Follow

My 84 year old MIL lives with my husband and myself. I turn 50 this weekend and decided to have a birthday party last weekend. I asked if my stepdaughter would babysit her grandmother so we could have a nice party without her. MIL agreed to spend the night with her granddaughter, so we thought all good. Three weeks before the party she came out of her room and asked me if we would clean her bathroom after the party (guests would use this restroom), and we said of course we would. A few days later she comes out of her room and says to me she does not want anyone using her "John"-yes, she calls the bathroom "the John". My husband then speaks to her about this and she reluctantly agrees to only let MEN use her bathroom during the party because she is afraid of women with periods making a mess in her bathroom. (I can hardly contain my laughter right now). Mind you, I am turning 50-most of us don't have periods anymore. And even if we did, it's not like we would be smearing things all over the place! At my party, men and women used the restroom, unbeknownst to her, of course. But the funniest thing is that the next afternoon when she came home, I saw her in the bathroom with a face mask on. I guess she was scared of COVID, but it's not like it lives in the air for 14 hours. Mind you, the woman only bathes once a week and refuses to do laundry in my washing machine because "it washes the clothes too long". Thought this might give some of you a good laugh-I sure thought it was funny!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I have to say that most men don't leave an obvious mess as a guest. Yes, splatter is an issue but, it can be cleaned.

I actually handed a rag and cleaner to a guest, many years ago, and said, "You need to clean your mess up or leave and never come back."
(1)

Like MEN don't leave a mess when using the bathroom??????????????????????

Sorry, that got to me. I had 4 daughters and I taught them to properly and hygienically dispose of their 'feminine' stuff. And with 5 women on the same cycle--yeah it got crazy, but it wasn't a bloodbath.

On the OTHER hand, my 6'5" husband stands to urinate and it's like a water show on the Vegas strip. I make him sit down. My son also. I remember once spraying some pre-wash on the shower curtain and it made the urine turn blue...oh, my, gosh...it was so gross. I had no idea.

My son has 3 sons. He bought a home that actually had a 'man cave' in the basement and the bathroom had a urinal. They LOVE it.
(3)

You guys are awful.😊 You do have to have a sense of humor when u care for the elderly. God Love her.

I don't blame her about the washer. I have a 36 yr old original Maytag. (Manufactured by Whirlpool now) My wash goes thru the longest cycle (12 min) in a half hour at most. Not my daughters. She has newer ones with all the bells and whistles, which she doesn't use. It senses this and that and takes an hour to wash. Same with the dryer, it senses when there is no more moisture. I will stick with my, delicate and normal and heavy settings and set my own level of water. My dryer, I can pretty much tell where to set the heat. Thank god for my repairman that I very rarely need.

Congrats on turning 50. At 72 I wish I was 50 again.
(3)

Should have gotten a box of maxi-pads and a package of strawberry jam and stick them to the walls.

Gotta keep a sense of humor.
(4)

Oh, you are so much nicer than me.

I would have staged the bathroom to look like a party had taken place in there and I am working as fast as I can to get the house back in order but, sorry haven't reached your bathroom yet. Just to mess with her for assuming my friends were nasty.

I think she was being ugly trying to ruin your fun because she didn't get to stay and be the center of attention.

God bless you for taking this on. It is difficult at best, then add a nasty MIL attitude and, oh somebody just shoot me!

Finding a way to let it roll off your back, learning to tell her no and calling out bad behavior is the only way I know to survive this, not necessarily in that order either.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter