the sis I refer to above is a liar, a thief, sociopath and a narcissist! She comes under the guise of helping, only to go thru everything in the home so she can steal what she wants and thinks she can get away with. Fun girl.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter