Follow

I cannot get him qualified for Medicaid because he was on mortgage docs with a sibling a few years ago (inside the look back window). Dad is being penalized, it looks as if he gifted the house. He was forced out because of a dispute. So, I relocated him here NC-central. How do you find memory care options? He only has Medicare. Safety first: He has dementia so WHERE do you CALL? We are paying for his memory care, but I sold everything I could, to keep him there a few months... then what? HELP! I am in CRISIS MODE!

Find Care & Housing
I hope the MC he is in now accepts Medicaid.
Talk to an Elder Care Attorney.

And there is a possibility if he is a Veteran there VA may be of some help. And if he is a Veteran where and when he served will be important as will ANY and ALL other medical conditions he may have.
If he is a Veteran contact your local Veterans Assistance Commission or your States Office of Veterans Affairs.
(0)

Have you applied before and turned down because of this Mortgage? From what I have gathered on this forum, there is a penalty period, once that period is satisfied he can apply again. Its not a forever thing. The problem now might be, if u moved him out of State. Different Medicaid. Consult with an elder lawyer.

Some new info for me, if you go into a Mortgage with someone, make sure your on the deed. Medicaid should not question if you are part owner.
(0)

This is the ugly truth we are never told. Without a long term care plan, you are left to burn through assets quickly to pay for memory care. Medicare doesn’t pay for room and board, which is 90% of the cost. And when you run out of assets, there is a mad scramble and stress to find an alternative. Generally it’s getting them on Medicaid then somewhere with a Medicaid bed that is available, which is hard to come by. Most places are private pay only.

so other people are right. Talk to an elder care lawyer right away but also reach out to your state’s elderly resources because each state is different.

so Sorry you are going through this. I had to sell my moms home and am using that money to pay for MC but she will likely outlive her $ and I still don’t have answers here in Florida.
(0)

Yes, you need a good attorney to straighten this out. I’m sorry you are paying out of your pocket. What you need to do is retain a good lawyer, and/or get a state elder care social worker to step in and help.
(1)

We’re currently redoing our family trust to separate my dad’s 401k & condo from my mom’s SS & pensions, so she can qualify for Medicaid and my dad & his assets/income can’t be dinged in the future to pay for her care. Went thru SeniorPlanning.org who referred us to an elder-care lawyer. They’re also assisting us w/long-term-care (ALTCS) qualified memory-care placement.
(1)

I think that only an attorney can advise you in this.

Your Dad has gifted a home.

If this was FORCED upon him as you indicate, then that is elder fraud, so it is time to see an attorney.

Unless YOU are the one the home was gifted to, it is poor decision making to use your own funds to pay for your father. That means you yourself will not have funds for your own old age, and you can see already the cost of it.

See an attorney. I wish you luck, but this awful situation can only meanwhile serve as a warning to others. I am so sorry for you, and for this.
(2)

If there was no p[aperwork showing a quit claim deed or other transfer of that property, it should be sold to pay for his care and then get the application in for LTC MA once income and assets are nearly gone.

An atty should be able to help with this and if you've not already consulted with one, now is the time.
(0)

I am in same boat she will be evicted from memory care in january need an affordible place for her . She doesnt qualify for medicaid
(0)

You definitely need an attorney involved in this whole home dispute business, because no one can afford care on their own if they have no assets, particularly MC which is usually run by corporate owners now.

Do think to check out Board and Care in your area. They are often more affordable, and may accept patients who would not qualify for ALF and can't afford MC.

Option is likely a nursing home, but even that without funds and without Medicaid isn't going to work well. You definitely need an elder law attorney in your area to straighten out the financial end of things; I think you are then looking at a nursing home for care.
(3)

Contact a certified elder law attorney or estate planner or consult with a Medicaid Planner for NC, his new state of residence.
(2)

Have you consulted with an Elder Law attorney?
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter