Follow
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
What state are you in? I'm in Mass. We have an eldercare service that pays for most of Mom,s daycare. She has a copay of $45/month for 3 days a week from 9 to 3. Does your mom qualify for visiting nurses or physical therapists? Check with your local senior center to see if they have volunteers to sit with her. If she is on Medicaid, you may be able to get paid for taking care of her. I can't because Mom has just enough $ to keep her from qualifying. Glad you got out to breakfast. We haven't been able to do that in a while. Can't even get out for a walk when weather is nice. Got to go. Mom has diarrhea today. Yuck!!!
(0)

Beta how about some ear plugs for your mom. That may help somewhat. Surroundsound is the best!!!
(0)

to deefer12- my husband not too happy either- mom here for 1 week - had my daughter come on sat. for 3 hours so we could pull out the harley ( which i have not wanted to use) so we went to breakfast- is there any money to pay someone to watch parent at night or few hours on weekend so you two can get away regurlarly. The problem i have is that my hubby likes to watch action movies loudly and it scares my mom -plus we have surround sound- i dont want her to be scared but i also dont want my husband to feel that he cant do what he wants
(0)

Sunshine, I have been caring for Mom for 4 years now. I am 58 and have 1 grown daughter. My husband has not been to happy about the situation because we are tied to the house on weekends when he is off from work. I have 6 siblings, 5 of who are close enough to be able to help, but they are always busy. I can't imagine trying to do this with 3 children Are they young?
The one thing you will hear from everyone, is that care giving almost always falls on the shoulders of one child, no matter how many siblings are involved. The expert is correct in her advice. Search the web for any local elder services that you can find. It can be time consuming and will involve home assessments, etc.,but if you can get services, it will take some of the burden off of you
Definitely look for a local adult daycare. Mom goes 3 days a week for 6 hours. That gives me time to rest, shop, clean my house, or just sit and do nothing! Be patient. It will take some time to find the right services, but they are out there. Good luck!!!
(1)

It's got to be horribly stressful. Please go to your state's Web under aging services and look for their version of the Family Caregiver Support Program. They have help available.
Carol
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter