Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I like the PI idea. My aunt's sister is in bad shape mentally. I don't think she could handle it. I have decided to go ahead and try for the conservatorship. I figure I have nothing to lose and hate to see these people use her like that. I have also laid lots of ground work with police report, Adult Soc Services.
(1)

Contact her bank -- they are "mandatory reporters" for financial abuse of elders. APS will not call you, you need to call them (maybe repeatedly). Write down the name of who you talk to. Nothing like own "name on the line" to make people pay attention.
Start a notebook now, write down ALL contact you have w/APS, bank, etc. Date, time, person you talked to, what you told them (in brief).
$3k - is this the caregiver's pay? Wouldn't be excessive for 2 wks care + food, but if she is already being paid...uh oh!
Credit card -- report potential identity theft/fraud TO THE CREDIT CARD CO-again, -- since they are the ones on the hook, they may at least give her a small limit. You may have to go the dementia route & "undue influence" charges against caregiver. Look up caregiver to see if similar charges already filed.
(1)

Update and thank you for all the helpful suggestions. I just got my termination papers from my aunt's new attorney. I am disinherited but also no longer PA, MPA, or anything else. She named her CPA in my place. I am beyond thrilled and relieved. From what I know he is a stand up guy. (It was her new attorney's advice to use him as PA) He plans to put the caregiver on a salary and withhold taxes. That will stop the financial abuse in its tracks which was my primary concern. The alienation toward my sister and I we can attempt to repair and it will help not having to be in charge of her life and well being. I am going to get the details on conservatorship from an attorney ( already have appt before letter) and let Adult Social Services and police report play out. But I am FREE! This cpa is youngish, I don't think he quite knows what he is in store for with all the medical stuff but it is not my problem anymore. Repeat..not my problem! I haven't felt this good in years. Now I just have to take care of her sister who is always appreciative.

Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions. It saved me.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter