Follow

Do you feel like dogs have a special connection with the elderly? Please share your stories.

This is the first time in my life that I don’t have a dog or cat. As a kid I also had hamsters, turtles, a rabbit and fish. Dogs and cats are my favorite.

They are a responsibility and felt like I needed a break. Not sure if I want to get a dog again because it breaks my heart when I have to bring them to the vet to be euthanized.

Placed under relationships because there isn’t a suitable category. Seems close enough because we do build strong relationships with our animals.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
They are our fur babies. I don’t have grandchildren either. I used to watch my daughter’s little dog and I called him my grandpuppy!

Sorry that you didn’t get to wash your mom’s hair.
(1)

Needhelpwithmom, oh yes!! They can read our emotions!! I’ve been trying since May to wash my mothers hair. She won’t let me. I asked her tonight if I could use the shampoo cap on her head. I said I’ll be right back. It’s in my car. She yells out NO!! I’m not washing my hair.

I came home frustrated and upset and my rag doll lets me cry all over her. She is like a puppy. She follows me all over the house. She lets me carry her around the house.

I don’t have any grandchildren, so I have my fur babies.
(1)

Elaine,

Don’t you think they can read our emotions? I do. They know if we aren’t feeling well. They are very in tune with us.

I love to hear a cat purr...
(0)

Needhelpwithmom, this is the first time I have been able to post on this thread. Every time I did before it would say OOPS there is something wrong with this page. It wouldn’t let me click on your post until now.

My mother and grandmother never had animals their whole life. My grandmother never liked animals especially CATS!!! So my mother hates cats too!!!

I broke that cycle!! I have 3 cats that I adore!! I love them like family!! I have an orange tiger cat, a black and white cat, and a white rag doll cat. I can’t imagine life without my cats!!!
(1)

I really thought by posting this I would hear some great fur baby stories.

If you have a cute or funny story please share it.

Or a poignant story. I know of a few people who told me their dogs knew when their loved one was dying. Their senses are amazing to me.

Dogs are so smart. So intuitive. So loving and dedicated to their owners.
(0)

Dogs are special. My dog would follow me to school too!

My friend’s dog followed her into Mass too.

They are so attached to their human parents! 😊
(1)

I do think dogs understand when someone is in need. That happened with my son first and then my mom with our neighbor's dog.
Neighbors were away all day, their kid was no longer a kid and when my son was born the dog started to come to our place. He used to follow us everywhere, even went to kindergarten to wait for my son. At that time, I think this poor abandoned dog needed company. Then my mom became nearly blind and he would follow her walking at her side, waiting for her, helping her to cross the road. He would follow her to the hairdresser and wait for her there. I once had to quit Easter mass since he came inside the church looking for us...
We had a dog when I was a teenager and I would like to have another dog... But my husband says it is not the right moment. I am think he is right I already fully absorbed by my family, my mum and my job... A dog needs attention too. We had a rabbit who disappeared a couple of years ago, my mom was very fond of him. Speedy used to sleep under her bed when she was sleeping and sit close to her armchair when she listened to the tv (she doesn't see it).
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter