Follow
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
We have an old DOD complex a few miles away. There is the office buildings and old barracks. All brick. I thick it would be a great place for the homeless or Seniors on limited income. The baracks could be made into efficiency apts. The office building would be great for something like this. This is where our tax dollars should go to, not overseas.
(1)

Me either.  I don't and wouldn't qualify for any assistance either despite working my entire life and paying taxes, yet not earning enough SS to cover current bills.  HUD help, etc. are always closed, unfortunately.  Even food stamps are denied to many due to very strict qualifications.  I'm certain I wouldn't make it mentally in a facility anyway.  I'm exploring alternatives.
(1)

Where I live there are Senior living Apartments run by HUD. They charge rent on scale. So if you bring in 1500 a month (SS and pension if u have one) they charge 30% so ur rent would be $500 a month. Cable and electric would be ur responsibility. The one I have been in has a Common area. Its in walking distance to some stores. Transportation is provide by the transit system.

I suggest you call your Office of Aging and ask if they can help or point u in the right direction. Most communities have some kind of Senior center. My Church allows small dogs if they aren't disrupted.

For now your problem is your dog. Unless a licensed service dog, he/she can't go everywhere with you. Are there dog parks near you. These are good places for meeting others.
(0)

Lynnsy - There is more acceptance now about bringing pet dogs/cats to work. I used to work in an office where one of my colleagues brought her golden retriever to work everyday. Everyone loved that dog. She brought calm and joy to the office.

Seniors love pets. Your Jasmine might be welcomed at the senior center. You can call ahead and inquire. Other places might welcome her as well.
(0)

After looking through this sight I had the impression it was for people looking for or already involved in caregiving. Or for parents of aging looking for a nice place for them to consider living. Myself, I am fortunate to have a place to rent I can afford providing I have a roommate. My SS could pay household expenses and rent but iy would use all my resources. I have considered a part time job but it's not a likely possibility unless my Pet (Jasmine) could go to work with me. I would love that but she has extreme separation anxiety and so do I. I know, it's as ridiculous as it sounds. She is 10 years old and has been away from me rarely. She stands and rocks herself when she is upset and at this point I don't want to add to her anxiety. I realize it's unhealthy for her and I, but Finances make it difficult for me to take her to daycare or other facilities to help us get over this. It's gotten progressively worse since my Husband Hal passes in 2011. Nine years is a long time to have your life revolved around one significant person, speaking for both of us. I suppose I have settled into the only routine that seems to work for now. I feel the roommates I have had the last couple times have been more of a detriment aside from the money. I apparently am a poor judge of character, for some peculiar reason I want to believe what people tell me. I have learned in a very painful way that everyone in the world is not honest or trustworthy. Thank you all for your input, you have mentioned some possible ideas that may work. I appreciate you all taking the time.
(1)

Great idea. I companion sit with a couple that soooooo enjoys their time at the senior community center near them.

They have lunch with their friends almost every day.
(1)

Lynnsy - do you live near a senior center? I have an aunt who lives alone and she goes to a local senior center everyday. She enjoys the activities offered there. She takes up ping pong, line dancing, and art classes, and making friends. There are many activities to choose from, and sometimes there are field trips, too. I highly recommend joining a senior center if you live near one.

How about volunteering? Local libraries, churches, non-profits usually are always in need of volunteers.

It is not good being alone and lonely. It's depressing and affects your health negatively.
(1)

Do you drive? Can you volunteer someplace (post-virus when life goes back to normal)? Are you currently in a home or apartment? Look into Section 8 housing or contact your local area's Council on Aging for housing info.
(1)

Can you check into 55+ communities?

They have scheduled activities and usually a clubhouse for activities and get togethers.

You have your own place and an active community of peers right out your front door.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter